Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

updated 12/31/19* The 2020 Thread is here 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Hey all!  Welcome to Year 5 of the No/Low Buy thread 😲

Since 2019 is LITERALLY around the corner so I figured it was time to get this thread started.  The 2018 thread can be located here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/2018-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILI...

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

The 2017 OP and link:

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler

Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Nice job @sephoraaddict918 !  I love a good deal particularly when it's something I've already had my eye on.  Heck yes to getting a double discount!! Also you have serious willpower to only walk away with one item 😳

@ElleElleG Awesome job! Sucks that things are rough right now, but generally in my experience there are very few thing I've regretted *not* buying vs a great deal of things I'm glad I didn't buy or did buy but don't use as much as I thought I would. There will always be new makeup, permanent collection releases will always be around 

Spot on @Brutalitops  !  The fomo bug was threatening to bite but once the sale period passed I forgot all about the items I briefly contemplated, LOL.

I'm actually hoping for a new release that reignites my love of all things beauty.  I like what I have but very little outside of my collection inspires me nowadays.

@ElleElleG I totally get that, I don't own a ton of makeup but I find myself being drawn to the same colors over and over and frankly, there are only so many colors in the visible spectrum lol. At this point the only sell is formula or more condensed formats (so I don't need like 4 palettes to get my fave colors) since I pretty much have all the actual colors and products I want/use on a regular basis

Great job on surviving the sale and being mindful of needs/wants @ElleElleG! 🙌🏻 A year ago, I too was more likely to buy beauty items due to sales/gwp than I am now 

Thank you @Guessgal ! Amazing how our buying perspective can change with a bit of time!

Well I did really good until I went to repurchase the Volition prismatic luminizing shield spf. They had the silt gelee mask set and the jetset leave on mask on sale. I am such a huge sucker for sales. Hopefully I will do better the rest of the month🤞

I did place another sale order today. I got the Farmacy honeygrail oil to replace my DE marula oil and I got Volition turmeric polish to replace my OH walnut scrub. Since they are replacements I’m not disappointed in myself. I almost bought more lip balm and lipstick but I restrained myself. I also didn’t go for any of the ulta platinum perks so I’m considering it a good day.😊

@faeriegirl Way to go! Lip balms are my kryptonite also

Now this month I’m a tad late with my purchase summary. Give and take, right? I feel quite confident with my April purchases. Did I need more bath salt? No…but it was a new variety and what the heck, only live once, right? So sure buy it! Anyway, here's my stats.

Totals for April 2019:

Makeup (no buy) - $0

Skincare (low buy) - $67.83

• Dr. Teal’s Epsom Salt - Shea Butter and Almond Oil
  • Cotton squares
  • Vichy Mineral 89 x2
  • Yadah aloe mask 10 pack
  • Yadah collagen mask 10 pack
  • Yadah rose mask 10 pack

Haircare (low buy) - $0

Totals for my year (November 2018-October 2019) to date:

Makeup (no buy) - $25.56

Spoiler

Prior purchases

• BareMinerals Mineral Veil Setting Powder x2

Skincare (low buy) - $216.09

Spoiler

Prior purchases

• CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser
  • CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
  • CeraVe PM (2 pack)
  • CeraVe Baby Lotion
  • Nivea Sunprotect Water Gel SPF 50 PA+++
  • Dr. Teal's Epsom Salt - Soothe & Sleep - Lavender
  • Dr. Teal's Epsom Salt - Restore & Replenish - Pink Himalayan
  • Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Jelly
  • Mediheal Mask Pack (10)
  • Biore Pore Strips
  • Australian Gold Botanical Tinted Sunscreen SPF 50
  • Garnier Micellar Water
  • Ulta Sea Kelp Sheet Mask
  • CVS Honey Dew and Chamomile Overnight Cream Facial Mask
  • Skyn Iceland Eye Gels 8 pack x2

Haircare (low buy/smart buy) - $182.04

Spoiler

Prior purchases

• John Frieda Leave-In Conditioner Spray
  • John Frieda Curl Styling Spray
  • DevaCurl Wave Maker
  • DevaCurl Light Defining Gel
  • DevaCurl SuperCream
  • DevaCurl B'Leave-In
  • No Poo 32 oz
  • One Condition 32 oz
  • One Condition 12 oz
  • Coconut Supercream Deluxe Sample
  • Decadence Shampoo/Conditioner Sample Packets

As an Insider, I had no April sale purchases and think I only plan to pick up a Sephora Collection honey mask for the monthly meetup. Hope my April saving doesn’t bring May spending.

Your no-buy on makeup is awesome and amazing. I don't have the kind of restraint needed for a no-buy. Maybe a low-buy, but not a no-buy. I'm also of the "you only live once" variety of person, so after paying my bills and putting money in savings and my 401k I'm go pretty crazy on fun non-essentials. Good on you for sticking to your guns!

Yes! I am with you after I have paid everything off for the month I like spending. Also with the sale going on how could I not. 🙂

Thanks @HunterKathleen! You sound like you have a good balance by saving first and then having fun with the extra.

I’m glad you think so because my boyfriend doesn’t. 😂 I can feel the silent judging every time a Sephora package shows up in our mailbox lol. But as long as my savings are squared away I’mma splurge on some lipsticks every month, thankyouverymuch.

Thanks @byme4u! Before I thought mascara and blushes were my weakness. But I was wrong, it's masks.

Fantastic job @ShortErica!

Thanks @faeriegirl 

RE: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Okay, I’m committing to not buying anything other than refills for the rest of the year! I don’t actually NEED anymore makeup & I have a problem with buying something new because i’m in a mood then rarely using what it was I bought. like I don’t need anymore perfume or lip products when I wear the same three fragrances & same lipgloss everyday.

Re: RE: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Good luck @Venusinfleurs

After already re-rougeing and hitting platinum again at Ulta already this year I am putting myself on a low-buy. I am completely stocked up on skincare, makeup, and hair products probably for the rest of the year. I placed my final sale order yesterday. I have subscribed to several subscription boxes so that should satisfy my need to try new products. My goal is to only order restocks and only place one small Sephora order per month to redeem the points for my play pass.🤞

"...and only place one small Sephora order per month to redeem the points for my play pass."

This is something I'm trying to get better at. I get that dang pass every month and always forget to use it. I'm always buying stuff to restock my supply, might as well cash in on the extra points!

Good luck with your resolution!

testing