Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

updated 12/31/19* The 2020 Thread is here 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Hey all!  Welcome to Year 5 of the No/Low Buy thread 😲

Since 2019 is LITERALLY around the corner so I figured it was time to get this thread started.  The 2018 thread can be located here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/2018-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILI...

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

The 2017 OP and link:

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler

Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@RGbrown

I like your thoughtful low-buy idea. I think that is very realistic.

I put myself on a lower buy @RGbrown for 2018. I plan on doing the same for 2019. And since I already bought my Pat McGrath collection in 2018, I hoping I will be successful in 2019. I did talk myself out of her vault sale recently. After researching & looking up swatches....i had most of what I was looking at getting. Small goals. Good luck!

@RGbrown I like the idea of a thoughtful low buy. Would you consider posting your potential purchases and where they will fit in your collection (unique or filling a hole) before you pull the trigger? It may be a good way to hold yourself accountable since you would think out why you want it and where it goes in your current inventory.

@ShortErica

I probably should post more often about what I'm thinking about buying, but I tend to be pretty quiet about my collection and hauls. As much as I love looking at other folks' stuff, I feel a little weird bringing it up myself sometimes lol. 

Totally understandable @RGbrown! I lurked on the community for a while, then made a few posts, and now I'm trying to participate more.

Truth be told, I feel like I’ve done well the past couple months. I’ve started to become overwhelmed by the amount of products that I own and the amount of things I have to organize. But I am setting some rules for 2019!

1. No more skincare until I use up what I have. If I run out of a category then I can buy something to replace it, like cleanser, makeup remover, etc. I’ve got a lot of stuff that I haven’t used and is just sitting here.

2. I will run OUT of foundation AND concealer before buying more. The TF BTW I’m going to restock on now though, but other then that, nada! I have 9 bottles of foundation sitting on my vanity, I’ve gotta work through them better. Huda may be my exception for this if I run out before my wedding as I am wearing it on the big day. 

Oh, this counts for primer too. 

3. No more shadow palettes until I hit pan on at least 8 shades in current palettes. Unless I see something I absolutely adore (still looking for some nice greens), no more shadows for me. 🙅🏾‍♀️

4. Try to shop more in chunks, maybe only when they’re sales? Contemplating saving a bit of money each month then go shopping once a quarter for restocks and things of that nature. This idea is a work in progress though so we’ll see. 

5. Don’t even look at another setting powder til I use what I have. I have 6 or 7 and no use for that many. Time to use ‘em up! 

6. I’ll keep track of what I buy monthly to see how well I’m doing in the spending department. 

Goal: Four month low buy, with option to extend to six months and ultimately, for all of 2019.

Purpose: Personal satisfaction. It’s a little stressful having so many choices. Plus, I’m trying to teach my daughter to be content with what you have. So I need to live it to teach it if I want it to have any merit and stick.

Plan: Based on my spreadsheet and calculations, my current HG items will last between 2-3 months. That won’t carry me through the end of my goal period, which is why I’m allowing myself a low buy. I have a maximum $ amount I am setting aside each month to spend; the first couple months I shouldn’t need anything, therefore it will cover when I need to replace those items.

I’m keeping my two sub boxes. I love both of them and have been subbing for awhile. Plus my ‘allowance’ gives me space to purchase any of the sheet masks I really enjoy from the sub. Both of these boxes will provide that short-term enjoyment that comes from new beauty items😉

Thank you @ElleElleG for starting this thread, it’s been helpful to read others’ plans and ideas:)

One of my favorite things about this thread is seeing (reading) how everyone evaluates their collection and how they set their goals.  Thanks for sharing @eshoe, I really need to go through the things I revisit frequently to get a good sense of how long they may last/when I need to restock and plan that around sale periods!

@ElleElleG

I think it is great that the thread is continuing for another year especially for those that need the support.

I did fairly well this year for most of it in terms of buying makeup...shopping my stash/rotating makeup/decluttering helps with that. I am not as tempted like I was even a year ago to buy the latest releases. I still do buy from time to time but I usually buy from a brand/product I know I will love or add something new in terms of color/texture/etc to my collection.

My goal for 2019 is just to continue doing what has been working this year in terms of buying. Yes I will still buy but I will continue to think about my purchases and use what I have and continue to project pan like I have for the last 2 years.

Another goal for 2019 is to use up more lip products (I did not use up enough lip glosses/lipsticks this year).

I however, am a HUGE skincare junkie (I do use the products up, so I can justify it). So I do not see myself ever doing a doing a no buy on that front. I will continue to use products that I have and just not buy new at a rapid rate 😄

Sounds like you've made some great strides to get where you are now @virgo87 !  I certainly need to work on identifying what works and reducing the lure of trying so many new items.   

Great plans for 2019, glad you're joining!

