Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@Annalily11@ Ugh I hear you, I feel lucky my city doesn't even have any Walmarts... I would have to go on an expedition for the WnW ones. Essie might get me in a couple days, though. #mercuryon

My Walmart just closed, which definitely has helped. I've already found myself trying to justify them due to how cheap they are! 

@fieldsofcloverUnidentified

I have both of those Essies on my Ulta loves list already 🤦

SEPHORiA tickets go on sale tomorrow... this is totally the kind of thing I would love to do (I'm the nerd that hopped on a train to another country with 12 hours' notice when I heard the Fresh founders were holding an event) and it's the weekend after my birthday...

However, I've already committed myself to other less exciting adulting projects... I've decided to buckle down and summit Mt. Sallie Mae over the next couple years so this is too low on the priority list 🏔💹

RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@fieldsofclover, 🙌🏼 woohoo! That mortgage mountain will be so awesome to have crossed. I would really like to be there myself, in a few years, at least working towards reducing the timeframe. Great 👍 job in resisting the temptation 🙂

@fieldsofclover I would have loved to see Dr Murad and Natasha Denona. But not being able to easily pre-book, and even just the thought of all the crowds crammed into the various rooms, trying to access an “experience”....

5506826A-DDD3-48E6-BE66-21FC135DBE23.jpeg

When it comes to crowded hotel convention spaces, that cat is my spirit animal 😂

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

This is an amazing thread since I'm suffering from buying too much makeup for no reason. Sometime I feel like I need to delete sephora app cause every time I open it I buy something I don't even need. I have that addiction to buy makeup even if I don't use. that happiness and the satisfaction when I see all that makupe in my drawer. I'm wasting my money on stuff that I dont really want and skip the real things I need so bad. Every month I keep saying no more makeup and I have to control myself and ended up buying online. I'm treating myself with play by sephora which is enough, but I'm still struggling😩 Any advice please!!!

@RoroM91 You're not alone.  Coming to this thread and reading about other people's battles with spending really motivates me.  I would agree you should probably delete the Sephora app.  You suggested it so you've got an idea it will help.  Baby steps.  Do you want a no buy at all or just a low buy?  Feel free to come back to this thread and check in when you're struggling.  It helps to have people rooting for you.

RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I just moved into out forever home, so Sephora is not a priority right now. I do miss going, but I really want all new furniture and just re-did both of my boy’s rooms. Next is mine! Last is my beauty room. I’m BEYOND excited to have one, but I want it to be perfect. So I’m doing my research since I really don’t want Alex Drawers. Lol. My only purchase this month will be Luna and Good Genes. I think my Luna leaked in the move. I’m almost out! 😩😩😩

Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@darlyndar That's so exciting!  I hope it's everything you dreamed it would be.  Can't wait to see pics of your beauty room.

RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@darkyndar, congratulations 🎉!!!! You must be beyond excited a have a beauty room-I am just a wee bit jealous😉 Hope you post pics once it’s completed, and hope you have fun decorating!

Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Congrats on your forever home, @darlyndar ❤️ My boyfriend and I bought a house in April so i remember those feelings! You'll be too busy decorating and organizing to buy beauty anyway 😉 It'll be so fun to plan your beauty room! Enjoy every moment!

That is so exciting @darlyndar, congratulations! Your beauty room will be so fabulous once you’re done, especially since you’re taking the time to really make it unique to you! I hope you’ll share a couple pics with us once it’s complete 😊 

Congrats @darlyndar! That's so exciting 🙂 Good luck in your new forever home 🙂 

@darlyndar Yaaaay, California Closets in your beauty room future eventually 🔮

Congrats 🏡💖

@fieldsofclover That’s what I’m thinking! I just don’t want traditional white that everyone has. I’ve never been that kind of girl. Lol.

@darlyndar Espresso finish

July:

Makeup - $0

Skincare - $0

I'm sitting out Prime Day today, and I am not reinstalling my Sephora app in order to not get one of the luxe Play! boxes dropping tomorrow, either. I'm just not going to TJ Maxx at all; avoiding temptation is easier than resisting it 😅

Bonus challenge: I need to make a Sephora return sometime this month (grumble grumble PTR sunscreen oxidizing orange), so I want to do that without buying anything while I'm in there.

@fieldsofclover, I've reactivated my Netflix, so my bored...

@fieldsofclover, I've reactivated my Netflix, so my bored times will be filled watching series instead of surfing looking at new beauty releases and sale items. I also agree, avoiding is easier then resisting 😊

Re: @fieldsofclover, I've reactivated my Netflix, so my bored...

@Luvstravel Nice! I dropped a couple subs I wasn't using much, but kept my Audible for the same reason. 

RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@fieldsofclover, “avoiding temptation is easier than resisting it.” Hear, hear! True words of wisdom😊
testing