Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Yeah exactly, if you know you'll use it in time it's a great deal. If it's going to sit for a while, maybe not so much.

I've been doing okay-ish. At the start of the month I ordered a KVD eye shadow that was on sale and the KVD Thumbelina. I'm still waiting on the Bite Zodiac to be released. My mom gifted me some money for X-Mas that was for a tattoo but she said spend it on whatever, so I ordered the History of Whoo BB Ball Powder I've been eyeing for well over 4 years I think! I also got the new ABH Amrezy highlighter, cause I mean come on who could resist that?! I did have to spend some of my own for that though. But after the Bite that should be it for this month. I really need to save for a trip coming up in May.

RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Sephora sent me an email to show me how close I am till making rouge status again. I’m trying my best to hold out until April. I may not make it though. Those pat McGrath palettes are calling my name. I ordered one but want them all!!!!

@KNC24 April isnt that far. Really only 1.5 weeks. The PM...

@KNC24 April isnt that far. Really only 1.5 weeks. The PMG palette will still be available, I say stick to your plan! It will feel like an accomplishment.

So I did place an order (two actually) today, but they are for my hubby. He was out of beard oil & wash so I got to take part in the bonus samples & IGK sample without feeling guilty 🙂 I did order myself the UD leanne whats-her-name Cloud 9 lipstick, but it was on my list & half off so I figured I should grab it before its gone. Also got my first Facetory box & I am in love, definitely worth the splurge.

@deathkitty Nice! A beard oil request got me a handful of luxe samples too 🙌

@fieldsofclover, Yay for husbands!

Checking in mid-month of March. I planned a no-buy before April sales, and I have made zero purchases at Sephora! But, I found a cheaper (almost) dupe for my beloved Tatcha Skin Perfecting Sunscreen, which saves me a $65 purchase next month. And, I went crazy for perfume samples this month...

-missha all around safe block soft finish sun milk spf 50 $22

-byredo discovery service $20

-maison francis kurkdjian sampler $20 (~€14)

-chanel le coton for chanel gabrielle deluxe sample $20

$82

The $20 discovery service will be credited for a future Byredo purchase, so I will save that for April. Need accountability for the rest of the month!

dang there are April sales??? also my bday month as well....

dang there are April sales??? also my bday month as well.. even if I do get a sephora gift card..

I broke my no-buy today, because on Sunday I got a tiny abrasion on my waterline from my main eyeliner so that needed to not happen again. 

But I did wait an extra day so I wouldn't be shopping in a bad mood, and I ordered ahead from Nordstrom and only got exactly what I went in for. I might end up making one more purchase if this one doesn't work out, but it would be planned ahead and essentially be a different version of the same thing. My goal for my no-buy has been to curb the impulse shopping habit so I'm still feeling ok about things. I also made a fortuitous new professional contact by chance while I was at the store, so that was a nice bonus.

@fieldsofclover Totally understandable.  You can't keep using makeup that's hurting you!  Good job keeping it limited.

You can order ahead from Nordstrom? Like for in-store pickup, no shipping? That sounds way useful!

And ugh. When your product is literally harming you, it def doesn't count to buy a replacement. 

@Susubee I can hear Marc Jackup laughing at me from the drawer. This breakup might not work out.

@fieldsofclover  Have you tried Trish McEvoy's gel eyeliners?  They're really good.  Maybe not quite as pigmented nor as many color choices as MJ, but they do last a long time when worn.

@Susubee You can do this at Macy's as well.  My Clinique rep there always texts me a heads up when they're doing it.

I am relatively new to makeup and I don't get to practice it is as much as I should/want too and I get so discouraged when I see how beautiful looks people create. I feel like I'm never going to be good at it

Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@varenti Go to Sephora and either schedule the 45 minute makeover and perhaps concentrate on one area at a time. The Beauty Advisors are there to help you. You could have them do one side of your face while you work on the other side under their guidance.

Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

This is a great idea... a lot of people get sucked into buying things they don't need, because they haven't yet learned what looks best on them and/or how to use the things they do have and love.

RE: Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I should do that, I feel like my skills are improving because I don't have someone telling me what's right or wrong or this doesn't look right on you , you should do this instead, etc.

This is exactly how i feel.. i hardly ever wear it out in public. I feel like everyone will see the mistakes i make... im insecure about it.

Thats exactly me I get sooo insecure about it when I do wear it because I hate feeling like I'm being judged
2,092 Replies
testing