Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Isn’t that the truth, @jozkid?! 

November Update!

I didn't learn from my spending in the last couple months it seems. Oops. <.<

I will say, I will definitely not even hit VIB this year so I would call that a big improvement over previous years. I don't plan on spending $200 between now and the end of the year, only thing I'm planning on buying from Sephora is a giftcard for the future SIL for Christmas. I am just under $40 away from platinum at Ulta. And if I'm being honest, I will probably make a point to keep platinum and spend that in the next month. But I've been trying to purge some of my makeup in preparation for my move in January so we'll see how well I do on that.

November 2018:

-Morphe James Charles Pallette

-Morphe M405 brush

-Morphe M514 brush

-Morphe M562 bursh

-IT #101 brush

-Ardell Cluster Wispies lashes

-OPI polish in Worth Every Penne

-OPI polish in I Pull the Strings

-FAB Ultra Repair Cream

Older:

October 2018:
-ABH Sultry palette
-Nyx Liquid Suede lipstick in Alien
-Cetaphil makeup remover wipes
-Ardell individual lashes
-OPI Nutcracker advent calendar

September 2018:
-Sephora gel Concealer in buttercream x2
-UD eyeliner in Lucky
-Lancome Monsiuer Big mascara

August 2018:
-Neutrogena makeup remover
-Garnier mattifying micellar water

July 2018:
-Various Tony Moly Sheet Masks
-Hask Coconut Oil Shampoo/Conditioner Jumbos
-UD Naked Skin powder foundation x2

June 2018:
None!

May 2018:
-Bumble & Bumble Pret-a-Powder
-Bumble & Bumble Don't Blow It Fine (H)air Styler

April 2018:
-Sephora powder foundation
-Sephora radiant luminizer
-D&G Rosa Excelsa roller ball
-ABH Soft Glam palette
-Stila Glitter & Glow liquid eyeshadow
-Nyx tinted brow mascara
-Maybelline Full & Soft waterproof mascara
-6 morphe eyeshadow brushes
-Memebox Nooni appleberry lip oil
-Becca hydramist powder
-ABH liquid lipstick
(Note: Only ~$72 spent in April, thank you Ulta Rewards points!)

March 2018:
-UD All-Nighter Spray
-Bikini wax strips

February 2018:
None!

January 2018:
-KVD Basket Case eyeliner
-Sephora gel concealer
-Fenty Stunna Lip Paint (gift)
-Matrix Shampoo & Conditioner (jumbos)
-Neutrogena Makeup remover
-Babyfoot foot peel

How did everyone do with Black Friday?

If products were make-up as opposed to skin care I just skipped past them in the ad. Though I didn't buy anything in the end. I guess that's good except maybe I should have been on a better lookout for gifts.

I'm trying to do the same thing with Cyber Monday. Hope everyone is keeping to their goals!

Ugh I got myself in so much trouble... I recently lost my job and promised myself I wouldn't buy anything I didn't need...ya that didn't happen 😢😔. I have ADHD which makes me extremely impulsive and whats worse is I suffer from a bad shopping addiction too.

I bought the Kevin Aucoin Nude Pop palette $56 @ Beautylish & used the split payment option. 

I got First Aid Ultra Repair Cream $15 from Sephora. 

Brought a couple of the Deciem black Friday deals $33 total.

Ordered clothes off Zulily total $36.30 used split payment.

Ordered the Ciate London Glitter Storm palette from JC Penny's Sephora (had a $25 gift card so total was $5).

Lastly I ordered a Patchology acne kit off View Your Deal $22.

All together I spent $203.60! Seriously?!? I don't understand why I can't resist the urge to buy things I definitely don't need, it makes me feel like a piece of crap 😔.

I know the feeling @shanda53033.  Is it possible to return any of your recent purchases? 

In in terms of really sticking to not buying in the first place:

1. Listing recent buys helps me.  Would seeing your recent purchases (and your tally as posted) help deter the next urge to buy?

2. Gathering all the things I have and haven’t yet used - this is what has been helping me. When I want to get more skincare (my weakness) I look through all my “backups” and remember I already have enough of most things to last 6-12 months already!  Sometimes I really did forget I already have X number of moisturizers I haven’t even used! Why the heck am I thinking of another?! 