@ElleElleG

Thanks. Just remember it is a journey not a destination when it comes to a no-buy, low-buy, project panning, shopping your stash, not being tempted, etc.

My sister also uses my account at Sephora (she doesn't want one of her own since she knows I get the points/rewards and usually during the sales I ask her if she needs something and I buy it for her) so I usually make Rouge every year and I do not feel bad about it since I am not the only one using it 😄

Absolutely @virgo87 I've managed to pan a number of palettes in the last 2 years and before I started I never thought it possible!

Oh nice!!  Both of you get perks without necessarily having to spend double.

I'm going to actively participate in this in 2019. I will not re-rouge in January. I will not Rouge 5x times over in a year. I legitimately have a problem. 

Hoping to have a better attempt in 2019 than I have in years passed (I was doing really well until about August of this year and then I lost control).

Goals for 2019:

- Re-buys allowed for daily use items when they run out (foundation, concealer, setting powder, brow pencil, skincare, etc.)

- No-buy for masks and liquid lipsticks, unless I make a huge dent in my current stash.  My sheet masks no longer fit in one drawer and I probably have around 300 right now).  My liquid lipsticks no longer fit nicely in the drawer as I have a few layered up on top of each other.

-Shop my stash: I think I have a decent and well-rounded collection for make-up, skincare and haircare.  Probably a good idea to limit trips to TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ulta, and Sephora to reduce temptation (and maybe reduce the amount of Youtubers and instagram accounts I follow).  Also a good idea to update the spreadsheet I created a few years ago (and actually use it and keep track of what I use and whatnot)

- Everything must fit in it's current allotted space, no overflow

- Allow myself to use the sales only to fill a void in my current collection or to restock a daily used item that has run out

That TJ Maxx limitation is going to be a challenge! I need to do this too. I end up buying too many products because I can get such a good deal on high end make up and skin care. I’ve probably spent a couple hundred at TJ Maxx this year. I definitely need to cut back next year!

I'm only $145 away from Rouge, so I'm MAJORLY tempted to make a final purchase before the end of 2018, but I'm attempting a low-buy for 2019. Some of my goals:

-No-buy on eyeshadows until I've panned three of the six palettes I already own. I get overwhelmed by all of my choices anyway 🙂 No-buy for eyeshadow primer or lashes. Restock only for mascara and brow products. No-buy on any eyeliner that isn't brown, restock only for my everyday brown liner.

-No-buy on *any* lip products other than my Rosebud salve (key for the winter months) and a lipliner (because I only own one at a time). I have 30 lipsticks and glosses to get through this year! 

-Low-buy on skincare, because I have sensitivity and rosacea and am still tinkering to find the perfect routine. I'm thinking one new product or set every 6-8 weeks.

-Low-buy on haircare, because I'm still tinkering with the best routine for my wavy hair. Same as above, one new product or set every 6-8 weeks

-Restock only for primer, foundation, concealer, and powder; nothing new. I have my favorites and need to stick to them. 

-No-buy on brushes. The only thing I need to add is a new foundation brush, so I should do that before the end of the year. 

Two of my favorite YTers - Angelica Nyqvist and Elle S. - are doing low-buys this year, so I'm hoping that will make this journey easier. I'm still subscribed to my favorites - the two above, Stefanie Nicole, Gothamista, Mel Thompson, thataylaa, Wayne Goss - but have unfollowed just about everyone else. Instagram too. I'm a spreadsheet kinda gal, so I think that will work well for me. 

I understand the temptation to re-Rouge @tastelikewater but ask yourself if you really need anything right this moment.  If the answer is no, then pass. IMO VIB and Rouge receive roughly the same benefits so hitting Rouge isn't a grand prize or anything.  

Hope to see you in the Pan It! Challenge with your palettes.  I tend to have a year-long palette and a monthly-palette which helps me get use out of more of my collection.  Other members, like @Samtian, rotate weekly or bi-weekly.

@ElleElleG I have a few gifts to buy for my mother, at which point I'd be about $50 away. So I'm weighing whether I want to stock up on one or two of my everyday basics, or let it go until I really need them. I've never been Rouge before, so I kiiiiiinda want to take advantage of the free makeover perk before it goes away, but that's not necessarily the most responsible decision. 

Hmm well $50 away isn't too bad @tastelikewater .  Can you use the VIB $20 off to snag one of your everyday basics? For me, if I'm purchasing something I actually use regularly I feel less bad about making that purchase because I know it will not go to waste.

@tastelikewaterYes we'd love to see you in the pan it challenge!

@tastelikewater I always love your comments. Have you checked out Georgia Harris? I feel like she is in that YouTube clique of 10-100K subscriber channels who are friendly with each other. I believe she is doing a no buy and I find her entertaining.

I can't wait to see how it goes for you and eagerly await hearing your awesome hair finds.

testing