Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

August Update!

Not quiet the end of august, but I have no planned beauty purchases on the horizon. And hopefully this will keep me from making any, lol! Only beaty related transactions this month were  at Ulta. I returned the Lancome foundation (since I found me beloved UD foundation at Nordstrom Rack) and bought some micellar water and makeup remover. And I have actually not made a purchase at Sephora since my birthday in April! I'm quite proud of that one.

January 2018:

-KVD Basket Case eyeliner

-Sephora gel concealer

-Fenty Stunna Lip Paint (gift)

-Matrix Shampoo & Conditioner (jumbos)

-Neutrogena Makeup remover

-Babyfoot foot peel

February 2018:

None!

March 2018:

-UD All-Nighter Spray

-Bikini wax strips

April 2018:

-Sephora powder foundation

-Sephora radiant luminizer

-D&G Rosa Excelsa roller ball

-ABH Soft Glam palette

-Stila Glitter & Glow liquid eyeshadow

-Nyx tinted brow mascara

-Maybelline Full & Soft waterproof mascara

-6 morphe eyeshadow brushes

-Memebox Nooni appleberry lip oil

-Becca hydramist powder

-ABH liquid lipstick

(Note: Only ~$72 spent in April, thank you Ulta Rewards points!)

May 2018:

-Bumble & Bumble Pret-a-Powder

-Bumble & Bumble Don't Blow It Fine (H)air Styler

June 2018:

None!

July 2018:

-Various Tony Moly Sheet Masks

-Hask Coconut Oil Shampoo/Conditioner Jumbos

-UD Naked Skin powder foundation x2

August 2018:

-Neutrogena makeup remover

-Garnier mattifying micellar water

Good for you! And it looks as if (apart from your birthday month when a treat or two is perfectly understandable) your purchases have been kind of maintenance ones rather than big purchases.

Great job @Kay522!!  

I made it until August without purchasing anything from Sephora.  Normally I would have re-rouged by April, and I still need around $600 to hit it.  Progress?

*I had a baby in November so between being on maternity leave and working from home part-time, I have been using less make-up and have been making progress shopping my stash!

@rockstarginaUnidentified congrats on your little one. Sounds like you are doing a bang-up job keeping spending in check. Be proud of yourself!

@rockstargina Congratulations on having a baby! Obviously your priorities change when you become a mom! Baby comes first ,but you have to remember that you also need some TLC for yourself such as relaxing, taking a bubble bath etc... Often inexpensive things can be the best! 😉

I also attribute the decrease in spending to the fact that I am not watching youtube as much these days!

Congratulations on your baby, @rockstargina, and great job on shopping your stash!

Thank you!

Good for you, @rockstargina! Congratulations to you also on your little one, that is very exciting😊 I remember being thrilled just to get a bit of mascara on in those days. Good luck on continuing your streak:)

Thank you!  A little lipstick makes me feel so much better these days!

I'm on a no makeup buy goal this year (except for foundation, brow, mascara products) and I had a weak moment yesterday.  I don't even know how it happened but I went to Walgreens to stock up on eyebrow pencils, look for an eyebrow gel and a maybelline bb cream.  I ended up with those products and more.  They're not big ticket items so I don't feel that bad and I may end up returning some of them (Maybelline bb cream, wet n wild highlighter in precious petals).  Has anyone used the Wet N Wild blossom glow, ombre blush or the master chrome in molten rose gold? 

On the plus side I found a new drugstore brand (CYO) and really am enjoying the lip pencil.  Its a dupe for MAC Lip Pencil in Morning Coffee.  I'm going to buy a few as this is my favorite my lips but better color.

Here's what I purchased:

IMG_6193.JPG

Yeah, it can be a bit of a letdown when we slip. But, on the positive side, they weren't big purchases and if you follow through with your idea of returning a couple of items it will probably help to get you back on track. The important thing is to keep up with your plans and not let this sidetrack you from your goals. Congratulations on your success so far!

@b3autygrl Some inexpensive items can work as well as big ticket items! I have a Covergirl eyeshadow palette in the Trunaked line called Nudes and the quality is great! It has mattes and shimmers from beiges all the way to black! I like it so much I wouldn’t exchange it for an expensive brand!

