Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@scott1201 I really value the expertise brand reps at specific brand counters. And there's always a good gwp.

One goal of my HGs-only-buy (which is going well, other than some sheet mask gambling) is to transition to mostly using products I love, not just having a life full of things I'm tolerating.

And since I'm kind of a nerd, I've been tracking my 2018 product usage in a spreadsheet using my photos for the empties thread. This is making it easier to see how much I actually like what I'm using. Basically, I want the green numbers to increase over time, since that will mean I'm using more things I like, and using less of (and spending less on) what I don't. 🤓

Anyway, I know some folks here are spreadsheet people, so I figured I'd share!

Spoiler

Screenshot_20180521-184215.png

I love this spreadsheet!  I am also a excel nerd and am doing my tracking in a month by month spend.  I tracked everything from last year & saw what I spent (had a small heart attack,lol) and am working at not spending anywhere near as much this year while also concentrating on quality over quantity.

Thats awesome, wish i was as organized as you. Thats amazing

RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@fieldsofclover that’s impressive. I’ve just been actually using What I’ve been hoarding. I finally used up my origins zero oil facial cleanser. It took a long time to finish it.

@fieldsofclover You are so organized!  Great idea.

Guys, I'm thisclose to hitting the buy button on the SKII Facial Treatment Essence on the Costco website. It's for the 11oz bottle. It has a pump. I need it. Right? LOL helpppp.

I absolutely love that essence and am running out of it. I'm started using a fermented essence (Marine Hyaluronics from The Ordinary) and also thinking of getting the one from NEOGEN. 

Thoughts?

RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

If you are running out of it then you know how you feel about the product and id ask myself if it’s a HG and/or in budget before making the purchase. You talked about some other similar products so the question for yourself is are you okay with trying other products to potentially replace the skII either now or for the future... ask yourself what the goal is? possible cost cutting all together for the future? Could you splurge this time and try a lower cost option next time just to break up the cost? Is the cost not a concern but the stockpile already has some options? Good luck figuring out what will be best for you!

@sojess I nearly bought that one in my Costco, but walked away from it because I hadn't tried it before and the size was too much for me to commit to.

I think if you are actively running out and would begin using the new bottle pretty soon, it's a good deal. Costco semi-regularly gets grey-market products (things intended for sale outside the US) but I've never worried about counterfeit items. But manufacturers often will dump products that are closer to expiration dates than other retailers will accept, so I try not to stockpile high-end beauty I buy there.

(I don't work for them or anything, but I have lived in Kirkland)

@sojess  @fieldsofclover  I agree about Costco's beauty items.  Ironically, the only thing I've ever ordered from them online that was close to expiration was The Olive Garden salad dressing 2-pack. lol  (Don't judge me; it's over an hour away.)

Thanks so much @fieldsofclover ! Great advice about the possible near expiration date... definitely something to consider. The more I think about it the less I'm inclined to get it. I might just stick to the bottle sizes I can get here on Sephora instead.

That's a good idea @sojess !  I can't remember where I saw it but there's been a lot of chatter about Costco (and someone else??) having beauty items but they tend to be at or around the expiration date.

Just realized I stopped receiving notifications for this thread 🤦🏾‍♀️ (hopefully I fixed it).

Anyway,  this month was supposed to be the no buy month but I snagged the Bite Gemini lipstick earlier and I received a discount code for ColourPop that I may use within the next week, particularly if some of the Shayla collaboration items come back in stock.  Are there any new releases that you all are tempted by?

(that reminds me @RGbrown ,and I cant remember who else [SORRY!] I did finally get my hands on Decadence 😊)

Hope you all are doing well!!!

@ElleElleG Decadence?? Congrats! I hope you love it! 😍😍😍

Grumble grumble *my stupid low buy* grumble grumble 😆😆😆😆

I've pretty much been avoiding the hauls and new releases threads, and what little I have seen hasn't tempted me, so I can safely say I'm not eyeing much of anything right now. I might pick up a Primerizer from the Smashbox $10 sale, but I'm still debating that or waiting and getting it from Ulta with the next 20% (and paying with points instead of cash lol). 

Your low buy isn't stupid @RGbrown, it's savvy!  A number of newer releases have been lackluckster IMO and avoiding those threads also helps a ton!  

How good is the sale?  If you have points and pair with the 20% off though I rarely turn down Ulta!

@ElleElleG

It's a good sale; all travel primers are $10 at Smashbox direct (the one I'm eyeing is normally $15). So my debate is

-pay $10 in cash now

Or

-wait for a 20% at Ulta and pay $12 (but I'll be using points, so no cash oop)

I'm leaning towards waiting...I have points ready for the next coupon, so there's no uncertainty there. And I have another sample that should last me a while since I don't use it often, though I will likely finish it before the next 20% (late Jun is my forecast based on last year). Ulta also does 10off30 Smashbox coupons from time to time, which would get me two of them for $20...same as the current direct deal, and a few points in my Ulta bank. Waiting is probably wiser, so that's probably what I'll do as long as I can quash the impatience factor lol

okay waiting is definitely the better option @RGbrown 

@ElleElleG I'm really struggling over the new Fenty releases... decided I'll pick up one or two pieces later into summer since I've been skipping Bite releases I'd planned for.

Also eyeing the new Nars so I'm going to wait until maybe July and just get the jumbo blush. I like the idea of the lip balm, but I want to hear whether there's anything special about it before I think about ordering one.

Within 10 minutes of your post guess who receives an email that the new Fenty collection has arrived?!!?  Good idea to wait, more time for reviews & deciding which item(s) you're most likely to get use out of.  I'm on the fence about the Gemini one TBH but we'll see how I feel once it arrives.  Some of the shades have been very hit or miss.

Are the NARS items permanent @fieldsofclover?  I wonder if they'll make their way to Ulta, which would of course offer more opportunities to save between 20% offs and points.

@ElleElleG At least you can probably trade/sell the Gemini pretty easily if you change your mind. I'm feeling a pang of regret about Taurus because it might be an MLBB for me, but I'm tired of chasing that unicorn...

None of the new Nars Orgasm items are marked LE... the jumbo 8g blush was LE in the past, but maybe not anymore? They're all good candidates for being permanent, and that would certainly take the pressure off.

I know entirely too many Geminis so passing it along wouldn't be too difficult if I don't like it fortunately.  Taurus was nice and they got a TON of flack for how quickly that sold out.  Not sure if they confirmed it but I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up bringing them all back for a period of time.

I'm sure it will linger around so you'll be able to snag it!

4 Replies
testing