Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

But @BohoBeauty1313, you made it almost a week! That's a good start! Maybe you can set the next goal to make it the full week, with your expiring tarte sale purchase as your reward if you don't buy anything else for the rest of the month. Each time you pass a previous no-buy streak is improvement, inch by inch. 

I also highly recommend the strategy of coming here to tell us when you *didnt* buy something, too. I've found it really helpful to have my own personal cheering section on days that I've made the choice not to make a purchase that was something (I thought) I really really wanted. 

Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@BohoBeauty1313 Even just talking about it is already moving the needle. It takes a lot of time to practice doing anything differently! Thanks for being willing to even let us in.

Thank you for your kindness and understanding. I’m so irritated with myself. On one hand I cannot wait for my new stuff to come in but on the other hand I’m stressed out because I even bought it. I mean I didn’t even last a week. Geesh. I just get so stressed about things and just like that I click buy! It’s so messed up how excited and crappy I can feel after making a purchase. But today is a new day.... however I will admit the special discounts sent to me from Tarte that expire on 3-1 is going to drive me nuts. Then I have the other discounts from Too Faced, Urban Decay, Smolder Cosmetics, Pyper House & a few others 😬 darn it all.... maybe I should change my email address and get a new credit card so it has different #’s not programmed into my phone already! Anyway here’s my relapses from yesterday... I’m going to keep telling on myself until I get this right! Thank you for listening....9C0E2677-99BB-4FCC-8C26-091AB6D92320.png

4C6557A1-792D-4981-99E3-A2AFF78955A6.png

One way to avoid temptation with using the discount codes is posting them right away to the "Deal Too Good Too Pass Up" thread and someone will use it pretty quickly. And, you will be helping someone else out while avoiding a splurge yourself. Good luck!

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Time for a February spending update. Actually, no makeup purchases in February and none planned, so that's a win! January spending included some makeup remove and a foot peel I bought at the very end of the month. But so far the only real "makeup" purchase for me has been the eyeliner and concealer.

January 2018:

-KVD Basket Case eyeliner

-Sephora gel concealer

-Fenty Stunna Lip Paint (gift)

-Matrix Shampoo & Conditioner (jumbos)

-Neutrogena Makeup remover

-Babyfoot foot peel

So not too bad for January! Of the stuff I bought for me, only one was a splurge item and not an everyday use kind of thing. I will be stopping by Ulta in the next week or so to get some makeup remover but that may technically count under February depending on when that gets done.

Great job, @Kay522!

Because I'm weird, because a hoarding/OCD streak runs in my family, and because I treat capitalism as a contact sport, I have a lot of funny little mental "rules" to help keep my beauty hobby in check.

I figured I'd post them here in case someone else finds it helpful. Again, this is what works for *me*, so zero judgement or assumptions about anyone who does things differently!

(Warning: kinda long. Never actually written this out before!)

Spoiler

Makeup:

- Sephora is first priority for makeup shopping. Browsing is ONLY allowed in Sephora.
- No browsing makeup in drugstores (or drugstore side of Ulta). Looking for a specific item is ok.
- No browsing in department stores, *period*. Go in if there's something specific, and you've already slept on it for at least 48 hours, and there's really nowhere else to get it. If it's not limited edition, wait at least two weeks. (I live near the flagship Nordstrom's - very dangerous!)
- Full-size purchases are cruelty-free brands only (I used to only buy luxury brands as an anti-hoarding strategy. This rule has replaced that, and lets me feel good about flat-out ignoring a huge % of launches.)
- Only CF exception: Nars (that's a much longer post).
- No Urban Decay colors, unless they're on sale *and* "vintage" or vibe with their original aesthetic (too easy to overload on clearance otherwise).
- No impulse buys (same trip or <24 hours) of brands not on favored list.
- One-week waiting period on any prestige makeup from Ulta.
- No. direct. orders. (Staying away from the slipperiest slope!)
- Any exceptions *have* to be at least 40% off and already on Sephora loves list for at least three months.
- No online purchases from department stores. If you still want it that badly, get on the train and go to Nordstrom!
- In-store shopping at Ulta only. If it's online-only, too bad.

Skincare:

- No more than three brands in daily routines (I think products work better when paired with things designed to be compatible).
- No more trying out sleeping masks (my skin just likes oils better at night).
- All purchases at Sephora or Ulta (exceptions: PY from OhLolly; Costco).
- Costco: only brands carried at Sephora or Ulta (has to replace a potential purchase, basically).
- No direct orders.
- No impulse buys of brands not on favored list.

Bath & Body:

- Sephora, Ulta, or Costco only.
- In-store shopping at Ulta only. If it's online-only, too bad.
- No impulse buys of brands not on favored list.
- No mall brands, no online shopping, no department stores.
- No direct orders. There is *nothing* in this category you need that badly.
- Doing nails at home all this year! (2018 resolution)
- Nail care no-buy for 2018. You have anything you could possibly need.

Haircare

- Ulta or Sephora only.
- Exception: haircolor kits.
- Probably not going to need anything at all for the rest of 2018, so wait at least a week before any purchases.
- Color your hair at home all year this year!

Favored brands (makeup): Hourglass, Nars, Becca, Fenty, Natasha Denona, Laura Mercier (not selling in China yet), Stila (converting entire line to CF)

Favored brands (skincare): Pyunkang Yul, Korres, Ren

Favored brands (Ulta): Pacifica, Dr. Teal's, Burt's Bees, Eos, The Body Shop, Leaders

Personal no-buy brands: Marc Jacobs, Benefit, Tarte, KVD, Z-Palette, BlackUp (founder was forced out of the business), Dr Dennis Gross (quality is fine, just annoyed me with underfilled product too many times)

Brands currently on PR-related "time-out": The Ordinary, It Cosmetics, Violet Voss (maybe Josie Maran... who releases a foundation collection with only 5 shades?)