I don't think I joined in the fun yet this year but it's time!!! I usually end up in this thread at some point each year. I will be taking a leave of absence from one of my jobs (maybe both?) soon to finish my practicum for nursing school. One of the dogs had surgery and I got new tires/alignment/brakes in the same week last month and I paid the card I used for them today- ouch! We have a couple big trips and building a house on our radar for next year, as well as maybe starting some wedding planning, so we are both like WOAH we gotta watch it! 

As in the past my goal more than anything is to be mindful and think, do I/we really need this? Not browse online out of boredom or go to marshalls just to peruse the aisles. Cut back the grocery budget a bit. Usually just saying this helps me a lot. I need to focus my energy and motivation on school, beauty and fun will be back in my life more very soon! I also used to be really good about selling things I wasn't wearing on posh/mercari and could use some free time to list things that are taking up space in the closet. 

I do have a couple sephora and ulta GC's. I will shop some replenishments during the sales this month. I had planned on getting cult GWP fall bag if I'm into it and am still planning on doing so. I will also replenish HG's if on sale/a great promo that will get used. I am close to 2k ulta points which I will be able to redeem when winter is cold and I'm getting antsy for something new, as well as maybe offset christmas spending a bit and get a couple things for friends with it. I have lots of fun stuff (honestly more like 492074 highlighters and some other random things) stashed away to keep me occupied and am doing the 10/10/10 and regular pan challenges. 

Planned purchases:

Spoiler
Planned purchases:

Unknown brand/where getting/don't need ASAP etc:
Hydrating serum
PTR un-wrinkle night cream
Liquid liner
Too cool for school egg mellow body butter- winter HG. Maybe nordies, I think I have a bit left on a GC.

Sephora:
2x Dr Jart tiger grass cream, Moon Juice Super You. Amika perk up (just found some amika minis and a FS orbie gold lust!! always check your stash!). Maybe mini Lila and collagen depending on how much GC is left. 

Ulta:
UD illusion primer, Diorshow mascara primer, Essence mascara, Living proof restore hair mask. Sheet masks. Maybe a morphe blush trio. NO GIRL!
Also will buy Lorac palettes if on sale and probably 73 more jack black lip balms this winter. And any HG's that go down during 21 days.

Cult fall GWP bag:
Depending if I like/will use bag contents. Stock up on things cheaper there such as pixi, omorovizca, etc and treat myself to one small neom candle.

My DO NOT BUY list:

Spoiler
Things I own way to much of and don't need to even think about "stashing" or stocking up on:
Cleansing balms/oils (must have 6 or 7 FS including the 1 balm and 1 oil open right now)
Korres body wash
Tinted moisturizer
Orbie dry texture spray
T3 whirl attachments
Highlighters
Lippies 
Setting sprays/refresh mists
Diptyque candles (I don't have a lot, maybe a couple small ones left stashed but not something I need to be getting right now!)
amazon maxi dresses
planner stickers

I've been a lurker on this thread for a while now, but I really need to throw this up here to keep myself accountable and on track.  I did a little too much spending this past week (I don't regret any of the purchases), but now I am on a REALLY tight budget for the next three & a half weeks.  All the bills are paid, but spending needs to be limited to pretty much just gas & groceries.  You are all so wonderful on this thread and I could really use some verbal support in helping me sticking to my budget.  Thanks!!

Well, I have to totally own it...I screwed up.  I thought I could just run in and grab one thing without giving in to the temptation, but it turns out I can't.  I saw a really good deal and convinced myself that it would save me money in the long run (it will, but that's not really the point right now).  I think the only way I will be able to stick to this is to avoid all stores, aside from grocery stores, until my budget resets on the 8th.  If I am focusing on the positive, I guess it's good to know this about myself?  😞

I feel the same way @mrsmouse  Whenever I end up buying beauty products then the budget gets tight like yours and I feel down on myself.  You can do this!  It's tough, but the support here helps.  I have faith in you and know what you're going through.

Thank you so much @sprocketta!!  🙂

We're here to help @mrsmouse !  If you have any tempting moments feel free to share, it's so much easier to navigate low buys with support 💕

@ElleElleG, Thank you so much for the support!!  So far, 2 days NO shopping!  It sounds small, but I am seriously taking this one day at a time.  🙂

testing