Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

updated 12/31/19* The 2020 Thread is here 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Hey all!  Welcome to Year 5 of the No/Low Buy thread ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Since 2019 is LITERALLY around the corner so I figured it was time to get this thread started.  The 2018 thread can be located here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/2018-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILI...

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

The 2017 OP and link:

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler

Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Good luck @heartsmyface! I donโ€™t even want to think about how much I have spent in just 2019 much less a whole year๐Ÿ˜ฌ

@faeriegirl hahaha, yeah, letโ€™s just say itโ€™s bad and leave it at that.

Storing all the products is becoming an issue and I have a friggen beauty room!!!    Itโ€™s not feeling luxurious anymore and just feels cluttered which is not how it should be.   

Iโ€™ve been doing pretty well on my low buy. Most of the time when Iโ€™ve gone into Sephora Iโ€™ve just looked around. I bought some things once and they all came off the clearance rack. I spent about $30. Thatโ€™s way less than the $100 Iโ€™ve spent in the past. 

@divaknits Good job!  Glad to see your low buy is working for you!  Itโ€™s motivating!  

Thanks @heartsmyface ! I recently had a moment, but Iโ€™m trying to get back on track. 

Awesome job @divaknits!

Good job @divaknits!!! Way to keep up that mindful spending!!! 

Thanks @sephoraaddict918 !

Great job @divaknits! Keep it up!

Thanks @ShortErica!

Help please! I need accountability for this summer. I have made the no buy pledge for the month of June and REVISED my no buy in July to a a low buy pledge. It's not realistic for me to no buy for both months. I've been stocking up on staple products. I likely need one skincare item during June. My plan is to hold until the low buy in July begins. I've been thinking about this since April. My purchases have slim and I even cancelled all my subscription boxes to avoid temptation. My family, co-workers and now my local Ulta friend knows about my no buy next month. She gave me her word to not sale me anything and scoot me out the store. Ha! I know this will be a task for me. I'm a browser at heart. I love to check out new products, make a purchase or three and share samples with co-workers. I'm determined to go through the process and hope the group can give me the encouragement to stay on task. 

@IndyQT317  i like the idea of letting everyone in your circle know about your self discipline challenge so you have a support system at the ready wherever you are.  

@IndyQT317 we are definitely in the same boat! I love browsing on line and even more so in store, but the store tends to trip me up more. Some strategies that have helped me are deleting and not saving any of my credit card or address info online. Even the slight inconvenience is enough for me to rethink an impulse purchase. Another has been saving any purchase over $35 for the sales and at/under for a fabulous GWP that I can't live without/ waiting on purchases of items i need to replace for samples I actually want to try. This helps because now when I do make a purchase, I always have at least one extra goodie to try/play with and by waiting I can better evaluate how much I actually want an item. 

In store I make browsing a game- can I find dupes of this new/exciting item (swatches, whatever) in things I already own? This one is tricky since a lot of my pretty limited collection is actually limited releases or just not available in my nearest store,  but it still helps esp. with eye palettes

Good luck!

@Brutalitops  oh good idea with the browsing game.  We probably all have good enough dupes for most new products coming out.  I donโ€™t think Iโ€™m there yet where I want to test my resolve going into a Sephora, but Iโ€™ll keep that game in the armoury.  

@heartsmyface The store is definitely hardest for me since I'll frequently find things I wouldn't have looked at or considered online in addition to the things I may have gone in to look at. I also tend to feel guilty if I spend a lot of time in the store and don't buy anything, which is a hurdle I need to get over because I spend plenty of money at sephora and a trip where I don't buy anything can only be good.

A game changer for me generally has been trying to commit to only purchasing things in store. If I'm not motivated enough to make time for a trip to the store, I don't need it. I know that can't work for everyone with distances and travel considerations, but it's another trick that's worked for me

@Brutalitops ouhhhhh, iโ€™m on a straight up no buy right now but that may be a good option for whenever I reach the point I need something.  I was thinking I could convince my hubs to pick me up any items I specifically need to avoid any temptation- at least until Iโ€™ve retrained myself.  

@heartsmyface it's been a learning process for sure. Online shopping is my biggest problem because it's so easy to just place an order without really thinking. I'm doing much better than a couple months ago but there's still plenty of progress I need to make if I want to meet my financial goals for paying off my loans

We are here for you @IndyQT317 to be a sounding board and to give encouraging words. If you happen to slip up, don't beat yourself up about it. We've all been there. Good luck in your more mindful spending quest!! 

@IndyQT317 I dont know how big your collection is but could a shop your stash help you? You could browse through your own products vs. new ones at the store. Good luck and we're here to help!

Hi @ShortErica! Yeah, I enjoy shopping my stash often. It...

Hi @ShortErica! Yeah, I enjoy shopping my stash often. It is a decent size, but I still enjoy looking at new product arrivals and launches. Just need to get better with looking or sampling. Less purchasing..

Re: Hi @ShortErica! Yeah, I enjoy shopping my stash often. It...

That's good. I think asking for samples could be a smart start. If you have a convenient Sephora you could allow yourself to browse but no purchases until you've tested a sample @IndyQT317. I'll try to think of other suggestions. I know we all have different temptations.

1 Reply
testing