Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

skincare is tricky, because you can spend $20 or $100 on a serum and sometimes the hundred dollar serum isn't much better, and definitely not five times better.  I have a mix of high end and budget skincare if you want any recommendations.  Like, if you are into Korean skincare, they have a lot of pure, natural ingredient-based stuff, but Sephora only carries the most expensive brands, there are others that are just as good for so much less. 

Always happy to have recommendations! I'm also attempting to switch to cruelty-free but ugh I have weird super sensitive skin (acne prone, dehydrated, with eczema) that doesn't like things like mint, shea butter, pumpkin extract, marula oil (and that's just stuff I've figured out this year). Skin is totally happy with alcohol and vaseline though... go figure. 

eek I wrote out the most thoughtful response and then the Internet rejected it! Now you get my grumpy version 🙂

I'm a bit skincare-ingredient obsessive, and especially about not overpaying for it.  I have a few items from Sephora but (sorry everyone) almost everything can be bought for less somewhere else.  I spend on a few things because I really enjoy them, but they are by no means necessary to great skin. (Looking at you, blithe pressed serum and farmacy everything.)

Your sensitivities make me a little nervous about giving specific recommendations, but I guess you know (more or less?) what you can and can't handle.

Spoiler
I'm sure you've heard of The Ordinary by now.  They are a dream come true.  They don't add colors or fragrances to their products, they are very clear about what is and isn't in their products (i.e. water free, alcohol free, silicone free -- or not, they are just clear about it ), and they make super affordable products designed around usually a single active ingredient.  With your dry but acneic skin I think you might benefit from their niacinamide, azelaic acid cream, maybe rosehip oil?

The second place I would go to for really high quality skincare is lesser-known Korean brands.  With all your sensitivities, Pyunkang Yul seems like it was made for you.  The brand was founded by a holistic medical clinic, and they are very discerning about what ingredients they choose. It is designed for sensitive skin, and they are cruelty-free.  Definitely check out their "essence toner".  Heimish has a cleansing balm that is so soothing and nurturing, and about half as much as anything at Sephora. Innisfree is another brand I'd direct you to, as it is reasonably priced, focuses on naturally-derived ingredients, and has a track record for its eco-friendly initiatives.

What are you doing for cleansing? Not everyone is willing to take the plunge, but I've found that making a clean break with foaming cleansers and getting in a good hydrating toner / essence post cleansing balm / oil / milk makes almost everybody's skin look better. With sensitive skin struggling with eczema, I bet you have done that already.

Sorry if that's a lot to process. If you are looking for anything specific, just ask -- I'm not kidding about being obsessive about skincare. I just watch youtube tutorials about different ingredients and products for fun. or something. 

I read super fast, so long in-depth posts are cool 🙂 Thanks for the recommendations! 

Currently I'm using a bunch of Tatcha's stuff just because I tried it first (10th anniversary gifts) and it didn't jack up my skin. So my current routine consists of using the Deep Cleanse, Essence, followed by either the Water Cream or Silk Cream during the day plus SuperGoop's City Sunscreen Serum / Indigo Cream at night. At night I also sometimes swipe my chin and the sides of my face with Skin Rescue Acne Clearing Pads with White Clay from First Aid Beauty. I also use pimple patches quite a bit. I use St. Ives Fresh Skin Exfoliating Apricot Scrub once a week.

Ultimately I'm looking to replace the essence and the day cream with cheaper alternatives, and also to incorporate a toner that will help with my hormonal acne. I'd also like to replace the face scrub with a cruelty free dupe. 

Funny that you should mention rosehip oil because I just got some from Trilogy to try... although I'm not sure how to use it - advice would be welcome!

I keep hearing good things about Pyunkang Yul so I guess I'll have to figure out where to buy it so I can try some of their products.

I found pyunkang yul on amazon but then later I looked and a more complete collection is on "ohlolly.com".  Tatcha is great, I love their water cream.  Dr. Jart has a good water cream that is $40 (water fuse) to tatcha's 65, but still pricey.  I'm going off about the Ordinary again, but their Natural Moisturizing Factors is an oil-free, silicone-free moisturizer that feels way more expensive than it is.  It's essentially made up of the amino acids and fatty acids that skin is, to give a very lasting moisture.  It's definitely closer in texture to the silk cream than the water cream.

Pyunkang Yul's moisture cream is made for those with sensitive and acne prone skin so me be even better, for $32.  Since the ordinary is 6 bucks for 100 ml and PY is 32 for 330, it's not as big of a price difference as it sounds like.  

