Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Good dodge of the impulse buy. The upcoming dark highlighter palette by Huda is on my April sale list.

@howconnie, Yes, that's the one I'm getting!  I want the Bora Bora color!

@howconnie Niiiice... playing good defense on several fronts ⚔️

🙏🏿 thank you I saw that five point defense play you put on the NARS 

So my wallet got stolen on Feb 1st, and I still haven't received my replacement credit cards. It feels like a small silver lining that it has kept me from impulse buying to get all the GWPs that have been catching my eye this last week. I've also been able to avoid getting all the palettes that are on sale right now, so those are positives, right?

I'm hoping I can keep up the no-buy once I get my new cards. It does feel kind of good to refrain from impulse buying, but obviously I would prefer it not to be a forced decision.

Yikes sorry about your wallet @snoflakefaerie but it's good to see that some positives have come out of it.  Perhaps when the new cards arrive work give yourself a cash allowance (weekly?  monthly?) and limit your CC usage?

That’s definitely a good idea @ElleElleG. I’m usually pretty good and pay my balance monthly, but sometimes those online deals get to me. It would be much better if I forced myself in store with cash to make my purchases because that would mean I really want it enough to make the effort of leaving the house 😜

😂😂 @snoflakefaerie  online shopping is both a blessing and a curse.  It's amazing how you can rationalize needing something and placing that order online but if it suddenly goes OOS and is available only in store that rationalization does a complete 180 LOL.

@snoflakefaerie takes a special person to see any silver lining in that!  

Sorry about your wallet 

So sorry about the stolen wallet, @snoflakefaerie.  Mean people stink.  But I'm glad you can look on the bright side!

RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Sorry you lost your cards, but what a positive way to look at what happened!

So, I'm in need of some moral support.

Space NK beauty bag is coming up with $275 buy in (and only one $90 product is on my wish list this month), and then Detox Market is giving away a nice goodie bag with $190 purchase, but again I can only justify buying 90 bucks worth of (other) products, and hoarding products that have short shelf life gives me anxiety, as I keep throwing away 80-100 dollar bottles that have 60-80% product left in the trash. 

But freebies look soooo good. 

You can do it, @fantaji! $275 is a lot at once - save it for items you'll really use and you can spread it out over time.

I think if you can focus on how much you don't like the feeling of product going bad, that will help. I hate when I get anxious about my samples going bad, or when I ignore products that I spent good money on trying to use up samples because I feel guilty about not using them. Then I feel guilty for not using up the expensive stuff I actually purchased quickly enough. It's a horrible cycle!

I'm definitely trying to make a concerted effort to only get things when I need them, so I don't get trapped in the above circle. It should bring us joy to take care of our skin, not make us overly anxious because we are overloaded with products. You can stay strong! You know these companies will do GWPs again, so maybe save it until you actually need to purchase things to get the buy in. 

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to hear. I get so overwhelmed by the backlog of products. I was so much happier when I had a small caddy of products I used every day. This is my biggest motivator to be on this low buy, more than the saving money aspect of it. 

you have the strength!!!💪 ❤ I'm personally trying to avo...

you have the strength!!!💪 ❤ I'm personally trying to avoid buy more ******* candles! because who needs more dang candles but it's such a goooood sale😩 take a deep breath and hold strong! 😅😇

RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Last order is arriving on Friday and a replacement Take The Day Off Balm and I’m ridiculously done for February. I want a new mattress. A king sized sleep number. This should be enough motivation! If all goes as planned, I’ll have 2 end-tables as well. 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@darlyndar

I've had my Sleep Number for 13 years now...totally worth every penny and a very worthy purchase!

Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

That’s exavtly what I needed to hear @RGbrown! I’m looking forward to sleeping for 52 hours straight. Lol

I've been terrible this week! Gah!

I got sucked in to the ulta platinum perks on Monday, and today, I finally caved and ordered from OleHenriksen direct for my Truth Serum and Night Serum (higher %back from ebates than Sephora and free gifts). I had been trying to wean myself off them to other sample products I wanted to use up, but my skin was looking worse and worse, to the point where I was wearing actual foundation instead of tinted moisturizer or spot covering. Finally started using both daily again as of last week, and my skin already looks So.Much.Better. (I guess I should be happy my skin doesn't love Sunday Riley and LaMer?)

My plan is to get back on track next week. I'd already decided on a "last hurrah" for Mardi Gras, so I think I'll place another tea order, then try to buy nothing throughout Lent but groceries, gas, dog food, and previously-obligated social stuff. (Wish me luck, lol!)

PS - If anyone else's skin has decided they can't live without Ole - pm me for my link code, and we'll both get $15 towards an order.

2,092 Replies
testing