Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

You can do this! You already made the first step in commi...

You can do this! You already made the first step in committing to not spend. Just keep it up and don't get sucked in by any flashy ads and displays.

Re: You can do this! You already made the first step in commi...

Thank you @sandykat79!!  🙂

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I need help. I admit I do have somewhat of a spending issue that I've addressed a bit in here before. Well...now it's a simple I CANNOT spend money. I got ticket yesterday and sweet mother....I have no idea how I'm going to pay it and all my bills without dipping into savings. My only option is to not come to BIC so im not tempted by shiny pretty new things. 

@GG84 I understand you totally! I got a ticket on June 1st and it cost me 169.00$ ! Obviously I had to pay it 😢 and my month of June was a bummer.... Starting today I’m on a strict money diet and I know it’s not going to be fun at all but I need to adult... It’s going to be hard since the closest Sephora store is 5 minutes away from my condo and so is The Face Shop...Next time I buy something from any store is because I NEED it , not because I WANT it...

@keana1

$500 for me. It sucks. I'm just not looking at particular threads like new releases and not going on the app. 

@GG84, OMG, $500?!  I'm so sorry!!  😞

Oh dang!!  Haha, the last big ticket I got ($680 when I was 20)was when I was in a police chase I didn’t know about.  I’m not very attentive and am apparently a very good speeder;) They didn’t catch me until I stopped at a stop sign on the highway.  😂. Three cars surrounded me and I was still oblivious and like “gee, I wonder what’s happening...” 

Sorry to hear.  Take this as an opportunity to clean out your makeup drawers?  You’ll find lot a of stuff you forgot you love:) @GG84

Omg @heartsmyface

LOL yours takes the cake. There was an ambulance behind me and evidently when your at the front of the line the proper thing to do is turn right but it had JUST went from yellow to red so i floored it.

That first time you have a gun pulled on you is very memorable;). I’m not sure I would have known what to do in your case either. @GG84  I don’t drive anymore.  It’s safer for everyone that I’m a passenger😂

RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@GG84...as much as I miss the BIC and shopping at Sephora everyday of my life, I beat the urge by not coming on here as much either. 😩😩😩 I have to say, I went all of July without a single purchase! I just moved so new furniture and redecorating is my goal. I’m waiting for the sale to stock up on my skincare but this is allowing me to use all of my makeup that sits there! I am buying the Natasha Denona releases, though. I’m giving myself that. Lol

Re: RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Miss seeing your posts @darlyndar but I totally understand!  🙂

Ouch @GG84  $500 for a ticket is crazy.  Only advice I can give you is to pay it off sooner rather than later.  I had a ticket that I was putting off paying and then due to the time frame, it doubled.  Being on BIC can be a curse and a blessing.  Seeing the new product threads always leave me wanting to buy but this thread really helps.  I can see why you want to cut out any temptation.  Good luck.  I'm rooting for you!

@GG84 That sucks. Not sure how it works in other states but here in FL you can get a traffic lawyer to dispute the ticket. Usually it cost $70 and you don’t have to pay the ticket ( depends on the offense of course). If possible you should give it a try. 

@GG84- Mmm, that's harsh. I've never gotten a ticket (knock on wood), but I think in PA you'd have to run over the Governor's garden to rack up $500.

@prettyinpa

I dont know if you have them in the states but here we have red light cameras. 

@GG84-  there are red light cameras on real roads. In my town, we just got our second traffic lite, we only had one for the last 30 years. It doesn't have a camera and goes out of service fairly regularly. But no one goes through it anyways, there are too many Amish buggies and log trucks to mess around with going through, the buggies don't watch where they are going and the log trucks don't care, if they hit you, you're flatter than a pancake.

@prettyinpa

Oh wow, that is completely opposite of where I live. I drive around 1000 km/week and its either highway or downtown where you're trying to merge and make the light. I obviously didnt make the light. 

@GG84 OMG! That’s a real bummer! I feel your pain 😧! Gosh that hurts real bad!

I feel you. I've been spending small amounts here and the...

I feel you too. I've been spending small amounts here and there and it really adds up. I've got a couple of things to return, but I need tostay out of Sephora and Ulta for a while. I also need to stop looking atthe new releases and focus on using what I already have, which is a lot. Good luck, you can do this!

I feel you @GG84. Firstly what specifically triggers shopping for you. Is it browsing the Sephora website, browsing BIC, Instagram or shopping in-store. I've found avoiding the Sephora website has helped a lot. I've also helped focusing on trying to finish specific products (the 10/10/10 pan challenge might help you here) and organizing or reorganizing your collection. I've been tempted to restock some masks the last week and instead I spent like 20 minutes scanning my Excel Sheet of products I own and realized I honestly have like 6 masks already open in the category. 

I also created a list of products I've been eyeing and want to get and created a Nov sale list. I know its really really early, but having a date when I can buy them has helped reduce wanting to buy them now. I've found its helped if I already own an existing product that does the same or similar thing. 

With BIC there are times I will avoid certain threads because I know it triggers a 'I want to try that' feeling in me. Sometimes I find avoiding BIC completely makes me instead browse other brand/product websites which for me is more dangerous. Hope some of these tips/ideas help you @GG84

I'm just putting this here. I will not buy anything until the 4x the points event later this month. It's a very small goal but I think its achievable. 

2,092 Replies
testing