Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

updated 12/31/19* The 2020 Thread is here 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Hey all!  Welcome to Year 5 of the No/Low Buy thread 😲

Since 2019 is LITERALLY around the corner so I figured it was time to get this thread started.  The 2018 thread can be located here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/2018-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILI...

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

The 2017 OP and link:

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler

Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Thanks @sephoraaddict918!!

@divaknits well done!!

Thanks @sockmagnet!

I managed not to buy anything else for the rest of February (since my last post in this thread) and have, so far this month, spent $15 on three snail sheet masks from Missha. 

I really want to try the new face cream from Tatcha, but I'm not allowing myself to buy it right away because I don't need replacement face cream yet and, ideally, I should wait and get a sample of it when restocking something else that I already know that I like. 

@sockmagnet, oh I like the future planning idea: wait & get a sample during restock.

Smarter than buying a set because it has a try-me of the product.

@byme4u yeah, I am usually tempted by sets, but without any sales going on right now and with the fact that I don't need it, I really can't justify spending money. I'm still working through using the things I bought in the November sales 😕

@byme4u thanks 🙂 If only I was as good about buying books for my daughter (she practically has a small library in her room because of me... on the one hand it is a good thing, but on the other she really has too many for the amount of space that she has now).

@sockmagnetYES we go to B&N every week it seems, my daughter’s library is overflowing and she doesn’t want to get rid of anything! I think the whole ‘experience’ is what draws her to the bookstore. Eat, read, explore. The library is good but we get tons of books that she never reads🙄 

My February results on my lower buy. 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉 Did really well last month! I spent 69% less than what I did in 2018. And 71% less than what I spent in 2017. Promos are still tempting me & letting stuff sit in my loves list is helping-waiting on a good enough promo for me to purchase. I did have to restock my igk shampoo (which I've decided I'm not going to count restocks towards my month) & I was getting nervous but finally a good one dropped! I did end up paying for flash, it was just ridiculous not to. I waited a full week until I got my shampoo-not good if you are already waiting to place a order anyways. The 750 point redemption was a better value esp since they've been adding full size products now! I still get the itch of finding a box at my door step 🤣😔 so hopefully with time that will fade too. Also been finding alot of treasures at Tjmaxx/marshalls but still got to limit those trips because those can add up quickly too!. Happy Spring Y'all! Good luck to everyone!

Congratulations on your more mindful spending for 2 years in a row @sonnydee!!!!! 

I wish I could take credit for 2 years in a row! last yea...

I wish I could take credit for 2 years in a row! last year my spending was mindful on completing my Pat McGrath collection so I gave up tracking it after March 2018. I did go back before the new year and pulled the disgusting figures I spent at Sephora last year. 🤯🤯🤯🤯 So lower buy for Sephora in 2019 was activated again. 🤑

I've intended to post for a week now, but I couldn't bring myself to it.     I went on a mini binge and bought 3 lipsticks, Almay & Loreal, not much $, one Nars, not bad $.

I have as many I have not even used.  Its just I love lipstick/gloss!  I've had to abandon one of my most fav threads "100 days of lipstick challenge". I already love lipstick, so it doesn't take a lot to encourage me.  I almost bought another one today, it was on a pretty little display.  

Lipsticks are my weakness too @byme4u. I’m in that challenge and it’s hard not buying more lipsticks to show in the challenge. I have enough to go more than 100 days. It’s quite sad. I’m giving a hard no to buying anymore makeup for now. I’m even trying to stay out of TJ Maxx because they have lower cost prestige brands. I have to stop feeding my habit. 

Oh no @byme4u! 100 days of lipstick should encourage you to use what you have...though I can understand the temptation of seeing others wearing an awesome lipstick you don't own. You'll do better this month!

Why oh why do I have to step into JCPenney? I don’t buy clothes there, but I can’t help but step into Sephora. I mean, I have to check on the welfare of one of my pregnant cast members, get makeup tips from the one who graduated from cosmetology school, meet those who don’t know me by name yet (maybe two :D), check on my guy’s plantar fasciitis (He hugs me too.), talk to the one who’s about to graduate from cosmetology school. It’s a never ending cycle. And I always vow that I’m not going to buy anything and then I find something that catches my eye and it just jumps in my purse and goes home with me. I have a train case of lipsticks, lipliners, mini mascaras, and brushes, and another with eyeshadow palettes, foundations, and concealers. I know some of you may not think that’s a lot, but at my budget it is. Plus I can’t fit another thing in either case now after my latest purchases. I don’t want to start another new area. Please! Somebody help me!

Dont take your wallet/cash or cards with you. That'll for...

Dont take your wallet/cash or cards with you. That'll force you to either a. walk back to your car & get it, if you want it that bad b. sample it instead c. order online later after giving yourself to think about it @divaknits

@divaknits, I feel ya, you love them, they love you and you just have to buy a little something.  Its the right thing to do, isn't it?  Of course, it is, as we wade into an ocean of unopened product.

So true @byme4u! I’m in a few challenges in different groups so I can use up the stuff I have now. I’m also about to close my JCPenney card so I won’t use it at my SJCP. That’s my main place to buy things. I rarely order online. I’m going to try to do a low-buy and work myself down to a no-buy. 

I totally understand the desire to leave with something after a Sephora visit @divaknits !! In order to curb my unnecessary spending, I have been requesting a sample or redeeming a 100 point item. It makes me feel like I got something, but I am not spending money on items I don't need.

I never thought of doing that @sephoraaddict918! I can’t really buy anymore makeup since I have no more room. I know I’d be heading toward skincare next and it’s easier for me to get samples of those. 

I think I'm doing well, although when there is literally *no* money to spend on treats for myself it's pretty easy to stay on a no-buy :). 

I haven't bought anything since the end of December except a facial cleanser (I legitimately needed it), and 3 mascaras for $17 today (they are mine and my daughter's favorite and they are normally $15 each). I'm not counting the Wet n Wild highlighter I bought at Target in a moment of weakness the other day since I'm returning it, unopened.

I hope everyone has a great March!

1 Reply
testing