Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

updated 12/31/19* The 2020 Thread is here 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Hey all!  Welcome to Year 5 of the No/Low Buy thread ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Since 2019 is LITERALLY around the corner so I figured it was time to get this thread started.  The 2018 thread can be located here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/2018-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILI...

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

The 2017 OP and link:

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler

RE: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I donโ€™t think I can be in this thread. My shopping has slowed down but hasnโ€™t stopped. Iโ€™m donโ€™t wanna stop shopping. I can say I donโ€™t have weekly boxes but summer is coming.....

Re: RE: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@KNC24 I believe this thread is for anyone who wants to improve their shopping habits.  Success isnโ€™t mandatory.  Itโ€™s not about perfection but more a support tool.  Take what you want from it and give what you can.  

Re: RE: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@KNC24 I don't think you have to be on a no-buy to belong here, a lower-buy is still a good goal! We're all on different paths/budgets here I think what's important is doing what you can and setting realistic goals for yourself. Maybe you could try for one box every other week to start and see how that feels before you do anything more drastic?

Hey @KNC24. How long have you been in the group? Any tips for a newbie to the group? I agree I do not want to stop shopping completely; however, I need to get better and impulse buying.

RE: Re: RE: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@IndyQT317 I think Iโ€™ve been is this group 6 months to a year. For me I donโ€™t want a no buy. Summer is coming with a some interesting releases. I think you should consider why youโ€™re doing a no or low buy. Buying makeup should never comprise your financial situation. Outside of this I this the why is the driving cause. I know a no buy wonโ€™t work for me. If I see an amazing purple palette then Iโ€™m more likely will buy it. If you want a no buy or low buy I think you need to set realistic goals for yourself. For example, if usually buy weekly the consider scaling back to every other week with a spending limit so you donโ€™t double up. For me I was building a makeup collection that I was barely having the time to use. This was more in the beginning phase of building a good collection. At this point I make better choices. For me what that looks like is not buying because of foils. I think about do I need, how likely am I gonna use it right away. Some things I want but donโ€™t need it right away. I save those things under loves list. Those things come in handy for good promos. Like the Tatcha dewy mist deluxe sample. A lot of the promos are repeat for me. Things I really like I get the promos for travel. Hope this helps.

@IndyQT317 I am doing a makeup no buy and hopefully low buys/smart buys for skincare and hair products. I didn't do great this month but usually if I see something in store I will go back to work/home and think about it before pulling the trigger. Just that bit of hesitancy can be helpful. Then you can go back if it is something you really want but have to think it through first. Why do you want it? Is it for a good reason or just on a whim? Do you currently have a bunch of similar products that you don't use...well maybe you don't need it then? Also feel free to post here prior to purchasing. The people on BIC are a great sounding board so you can make good decisions with your money.

Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Please send me all the No Buy Good Vibes!!!!! Sephora is tempting me to break my no buying eye shadow palettes in 2019 by putting the Pat Mcgrath mini palettes on sale!!! 

@sephoraaddict918 I was equal parts bummed and greatful the subliminal sold out before I saw it. I would have used the palette for sure- but on a limited basis. Glad you were strong enough to hold out!

Hey @sephoraaddict918 . How did you do?

I'm still going strong @IndyQT317!!!!!!! 

It's tempting @sephoraaddict918 but passable, and this is coming from a Pat McGrath lover.  If there's a particular palette/color scheme that's catching your eye see if you can dupe the shades with shadows already in your collection.

Also keep in mind that companies will release sneak peaks of their holiday items in the coming weeks and there's bound to be an item you'll like even more than these palettes that have lingered for some time.  

Thank you for saying that @ElleElleG!! I have been wanting to try Pat McGrath, and this seemed like the perfect time to take the leap, but I will definitely heed your advice as a PMG Lover and wait. I'm trying to stay strong with my palette no buy. Also, waiting for the holiday sneak peeks is a smart idea, too!

@sephoraaddict918 Stay strong and mindful of all your expenses! Thatโ€™s what Iโ€™m telling myself right now. I saw the sale on some instagram posts and Iโ€™ve been eyeing those PMG palettes since they were released. Iโ€™m reminding myself that I made it this long without buying them so I definitely do not need them. I also made a list on my phone of other things I need to buy or am saving for as a friendly reminder of why Iโ€™m on a low/no buy.  Good luck! 

Thank you @CakesCakes!! That is really good advice. This year, I have been keeping my Sephora and Ulta lists to things I will need to buy soon to keep myself from splurging on unnecessary stuff. So far it has been working for me!!

Great idea, @CakesCakes to make a list of things youโ€™re saving up for. I was really tempted to buy some Play boxes for a recent amazing GWP - I really like purchasing deluxe sample / travel products to try new things.  But I looked again at all the things I already have in my stash which reminded me once again itโ€™ll be months until my new purchases could actually be used.  Thatโ€™s helped me curb my buying some.  But I think the list of things I NEED to buy will be a good additional support.

Hey everyone!

I managed to survive Sephora's Spring Sale without a single purchase ๐Ÿคฏ.  To be fair some credit must go to my current life events and really not having the money to indulge in something I don't entirely need/want.  I did not avoid the temptation to make a purchase though.  Days before the sale a moisturizer I fell in love with ran out and naturally I put a replacement, and a handful of other items, in my cart.  Each day I logged on & found myself searching for new releases that may push me into purchasing but nothing ever did.

Crazy to think how even a year ago I would've forced myself to purchase because "these brands never go on sale," etc.  My wallet would be happ(ier) if not for other expenses, LOL

RE: Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@ElleElleG thatโ€™s amazing with your no buy will power. Canโ€™t say mine is that strong.

Re: RE: Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Thank you @KNC24 it's taken me time to get to this point.  Life changes also played a significant role.  Funny though I thought I'd regret it more but I'm okay with it.  (It helps knowing there are more sales to come ๐Ÿ˜…).

Hope you're doing well ๐Ÿ’•

@ElleElleG  congrats! I am in a similar situation and have to talk myself out indulging everyday!  It is definitely not easy! You did a great job ๐Ÿ‘  

Thanks @CakesCakes !  Congrats to you too, convincing yourself not to indulge is no easy feat!  If you're able to talk yourself out of something it's certainly an indication that you didn't really need/want it otherwise the desire to purchase would linger.  Keep up the good work ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿฝ

Congrats @ElleElleG!!! I only bought 1 thing during the sale, and I was quite proud of myself too! It was a brush that I missed as a Weekly Wow. It was actually on sale and with the Spring Bonus discount, I got a better deal! I even waited until the last day of the sale to buy it!!! Hugs all around for our strong willpower!!!

11 Replies
testing