Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Since my goals technically started in 2018 (Nov 2018 - Oct 2019) I'll post my end of the year update here and then post progress in 2019 on the new thread.

Totals for November and December 2018 combined:

Makeup (no buy) - $0

Skincare (low buy) - $55.54

• CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser
  • CeraVe PM (2 pack)
  • Nivea Sunprotect Water Gel SPF 50 PA+++

Haircare (low buy/smart buy) - $111.75

• John Frieda Leave-In Conditioner Spray
  • John Frieda Curl Styling Spray
  • DevaCurl Wave Maker*
  • DevaCurl Light Defining Gel*
  • DevaCurl SuperCream
  • DevaCurl B'Leave-In

*Want to try to see if these styling products work better for my hair than the others I've used from the line. Some of these were recommended by others on BIC so I'm excited to try them out.

I think my hair care purchases were smart. It will let me test styling products and I saved 20% with the Ulta coupon. My only hair need in the foreseeable future will be more conditioner. I plan to try the One Condition Delight and decide if I prefer it vs. the Original One Condition before purchasing a new bottle.

We're entering the minefield of the pre-Xmas promo avalanche 😬 I'm allowing myself one more Sephora order and one more Nordstrom order before closing the gates for a year.

Great goals, @fieldsofclover! I haven’t checked my spending if that’s worth anything.

@eshoe I didn't track my spending this year either 🙈

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I am so proud of myself for not making an Ulta order today! I really wanted that Platinum Perk blush but I realized there was nothing I needed to order and I have plenty of blushes.

Way to stick to your guns @LisaCraftMom ! The perks are always so alluring. 

Thanks @Mcakes! It was hard but I feel better for not ordering.

So............ I Rouged three times this year. That's a bit more than I thought. I'm not going to make not-rouging a goal for next year, because I buy supplements through Sephora too, but I'm definitely excited to burn through my stash over the next year and see how little I can spend.

I only hit platinum at Ulta, and that will probably drop to almost zero next year. I've been getting bath stuff at Costco, and Ulta doesn't carry any of the brands I prefer for skincare or makeup so I can literally only think of one thing I'll buy there (CosRx BHA, after I use up a couple things). I might even pick that up now so I can shoot for a big fat $0 at Ulta next year.

@fieldsofclover I Rouged 5 times. Before January was even over I had Rouged. I'm not letting this happen. When I sit here and think about how much money that is I'm genuinely disgusted with myself. 

I am posting because I am not going to buy BITE BEAUTY - Four Little Bites Amuse Bouche Lipstick Seteven though it is on sale for $15. I've seen it look so pretty on @jozkid. But I don't even know if I like the formula and I have so many lip minis I haven't even tried yet - so no buying.

One month down, 11 to go.

I don’t know whether to be flattered or disappointed @ShortErica!  😁 it doesn’t matter how good a deal it is if you won’t use it. 😉

You should be flattered for sure!

Hear hear, @jozkid!

One thing that has been helping me lately is to plan out how I'm going to use what I have... like, after I finish cleanser X I'll use minis A and B, then work on cleanser Y. It sounds a little silly/ overthought but it's helping me see a role for specific parts of my stash instead of a big generic heap. Plus, new stuff is less attractive because I know it would be sitting in the queue for a year before I could properly focus on it.

Oh, the queue is clever, @fieldsofclover! Pulling out all my products to see them have helped curbed my purchasing somewhat, but I haven’t yet mapped out when I’d be using something.  

I think I might create a spreadsheet with dates of when I’ve started a new product to see how long it really takes me to finish something.  Sometimes I’m surprised at how long things last (someone mentioned that before regarding the Farmacy Honey Potion mask and I so agree!) so buying more just means it’s sitting in my stash.  

I do the same thing! 🙂 And I try to stagger when new products enter my routine in case I'd have skin irritation then I can pinpoint the culprit.

No, it’s not silly, just practical I suppose @fieldsofclover. I was planning to repurchase my cleansing oil (very inexpensive) once I finished it, but I have a 3/4 bottle of the Farmacy I am working on painfully slow. I am making myself finish the latter before buying the one I really love, and it will help me get through my low buy as well as help empty my drawers.

The Farmacy cleansing oil @eshoe?  I really like that stuff. You’re struggling to get through it?

It smells like vegetable oil to me, @jozkid, and it’s hard to get past that 😆. It works good but I feel like it leaves a bit of a film on my skin as well. The Burt’s Bees I prefer works better and has a soft, pleasant scent.

Hmmm @eshoe. The fragrance doesn’t bother me at all. I usually use micellar water first to take off most of my makeup, then I use the Farmacy to cleanse after. But I put my serum, moisturizer, etc right on top of that. That was one of the reasons I liked it, because it didn’t leave a film for me. It never ceases to amaze me how different products work/don’t work on different people. 😁

testing