Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@mermadelove I've caught the panning bug from @ElleElleG... come give it a whirl!

@mermadelove I understand where you're coming from.  I only really got into makeup around the middle of last year and I'm accumulating more than was wise for my budget.  Feel free to post here.  We'll cheer you on with your no buys and low buy.  You can do it!

@sprocketta THanks for the vote of confidence!!!! I Definitely need to start 'shopping my stash!" 

Pretty proud of myself... I got my one pre-planned makeup no-buy exception today (an LE drugstore highlighter) and walked out of the store with only the one item, even though there was a $5-off-$15 for beauty purchases there! Total spent: $5.49 with taxes.

Now I'm on the long march to mid-April 😤😬

Great March so far, @fieldsofclover!

Great March so far, @fieldsofclover! $5.49 is awesome!

@fieldsofclover Nicely done!  It's pretty darn hard to go in and buy ONE thing and spend that little. Bonus points since this was preplanned.

Monthly check in (a little late):

February went pretty well.  I initially planned to use the Ulta 20% off coupon we received late January before it expired early February but I opted not to use it because I only needed a few items & I would have needed to purchase unnecessary items to get free shipping.  Very glad I waited because they released a Platinum GWP and a series of other GWPs that I was able to take advantage of.  Just under $60 spent.

I also made a few small purchases from Sephora/SiJCP to snag some sale items.  About ~$15 spent out of pocket.

Many thanks again for the encouragement and overall support given to aid everyone on their respective low and no-buys.  In the OP I have added links to alternative threads for those interested in displaying their collection, are interested in panning/using up particular makeup items, or who wish to jump into specific "use up" challenges so that we may remain more focused here.

Keep up the good work!

@ElleElleG Good job resisting the coupon!  It's hard to stick to minimal purchases when there's a "deal" to be had.  Usually you end up spending more because you're getting a deal.  Way to fight back against temptation.

Thanks for hosting this thread.  It helps!

Aww yay glad it's been helpful @sprocketta !

So true about the temptation to spend more because there's a "deal".  Hopefully I can stay on track (i.e. only buy necessities) when the Sephora % off promos come around *fingers crossed*

RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I no longer have weekly boxes coming to my house. I did place two orders today. I got one of the pat McGrath 6 pan palettes. I’m proud of myself. I’ve been using skincare products that I already have.

Re: RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

That's awesome @KNC24 !!!  I look forward to hearing your thoughts on some of the skin care you use up in the empties thread 💕

That's great, @ElleElleG!  I skipped the 20% Ulta coupon, too.

@ElleElleG Well done on skipping the 20%-off deal! It's not always easy to keep a clear head about what it takes to reach free shipping and whether it's worth it.

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Month 2 of my Mini Mascara Bar Experiment. I was getting really itchy for a while, then realized it was because I was only really using one (the M Big) so I'm trying to shuffle more into everyday use. I've always been a serial monogamist with mascara so it feels strange to play the field like this! My goal has been to stave off buying a new mascara (or any makeup at all, now) until the VIB sale, so I definitely feel like that's in reach now.

Spoiler

How do you feel about the Clinique? I think it’s really underrated, especially for the price @fieldsofclover

I agree @scott1201, its a nice mascara.

@fieldsofclover I am loving the M Big also. I am thinking of repurchasing it this week because of the 5X points offer from Ulta along with the 3X points for Platinum.

I need to go through my stash and see what I can post on the trade thread.

I've been under a lot of stress this week (nothing big, a lot of accumulated little things) and have been getting twitchy to purchase something, and thought , "Wow, I've done well for March."  Then I realized that it's only March 10th.  I may purchase one item I want this month (Viseart Tryst from beauylish) just because beautylish doesn't offer codes until black Friday in Nov.

Thanks, @yankeefaithful, @sprocketta, @ElleElleG, @CakesCakes, @GG84! I think I will buy the Tryst palette as my March low buy later in the month since (believe it or not) I own no pink shadows.  I've been working on using up my ABH Prism Palette lately.  I've been wearing my perfume everyday, too, instead of once or twice a week.  With your help, I did talk myself out of buying anything on my Sephora sales list!

@curlychiquita  I agree about stress!! I've done well this winter(even have a gift card for Sephora that I haven't used) but all the personal stress and problems the last 2 weeks is getting to me! I want to self medicate with some pretty palettes or other goodies! It's hard and I'm with you!😙

@curlychiquita you've made it through the first third of the month. be proud of that. Check in here as often as you need. Buy that palette as a gift for yourself to making it through the month. Can you shop your stash and work towards panning a shade on another palette? You can do this!

2,092 Replies
testing