Rosehip oil is the best starter face oil!!  Applied in the right amount, it shouldn't make your skin more oily or less oily.  Start with just a few drops, rubbed between your hands then pressed into your skin, after serum and before moisturizer.  I don't always use a moisturizer if I'm using an oil.  If your skin is a bit wet, the oil will absorb much faster.  At night I like to apply a bit more on my skin, since I don't need to worry about it absorbing.  Rosehip naturally has some vitamin A, but it's also rich in other antioxidants, and just in general, oils permeate the skin's layers so much better than other moisturizers.  You might find that adding oil to your skin actually stops your skin from overproducing oil.  Rosehip really shouldn't make you breakout, though. It's categorized as a dry oil.  It's not astringent like witch hazel, but roughly equal to the skin's own sebum, along with jojoba oil and sea buckthorn.

This is fun I could talk skincare all day :).  I just recently rounded out my "ten steps" (I haven't really counted) and it's lame because now I have no excuse to buy anything new 😞

-she said in the no buy low buy thread about one week after publicly posting she's on a three-month no buy. 🙂

Thanks for the recommendations 🙂 I actually went over to YesAsia to get a little starter kit but I will definitely check out the other site for repurchasing, etc. since I see that they also carry Dr G. I wish Sephora carried more of the asian brands 😞 I'm always wary of buying skin care stuff on amazon because I got some Dr Bronner lip balms and they smelled odd and felt odd on my lips (you better believe I got my money back) and it turned out they were fakes. It gets annoying having to buy everything from separate sites, but sometimes that's what you have to do. 

Besides Gothamista, I actually spend a lot of time watching Hwan'e on youtube and I joke to my husband that this teenage boy knows more about skin care products and make up than I do.

RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Yes, @sockmagnet ! That sounds so familiar. I’m looking to do the same.

Hey all, I have a few questions related to this post/community and was hoping you could help.

I see this thread is titled "2018 - The No-Buy...", does this type of post happen every year or will this one roll over similar to how I see the "Empties" thread started in 2013?

I mentioned my plan for a no-buy and would love to share progress, tips, whatever. Is it best to post updates in this type of thread or would it be better to start a separate thread about it? I just worry I might get long winded and take away from others sharing their no-buy, low-buy experiences. Maybe both is best - some brief things for the group posts but when I want to write a novel include it only in a separate thread with my no-buy journey? Opinions?

I've lurked around for a while but just started more actively posting. I appreciate an advice on posting etiquette and look forward to getting to know everyone more!

hi from another former lurker

hi from another former lurker

@ElleElleG, I’m interested too! When do you typically start up the new thread? @ShortErica

Hi @ShortErica it varies as far as when a new thread is started.  The Empties thread is a continuous thread whereas this one seems to function best if separated by year.

Also don't worry about length. I always recommend using spoilers to separate topics and /or bullet points for ease of reading though 😀

@eshoe Im planning to start the 2019 version of this and the panning thread soon 💕

panning thread 😲?

Aweskme, thank you @ElleElleG! I need ample time to take inventory😆

RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

And hi 👋🏻

Don’t worry about being ‘long-winded’. It’s a forum, type away!

Re: RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Ha, precisely! 

So it’s been awhile and I need to check in to be held accountable. These past few months I have been spending a lot on new skincare and restocks after going almost 9 months or so on a very limited/low buy. 

All of my bins for products are pretty full and therefore, I need to enjoy what I already own and not purchase anything for a while. My goal is to go until April (my birthday month) on a very tight budget. Really, I should only buy restock if I run out of a holy grail as I definitely do not need anything else. I’m also going to cancel my Ipsy subscription to save some more money.   

Fingers crossed I don’t continue to be tempted (otherwise I will need to stay out of TJ Maxx/Marshall’s/Sephora/Ulta and take another break from BIC. 😔

Sometimes what happens to me is.. I budget TOO MUCH and then kind of explode in a flurry of purchases I don’t need, kind of like a food binge after going low carb for a week. Sounds like maybe that just happened to you? All these holiday sets are traps I think. Like it’s not a ‘good deal’ to get three lipstick minis if you only really want one of the colors. How much time and research do you put in before making a purchase? I can get a little obsessive about it, but I will spend a week or more reading reviews, watching the YouTube videos, going in store to try it on maybe, if we are talking about a luxury purchase. When I do finally buy the item, I don’t feel guilty, I feel so delighted that I got the best cleansing balm there is, and I looove using it every evening. On the flip side, just yesterday I got so into the laneige bb cushion I was getting ready to add that to my list of maybes, but I stopped myself. I have dr jart’s bb, which is so moisturizing and I love it. I don’t need TWO dewy finish bbs. It sounds like you’re on the right track. You’ve already got great makeup. Don’t let yourself get excited just bc something is shiny and new. But, if you run out of something, or have a ‘hole’ in your makeup or skincare routine, go ahead and get something, just don’t feel guilty about it, and think it out. Hope that helps. Helps me writing it out. I need to take my own advice 🙂 Xx

@rockstargina Good luck!  You can do it.

Thank you!

8 Replies
testing