@newcarlee thanks for your reply 😊. Yes, I think listing my purchase would definitely help deter additional purchases because I tend to forget what things I've ordered and when I order something I think I have room to get something small. Most of the items I ordered can't be returned unfortunately View Your Deal purchases are non-refundable, Zulily only lets you return certain items ( I ordered clothes & you can only return if defective), Deciem won't let you return black Friday deals but I can return the Kevin Aucoin palette (it came yesterday & I don't care for it) & the First Aid Cream (I'm going to keep this my eczema has been really bad & it really helps w/ itching ).

Gathering all of my stuff won't help, I have a horrible tendency to buy things that I already have in excessive quantities (i.e. palettes). I've attached a couple pictures to show how ridiculous it is corre 😳.1 of 31 of 3

2 of 32 of 3

3 of 33 of 3

If they are unopened/not used, could you possibly put them up for sale at some website?

Congratulations on staying the course @ShortErica! Luckily, most of the sales really didn't entice me. I did get the Featherweight Powder brush when it was on sale for $20 because it's been on my Loves list FOREVER!!! I'm proud to say that it was my only beauty purchase this weekend. 

I was eyeing the brushes on sale but didn't take the leap. You'll have to let me know how you end up liking it and what products you use it for @sephoraaddict918

I have quite a few brushes but want to hone my collection. Get rid of ones that are old or I don't use and get good quality ones in the future.

I just used the brush today @ShortErica, and it was worth the wait! OMG this brush is SOOOOOO soft!! I used it with the Laura Mercier loose powder and rolled the brush all over my face to set my makeup. I would highly recommend this brush for setting your makeup with loose powder, but it definitely isn't worth the $40 price tag.

Thanks so much for the follow up @sephoraaddict918! I am currently using a mini tapered brush from Bare Minerals for setting powder and was considering finding something to replace it. I will have to keep this in mind if it goes on sale again.

I ended up buying a couple of the standalone Play! boxes, but for both I want to try almost everything in them so that's fine. None of the other "deals" were interesting to me though, so I'm done shopping online now... I removed my stored card info from the sephora app too. I might need to pick up a brow gel before year end, but I can walk into a store for that.

I found a great brow gel when going through my stash @fieldsofclover. It is the Ulta Brow Gel in the medium shade. It gives me even better coverage than the Benefit Gimme Brow Gel. I really wanted a gel that covers my ugly white brow hairs. This one works and sells for $10.00. There is always a special on it. Today’s special is buy 2 get 2 free.

@Loretta55 I'll figure something out. I'm less concerned about the price of products than I am about not getting caught up in the mindset of shopping and deal-hunting... I'm a little more prone to that at Ulta and Sephora than other stores, so I haven't decided what to do yet.

That's great! What products are in the Play! boxes?

Spoiler
I got the Superfoods bag, and another that had a couple primers I'm interested in. I don't like to discuss products in this thread, though... it can be counterproductive for other people.

@ShortErica

That makes so much sense and I didn't even think about it! Thanks for the heads up @fieldsofclover

Well, I made it through the last sale weekend unscathed... my strategy of putting things in my cart but waiting until Monday night, then getting distracted until after midnight, worked!

I didn't even see anything in the Black Friday previews that I was interested in, and the only Daily Wow I'm into is one of the crease brushes. So if there is a Black Friday release I really can't live without, I'll probably get it, but I can't imagine what it would even be right now. Maybe its because the holiday sets are a letdown this year, but more likely it's just that I've finally started to unplug from ooh-shiny fever a bit more. My travel kit is finally about where I want it to be, so the minis and promos are less tempting than they used to be.

I also managed not to buy anything this past weekend using the same tactic 🙂 I definitely have two things that I want to buy sitting in my cart... but I don't feel a great sense of urgency to do so. 

Anyone struggling this extra weekend of the sale?  My weakness is skincare and travel size products of any kind.  I’ve got enough cleansing balms/oils, cleansers, scrubs, face oils/moisturizers, serums, masks, sheet masks, lip balms/masks, and sunscreen to last me the next 12 months.  I should probably throw away any makeup I have before I’ll ever reach the point of panning them and yet, I’m still thinking about purchasing more due to the sale!  

The sale isn't tempting me but I am concerned I will see something super discounted during Black Friday or Cyber Monday and want it.

I keep looking at my current stash and planning an order of use and that helps me realize I can wait for the next sale. Would that help you avoid temptation? Have a schedule so you look forward to getting to use certain products? You can do it!

2 Replies
testing