Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@alexasteph England!!! I'm so jelly! And Disney lol, I haven't been yet.

@Samtian England is awesome. I've been three times and I'm sure will be back many more! 

Makeup no-buy is going well so far. I'm excited about my project pan items and have been more focused on working my way through skincare stash lately. One interesting thing happening lately is that my appetite for collecting in general is way down... even promos that would normally tempt me are getting a much more critical look of "are you going to just end up being more crap I'll feel like I need to use up later on?"

The main urges I'm getting lately are more about just donating most of my motley assortment of skincare samples and getting the full-size things I have planned. Haven't yet, because I'm hoping to hold out on skincare until the VIB sale too, but I'm in a decluttering mood this week so I might just KonMari everything and send a bag off to the women's shelter.

I did struggle last week with wanting to go buy a full size container of the Volition Silt Gelée mask I'm really into... I don't have any more clay/mud mask samples that I'm willing to put on my face, so I might reward myself with that HG if I do a real purge this week. 😓

That's fantastic! You are on the right track!

I've been decluttering ruthlessly as well. I have repurposed a couple things to try and use them up (e.g. face wash -> hand wash, face oil - > body oil). Other things had to be thrown out with a mind note that I can't get stuff of the same type regardless of the hype or how curious I am (vit c, physical scrubs, retinol, mud masks - volition was one of the things I got rid of lol). My skin has been doing much better too. 

Ok I went ahead and sifted through my stash, and filled half a grocery bag with foils and perfume samples and makeup minis that are shades/brands I know I won't use. So those are headed to Dress-for-Success tomorrow. ♻️

@fieldsofclover That's the perfect way to declutter.  I'm sure your donations will really help other people.  Way to put the things you don't want to use for someone else!

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I am very happy to announce that I made it through my no colourpop ban(and no other makeup purchases) till march! I counted myself out & doubted myself but I pushed through. Feb was excruciating bcuz like every few days their was tempting promos, launxhes & way too many discounts for Colourpop. Ignoring The Lux lipsticks launch was painful & then Ellarie drop a collab at the end of Feb I, ooh it was ruff ignoring that one. Now after completing my goal Im not even tempted anymore & I set a new mini goal no makeup purchases till March 8 saved for ❤UD Backtalk palette

Yay, @ELNene17, congratulations!

@curlychiquita Thank ya 👍

@curlychiquita Thank ya 👍

Woooo nice work @ELNene17! Eyes on the prize, launch day is close!

@fieldsofclover currently counting down ⏳with pure joy ca...

@fieldsofclover currently counting down with pure joy cant wait 😍

Great job @ELNene17! They say it takes 30 days to break a habit. You're on a good path!

Thanks @Mcakes I actually never knew about the 30 day the...

Thanks @Mcakes I actually never knew about the 30 day theory maybe I'll test it out with sugary juices that I crave alot.

Good on you @ELNene17! Give yourself the credit!

@Aaliaa Thank u 😊 whew Im glad its over

@Aaliaa Thank u 😊 whew Im glad its over

Yay!!! Congratulations!!! 🎉 👏 That’s a huge accomplishment! The Colourpop deals are always so tempting. You did it though! 

Thanks @CakesCakes! Feb was like promo after promo, they...

Thanks @CakesCakes! Feb was like promo after promo, they were stalking me with deals😁

$62 in Sephora so far! Considering how I used to hit $350 by March in previous years, this is pretty great. (Am sad I missed out on the mini kitten karma Stila kit, but will suck it up) 

When the 15% off comes along, I'm planning to stock up on a few necessities. But that's it for now 🙂 

You're doing great @MSena! Such a big difference in spend from previous years. 

My February and January spending were both ridiculous. Makeup and food- the things that define me. I'm already not on a great track for this month either- I bought the PMG Decadence since she had 15% off her site and the NARS Coucher de Soleil palette. I just couldn’t resist.

I also realized today that there’s a CCO 10 minutes from my apartment. WHAT?! DANGER Will Robinson DANGER! And it carries Tom Ford! Jesus Christ on a cracker! I also have a SiJCP and an ULTA 5 min away. Someone take my car keys. 

I bought a couple of items at the CCO (some LE Bobbi Brown cream products) but ended up putting a lot of stuff back. It was hard, they had an extra 40% off makeup! *sigh*

Oh man that is so dangerous to have a CCO and ULTA that close to you @makeitup305 😞 That is good that you were able to put a lot of things back and out of your cart though. The truth is there is always going to be something that you want to buy wherever you go. It all depends on what your goals are in limiting your spend but maybe you can set some cash aside in an envelope for the CCO and limit yourself to only using what you have in the envelope. Leave the plastic at home lol. Mind games help!

2,092 Replies
testing