Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

January I shopped drugstore but keep strong by purchasing no eyeshadow. Nail polish, lipstick and liner got the best of me at the drugstore. 

Pulled the trigger and got the urban decay metal palette when it restocked. I’m going to count it as a February purchase because I thought it was February and it will arrive in February. So I successfully completed a no palette purchase for a month. As a reward for doing so well in January I’m going to pay my extra money on my credit card bill 

For February I’m going on another no buy. No one can tempt me to buy a tube of lipstick under any circumstances. Get thee behind me Satan I rebuke Fenty feb weekly wow in adv. I can tell it’s going to be a tough month on my no buy already. 😿

Nice job passing on eyeshadows @howconnie those are definitely my weakness as well!  Now what is this Fenty Weekly Wow business ?🤔

@howconnie Sounds like a February purchase to me 🏁

I like that you have monthly topical goals... breaking it down for progress!

Thanks, This’s my first low buy, so I wanted to ease into it.

why do they have to make lipsticks so pretty?!?!?!

They are so nice.

After spying on this thread off and on last year, I'm ready to join it. 🙂  There are too many other good uses for money, especially to meet long-term goals (which aren't my strong point,) to be spending a lot on beauty products.

I recently went through all of my stash, and that always helps to "curb my appetite."  The struggle is to make that awareness last.

I've been better at holding off on purchases so that I have time to talk myself out of them, which is huge for me.  Right now my biggest temptation is the CT Cities collection because I want ONE lipstick from it (and would like the glosses and liners also.)  Because it's a big purchase, I've not pulled the trigger.  I hope I don't, but that English Beauty lipstick looks like a great nude for me.lol

I've heard and read that when you take something out of your life, like overspending, you have to put something else in it to fill that void to ensure better success at the changes.  Maybe I should take up cleaning?  Ha.

Welcome @Ispend2much6!

I was about to say, "but cleaning is not as rewarding" but cleaning your collection might be. Not sure how you store your collection but maybe you need to reorganize it?  Are there items you used to love but do not use so much anymore?  Do any resemble the CT? 

@ElleElleG  Thank you!  I had everything organized; each brand had its own muji drawer (or 2.)  Then, I kept buying, and had a mess.  I finally went through the excess pile a week ago, doing an initial purge (there will be 1-2 more purges.)

The CT lipstick is kind of unique, at least for me.  I have the American Beauty one, and like it, but wish that it was a little more pink.  Enter English Beauty, which is sold out.

Nudes are tricky for me.

Anyway, I had a Smashbox pinky nude from ten years ago that was perfect, but no longer made, so I guess I'm keeping my eye out to match it.

So, I doubt I will splurge on the set with the main reason being to purchase one lipstick.  Ebay is still tempting though.

Initial purge with more to come?  Very impressive @Ispend2much6 !  I hope you find your perfect nude (again) just not CT, LOL.  For Ebay just think of how sketchy people can be and let that steer you away 😬

@ElleElleG  Yes, but I am one of those "sketchy" people who sell semi-regularly on Ebay.  I like to think at least some of those people are like me. 🙂

LMAO but thinking other sellers are like you will only encourage you to keep shopping @Ispend2much6

@Ispend2much6 the CT cities collection is beautiful, but very expensive!  Hopefully you can find a dupe for the shade that you want.

@curlychiquita  I hope so too!  There are some on ebay from the UK, since CT still has them in stock over there.  Wish I had a friend in Britain! 

I heard that too and probably ought to do some self reflection and find a hobby that brings me as much joy as clicking a button.  Running is the only other thing in my life  that delivers an endorphine rush but I can’t be doing that at night before bed.   Maybe reading? @Ispend2much6

@heartsmyface  Reading is a great idea- thanks!  I keep books I want to read in the car because I spend a good bit of time on the road and waiting at places, but that would probably work well at home.  

I have read that using a computer or smart phone at night, before bed, tricks your brain into thinking it's daytime because of the type of light that is emitted.  I might even sleep better!

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I'm resisting the 24 hr early app Glittery Beautifulness 😐

@GG84, Me, too! I love the color of the new blue KVD lip gloss, but in real how often would I wear it?

@curlychiquita This is exactly the conversation I had with myself this morning 💙

I did not buy anything from Colorpop OR Ulta today 🙌

Yet. 😐

Haha the day will be over soon, you can make it!

2,092 Replies
testing