Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

updated 12/31/19* The 2020 Thread is here 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Hey all!  Welcome to Year 5 of the No/Low Buy thread 😲

Since 2019 is LITERALLY around the corner so I figured it was time to get this thread started.  The 2018 thread can be located here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/2018-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILI...

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

The 2017 OP and link:

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler

Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@ShortErica Sales and free shipping offers are my biggest weakness. It’s really easy to talk myself into “needing” something if it is on sale. I’ve got to get in the mindset that things will go on sale again and I don’t have to have them now🤦‍♀️

@faeriegirl  They’ll go on sale again... and again, and again, and again 😏

I took a break from BIC for a few months while I was on a no-buy. When I returned, skimming posts from that time period made me realize that sales and GWPs always come back around. FOMO is a great motivator to break a no-buy, but only until you realize that very few products and offers are truly limited edition anymore 😉

Me too!  Terrible place to be- it's on sale, I must have it. If they would throw another up to 50% off sale out there, or another 20% off anything sale, I'd nose-dive in again. @faeriegirl 

@faeriegirl Okay, here's an idea, how about when you want something on sale, you count the items you have in that category and possibly look if you would have a dupe for it. Because if you have something similar enough you won't "need" it.

I have a product spreadsheet that helps keep me in check because of the number of products and tracking how long it takes to use them but it can be cumbersome to get started. I think just rechecking what you have that is like the item could be a good start without having to create an entire document. Your pictures looked like your makeup is organized so I'm guessing it wouldn't be too difficult to just look at what you have as a pause before pulling (or not!) the trigger with something on sale.

Another idea is to set a goal of use X product(s) in a category up before you buy another.

You are so right that it will be on sale again. 🙂

@ShortErica I definitely need to start working on a list of everything I have, I think that will help a lot.

@faeriegirl I believe @itsfi does a spreadsheet too so maybe she'll have some tips for creating one.

Thank you @ShortErica!

@faeriegirl They say it takes on average 4 months to get a handle on understanding a budget when you first start, so probably this should be a similar time frame, just keep on trying and learning your weak spots and it'll get better!

Thank you @Brutalitops!

Alright you guys, after years of low key wanting to join this thread but thinking I didn’t have it in me to follow through on a low buy or no buy, I think I’ve found my motivation.  I saved up my Sephora receipts for a year and couldn’t close my receipt drawer this morning.  I decided to cut out a list of products that is extremely eye opening and nausea inducing.  Ha, and I taped it to my mirror to remind me I have a consumption problem in case I get any crazy ideas about buying anything new- also to keep track of which items I bought in the last year I’m actually using and using up to keep me honest.   I HAVE to break this cycle of shopping for things I just want to try once.  I say this as I have a rather large haul collected right beside me.  

My no buy starts now but for time tracking purposes I’m declaring it to be June 1st.  My goal is to work through my stupidly vast hoard and only buy what I need.  (Worries I may not need to buy anything for a loooooong time)

I need nothing and want everything.  This has to change. 15967EFF-9E57-4036-8C94-BF0C51448389.jpeg

Buying what you need vs. want is always an challenge. But...

Buying what you need vs. want is always an challenge. But, you can do this.. it might help to write it out so you can an reminder. I'm starting to learn to not go crazy and enjoy it in doses!

Love the printout @heartsmyface. Let us know how to help if/when you need it. You can do it!

@ShortErica   Thanks.  I’m sure i’ll need some talking down from a few shopping sprees in the near future.  Just getting through day 1 seems like an achievement.  :D.  

One day at a time @heartsmyface 

Image result for you can do it gif

@heartsmyface I so get this. My biggest vice is generally clothing but I definitely buy way more makeup than I need too. While my biggest  expenditure in any given year is always skincare, it's pretty horrifying to realize that I maintained rouge status even as a college student who chose not to go to the doctor at times because the $25 copay was more than my budget could handle. While a lot of this was some manifestation of my anxiety, graduating and having the time to breathe and evaluate my decision making processes/ behaviors has lead me to realize that a lot of the things I get super excited about are pretty passable if/when I manage to get a sample size or try them. I think participating in the pan it challenge is a great idea and I am always super impressed by your goals and your progress! Keeping the reciepts up is another great idea, and I wish you luck on your journey! 

@Brutalitops  nah I kinda get that.  It’s  nice to have something tangible to show for your money.  I don’t like paying a $5 shipping charge when i’m perfectly happy to waste that same $5 on a coffee i might not drink.  

One day I will pan a palette.  One day.  A long long time from now.  That thread may be more meaningful now that I’m not trying to use up one lipstick while bringing in fifteen others.  😅

if there’s anything I can do to help with your goals let me know.  I hope to support everyone here as well.  

@heartsmyface I always start to panic whenever I get close to the end of something I like and then.... stop using it 😬😅 I cannot figure out this mentality because the colors/formulas still exist- I can simply buy another- I just buy something else as a 2/3 used tube sits in my drawer. 

In other news I'm a hoarder and a crazy person 😂

@Brutalitops Oh really?  That’s funny cause I’m the opposite!  If I get low on something I get excited cause it means I can clear up some space soon. Usually for more products but we’re not doing that now.  

If certain products get too low they tend to lose their appeal but I still try to get every last bit out them cause I paid for that!  

That may be a fun project for you- to use up your near empty products.  They’re doing you no good if you’re not using them right?  May as well get every penny you spent on them out of them.  

Hahaha, I like to call myself an organized hoarder.  It’s odd cause I’m a minimalist in other areas of my life but with makeup It’s different.   And crazy people are wasaaay more interesting than ‘normal’ people so consider that a good thing;) 

@heartsmyface I've been seriously stalking the pan it page and the empties page. I think the participation would help me keep on track and stay focused on using vs collecting which would definitely be healthy for me. I am just concerned about my ability to commit to remembering to post but again, I don't see why that should hold me back

I've kept all of my receipts for this year as well.....

And I relate to much of what you've said.  I should create my own no buy list of shame.  I need to get back to finding my best skincare, slowly. And going through more samples that I have to find what works. @heartsmyface 

@l8totheparty somehow keeping receipts hidden in a drawer didn’t register but they do now.   LOL, i didn’t know what else to call it but if you think it’ll help go for it!   Ugh, be prepared to feel a range of emotions once it’s done and you see the extent of it all.  Just walking by it is turning me off internet browsing.  

I’m thinking I’ll need to take up reading in bed.  A lot of my shopping is the result of me laying in bed awake at night and bored.  

testing