Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@fieldsofclover, do you use a menu planner? I ordered from a sub meal planning service a couple of times and was so impressed I started using their online cookbook. I pick out 3-5 recipes for the week and commit to buying only the items for this dishes (plus fruits/staples). Helps keep me home as once I spend the $ on groceries I know eating out may result in having to toss them.

Re: RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I've been doing that recently too @eshoe. I realized that I was spending WAY too much money on delivery so now I look up recipes and buy ingredients for those specifically. I also bought 3 compartment containers and portion out meals for a few days so there is NO excuse not to eat it. I enjoy cooking but deciding what to eat when I got home lead to bad last minute decisions. Also I'm spending less money so I've been able to buy a few things that otherwise would be an issue.

Re: RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@eshoe We've never had an outside service, but Amazon Fresh has meal kits from a few different companies so sometimes I order those. The Costcos around here have also started carrying discounted Blue Apron kits.

I was a chef for a long time though, so mostly I'm obsessed with throwing stuff in my Instant Pot on weeknights. I have a lot of annoying diet restrictions so if I ever find a compatible meal-planning service I'll sign up in a heartbeat.

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Thanks @fieldsofclover! My aim is to really use what I already own until the November sale and then restock only loves. I've enjoyed playing around to find products I love over the last year, but I think I might have found something in most categories.

@Aaliaa Nice! I think that's about where I'm at too (although I don't think I'll quite make it to November).

@Aaliaa I’m right there with you. I have favourites in every category now too, so I really don’t think I need five more blushes, three more eyeshadow palettes, two new lipsticks, or six new highlighters lol 🙂

Collecting pretty colours is just so hard not to do, though.... 

Haha, I think my weakness has been skincare, so it is a little easier to avoid makeup purchases (except for lipsticks!). I try to circulate items so I don't get bored either and feel like I need to try a new product. @PinkEvergreen

@Aaliaa I like the pretty colours of skin care products too, so I have a weakness for those too lol 😅 Tatcha really got me with their Violet-C mask last year... gradient purple packaging with bright purple mask inside?!? I was no match, haha. 

RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I’m so proud of myself, I managed to not spend a single dollar on makeup for the months of May and June. My year to date spend is at $369, all of which was money I received in Sephora gift cards at Christmas, by this time last year I had already hit Rouge. Now to be fair this no buy was basically a choice I had to make due to my fiancé being laid off last year (which sent me back to work after being a stay-at-home Mom with my 2-year-old) but shopping was always my pick-me-up however I’ve managed to resist the temptation and learn to manage my money better and prioritize.

Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

That is great, @StyleLynn!

Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Great work @StyleLynn  Just because a no buy is not a choice, doesn't mean it's not hard to stick with one.  Way to keep it up!

@StyleLynn That's fantastic! Pick-me-up shopping is such a hard habit to change, especially since there's so much societal stuff out there telling us it's what we should be doing as good solid consumers. You are killing it this year!

RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@StyleLynn, WOW that is awesome! It must feel pretty good, too😊

Congrats @StyleLynn. No matter what, temptation is hard to resist. 

No-buy July 🇨🇦🇺🇲🎆

I only made one outright impulse buy during June, but I've been spending like it's my birthday month even though I have months to go for that! I don't have any regrets and I was strategic about a lot of purchases (and it's still less than last year's high month overall), but between stockpiling multiples of HGs that hit TJMaxx, the Ulta 20%, and this week's Weekly Wow, I have plenty to keep me in business for a while and I need to dial things waaaaaaay back.

To that end, after making my Wow orders I uninstalled my Sephora and Ulta apps entirely, and I'm taking the month off from shopping in general since I picked up some new work threads already. I'm going to work on my panning projects, might start an Instagram or something to keep myself entertained, maybe do some swaps, and probably work on organizing my collection better.

(Mutters to self repeatedly) my hobby is beauty, not shopping 😤

@fieldsofclover Sounds like you got a little off track this month but you're implementing plans to check spending, like uninstalling apps.  The Ulta 20% off got me too.  You keep me inspired to keep my spending in check, I always enjoy reading your posts and your usage stats.  Now that you're stocked up, you can focus on the new job and bringing money in as opposed to just spending.  Good luck this month (and at the new job)!

RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I really like reading your posts bc you always bring the accountability back in a real way and I need to check myself like that too! Thanks for reminding me to stick to my no-ish buy this month I literally gave myself $14 to spend on beauty and I’ll have a $125 off at ulta that will get me through. I too am focusing on using, enjoying and organizing products. I went so hard this month I’m only about half done recording my purchases for accountability lol

Thanks @SAlyFitz! Sometimes I feel like my posts here are way too long, but I really enjoy reading other people's stories here (especially in this thread) so I figure I need to give to get 🙂

Accountability is a moving target for sure... one of the reasons I've gotten so disciplined about recording my empties and working on panning projects is because I'm really terrible at tracking my beauty spending on the front end! I used to solve it by only shopping at Sephora (and then Ulta too), so my yearly account spend = total spending, no problem. But now that I'm more willing to pick up high-ticket things from Costco or TJMaxx my lazy tracking isn't really working anymore.

RE: Re: RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

That’s a really good point because you inspired me to record as well and I found this month that I had tj max, Victoria’s Secret, etc. that I bought beauty products from too! Which I hadn’t considered all the outside spending like at all... it’s just been way of life until now lol

@fieldsofclover, Your ‘No buy July’ is what I need to do. Thank you for the honest and encouraging lead in this. I have way more than enough, this was supposed to be a low buy month for me. I am going to borrow from you and go for the same!

@eshoe Yay! You can do it... I mean, it even rhymes so that has to give us a head start, right?

testing