I 100% need a list of rules for skincare purchases, as well as for usage (which is what's driving my purchases). I was even thinking about printing out some of the major no-nos and putting them up in my bathroom.

Something along the lines of only having 1 product per type open at a time, and not having more than 1 backup in a product category, and only purchasing backups/replacements if I have no more than 2 months worth of product left.

And not hauling half the brand range when you are curious about the brand, and starting with minis (ideally gwps received with planned purchases) when trying out new products. 

And introducing 1 new product at a time (no more than 1 product in 2 weeks).

@fieldsofclover I responded to this last time, but it looks like you deleted it. I like  your list its a great thing to have. I was curious why you had no KVD and the UD rule, if you don't mind me asking. Thanks for posting about the BlackUp, I had no idea about that.

@Samtian It just disappeared after I posted it! So I thought I'd try again.

Spoiler

The no-KVD thing is purely personal... I lived in Miami when Miami Ink was on the air (got married not far from the old shop location, actually) and I just think Kat is... kind of an edgelord haha. Drama follows her. No hard feelings toward anyone who buys her stuff, and I'm glad she's giving people a CF/vegan option that is different from Tarte's style.

UD is because of bitter nostalgia 😂 I was in high school when they first launched, and the brand had much more of a gritty, post-apocalyptic, cyberpunk vibe to it. I'm glad for their commercial success but all the skulls and silly faux-edgy names just make me long for the good old days. Because I'm old 😂

(Also, that rule keeps me from buying up their endless stream of clearance stuff!)

List looks great, I’ll try a few. Out of curiosity why not Marc Jacobs?

@Moni87

Spoiler

I was actually a huge MJ fan for a long time (it was my "transition brand" when I moved from luxury brands to buying cruelty-free) but over time I've just gradually found the tone of their advertising to be too male-gaze-y or even misogynistic for me to want to keep giving them my money.

I'm a designer and spent a good portion of my career in magazine publishing, so my daily makeup routine and playing in my collection is a big part of refilling my creative juices... I care a lot more about packaging and brand advertising than most people need to, because the makeup I buy ultimately ends up informing the work I produce. 🎨

I need to pay more attention to their advertising. That’s a great reason. Thanks for your response, great insight. 

Thanks for sharing @fieldsofclover. Everyone's goals and journey look so different. I've definitely been struggling with whether to add the cruelty free (and by what definition) to my "rules," as well as some ingredient-related restrictions. If nothing else, it reduces the overwhelming amount of choices there seem to be for someone who hasn't been exploring options long enough to have any rock solid staples. 

@Susubee The choice-reduction aspect is, admittedly, as much why I buy CF as the philosophical aspect is. 

Spoiler

I'm definitely not a zealot about it (or anything, really) but my own approach to the whole conscious-consumption thing mostly consists of asking myself "is this a business I'm willing to give my money to?". CF is a nice, general filter for me to more easily find brands that pay more attention to their ingredients, ethical business practices, etc. I've definitely kicked a few to the curb over (lack of) inclusivity, though.

Again, it's partly philosophy, but also largely because it helps me narrow my spending and enjoy the things I do choose to collect.

A project I started a couple weeks ago has already helped me immensely.  I have been putting my makeup and beauty products into a database.  I found ideas of ones to try on reddit's makeupaddiction.  I went with Sortly. The reason I went with an app instead of a spreadsheet is simply because I need photos and a clean user interface to motivate me to continue to use it.  I'm sure that others could gain benefit from finding ANY way to catalog what they have (especially if it's free!).  There are a couple of reasons for this: cutting down on dupes and accountability--like a food journal.  

Just this week there was a GWP at Ulta and instead of making a cart, I pulled up my app and, wouldn't you know it, I already had a couple of the shades in the set.  I was able to back away from an unnecessary purchase unscathed.  I also got excited about a set that just went on sale at Sephora and was able to see that I have one of the four shades already.  So, now I have some questions to answer. But at least I can make an informed choice.

Mostly I can see that I have a ton of lip products I never use.  So I am on no-buy for lippies now.  And when I see huge surplus in certain areas, I can join challenges here on the boards.  Some threads I like: the masking challenge, the empties thread, the use-your-foils challenge, and the perfume challenge. You can find those and a few others under the Challenges heading here: 

Ones I'd like to join include an active lipstick-a-day challenge.  Anyone have a thread suggestion?  

RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I am going to try sortly. I’m very excited to see if it helps me as it has you plus I’m a visual person as well. I was excited to see it has a business section as well and owning an online women’s clothing boutique I think it will be easier to use that what I’m using now for my boutique inventory. So this is super exciting and if it can help stop me from buying, I’m 110% for it!! Ty for sharing.

@tinobiscuits We do have the Lipstick Playground where people post their daily lipsticks etc.

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Lip-Lovers/Lipstick-Playground/m-p/2020866

You can also  post them in the What are You Wearing Today Thread.

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/What-are-you-wearing-today/m-p/1856146

@Samtian,

Great Minds think alike!  I just deleted my post above because I had the same suggestions that you did!  So, I will just validate your suggestions!  🙂

@tsavorite Yes they do!

Thanks for this @tinobiscuits! I've been looking for a more visual inventory system so I will definitely check out sortly. 

1 Reply
testing