Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

You're a June baby 😯, YAYYYYYYYYY.  Only the best folks were born in June don'tcha know @mermadelove 😉

Hope your birthday/birthmonth is absolutely fabulous darrrrrling 💜

@ElleElleG. LOL thanks! I’m definitely in god company!!!

@ElleElleGIts always best to further yourself, that is worth way more than any make up goodies. Happy Birthday month, make sure to check out the make up companies website that your interested too since sometimes they give out some great birthday freebies with purchase, such as urban decay, and others. Dont forget your freebies from sephora, ulta, bare minerals too and other places such as starbucks even too

So true!  Thanks @Anastasiya13 I definitely need to double check direct websites (I always manage to remember at the last possible minute, ha).

@ElleElleGYeah I am the same at times, and make sure to use ebates, that helped save so much money

@ElleElleG

Based on last year's calendar, I'm predicting a 20% at Ulta on the 21st, so decide if earning points now or getting a discount later next week is more up your alley (or some mix of the two 😄 )

@RGbrown I was wondering when the next 20% off will be.  Thanks for your prediction, I'm sure it's right!  

Image result for crystal ball gif

Ohhh thanks for the heads up @RGbrown !  I think I'm going to place my order this week though since the multipliers I want to use end on Saturday. Depending on what new multipliers emerge (and if I realize I need something else) that 20% off will still come in handy.

Bummer that Ulta changed the $10 off so that it has to be used within your birth month as opposed to within 30 days of your birthday as late July there's always been a sale or big multiplier.

@ElleElleG, I'm glad you took the training. I feel good m...

@ElleElleG, I'm glad you took the training. I feel good myself when I spend money on knowledge. It's usually money well spent.

Re: @ElleElleG, I'm glad you took the training. I feel good m...

Thanks @curlychiquita !!  That cost upfront was a bit painful but you're right money spent on knowledge is money well spent!

Was able to do a low buy, thanks to the beautyblender blot and liner items being on sale, and on top of that i was able to get 8% back thanks to ebates too. Been wanting these items for awhile, so it ended up working for me. So many temptations though, especially with some of the beautiful new palettes that have been coming out.

Glad you were able to snag some items you've been wanting at a good price/cash back value @Anastasiya13 !  Depending on the palette(s) that have caught your eye I recommend holding off, there are a few that I'm certain will end up on sale sooner rather than later 😉

@ElleElleGThanks hon, and I hope so, because even with 20 percent off they are a bit too much for my taste.

I've managed to cut my spending down quite a bit in the past two years. I very rarely do any in store shopping to prevent myself from impulse spending, only order when eBates has 8% cash back and budget for the new releases that are coming out. But right now I'm at a bit of a limbo. 😛 My 25th birthday is right around the corner, in July. So right now I have a treat yo'self mentality but I get that I probably shouldn't be feeling that way. I'm getting a tattoo a few days before my birthday, so that'll cost me about $700. That's like 400% of what I normally spend on myself a month. 😕 My best friend is also getting married in October, I still haven't booked my room and want to do that by the end of the month. Plus, I need to get my dress altered still and pay for the hair.

@Nickelliebear1 How about a small treat for your birthday?  I would want to do that for myself.  With all the other expenses, maybe you could set a budget of $25-$50?  I would say stay out of the store (that's where most of my spending happens and I ALWAYS buy something extra) and think about your purchase for a few days before you make it.

@sprocketta - It's my 25th birthday so it feels like a moderately big deal.  I was able to talk myself out of the Huda palettes, not being able to ethically stand behind her from the relaunch of the Remastered palette, which is great.  I don't really have any big ticket items on my list, I've been realistic with what I need in my collection as of lately.

@Nickelliebear1 It sounds like you're going to be very reasonable about what you pick, so I still say you budget an amount and stick with it.  Celebrate girl, that's an exciting birthday.

RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@Nickelliebear1 You should treat yourself for your BDay but since you will be spending a lot this coming fall you might buy something but at a reasonable price! How big will your tattoo be ? I’ve had 2 done, one on my foot and in the same session one tribal at my lower back area. It’s only visible when I wear a bikini 👙. This cost me 300$ for both. Just make sure that everything is sterile and have it done by a reputable parlor. I checked the parlor out before having them done and I chose it because it was very clean and I saw the autoclaves where they sterilize their equipment and also because a friend recommended that particular area and she didn’t have any problems afterwards.

Re: RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@keana1 - it's not going to be massive but there's going to be a lot of detail work, we estimated about 3-4 hours. The artist is one of the most reputable in my city so I'm very content with my decision. 😛

In Canada, our prices are generally a little higher. Which is a bummer.

Re: RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@Nickelliebear1 I know! I also live in Canada 🇨🇦, every thing is more expensive here!!! 

I think I need to break down and get a real lip liner. As I (shhhhhh) get older my lip line is getting less distinct, but because I have a lot of natural color I always look like my lipstick is slightly messed up now. I wear lip color almost every day so this is starting to really bug me... I don't think I'm zen enough to overlook it for another month or two.

I'm posting here to keep myself honest... I want to wait 24-48 hours before I buy anything, and I want to leave Sephora with only one item!

2,092 Replies
testing