Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Thats awesome @howconnie!

Thats awesome @howconnie!

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Great job, @howconnie

Nice! That's awesome @howconnie. Lipstick is my weakness. It's small and less expensive than a lot of other things. It's easy to cheat with lipsticks. (Also, perfume during Valentine's month doesn't count, right?😉)

I Heart your logic so much @Susubee 😉

Oh thank you, 

I found a couple things that have really been helping with the low-buy.

I now have all beauty-related emails filtered to skip my inbox. I didn't want to completely unsubscribe in case there's a promo when I do need to replace something. Out of sight, out of mind. And I'm blissfully unaware of new products or promos that might be tempting. 

Second, I can't click on certain threads around here, especially the hauls. Those are waaaay too tempting!

txcatx wrote:

I now have all beauty-related emails filtered to skip my inbox. I didn't want to completely unsubscribe in case there's a promo when I do need to replace something. Out of sight, out of mind. And I'm blissfully unaware of new products or promos that might be tempting. 

@txcatx Yes! This was the best thing I ever did! I need to go set up a whole bunch of new rules to catch recent additions, but not waking up to all those BuyMe emails every morning is so helpful. 

@txcatx Definitely! I think haul threads are like bars. There are some people who can go to a bar, sit, watch other people have a drink, watch other people get plastered... and just sip on a Pellegrino without being tempted to have a drink themselves. There are some people who can wander the haul threads, seeing and enjoying everyone's new shinies and feeling excited for them, without being tempted to buy heaps of  things for themselves.

Most people are not those people!

Went in to Sephora today to test my strength. Didn’t swatch anything. Didn’t buy anything. Boo-yeah. 

👑👑👑You deserve a crown for that @alexasteph!!!! Good o...

👑👑👑You deserve a crown for that @alexasteph!!!! Good on ya, I have to cross over to the other side of the mall if im passing a Sephora, it's like a magnetic pull lol

That's great, @alexasteph! I don't think I could do it! I'd have bought a lippie, or something, just because I was there.

@alexasteph Whoa! U definitely deserve a 🏆 for that. I d...

@alexasteph Whoa! U definitely deserve a 🏆 for that. I don't think I could have the will power, I would atleast have to spray or swatch something or I might die!

Re: @alexasteph Whoa! U definitely deserve a 🏆 for that. I d...

@ELNene17 Right?! I have to leave with glitter all over my hand from *something* or I'll think I wasn't even really there!

RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I think I stumbled across this thread by fate... I am admittedly a self proclaimed makeup addict. I LOVE MAKEUP. I love buying TONS of it and most of the time with no regard to my credit card bill 😬 don’t get me wrong my kids are very well cared for, bills are paid and I’m not bankrupt or anything, but I have come to realize that I’ve been buying makeup for a few reasons.... 1. I buy it because I enjoy buying it 2. I buy it because I’m constantly searching for new pretty items that will “make me feel pretty” 3. I buy it when I’m feeling down (& I will be honest- I’ve had a VERY difficult last year & have been coping with some trauma and other issues, so buying makeup has been my therapy 4. I buy it because I feel like I “have to have” the whole collection of whatever new line my favorite brands put out. Let me say here I’m killing myself trying NOT to buy the new Too Faced festival line, among a few other new launches from my other most favorite companies 5. I buy it when I’m happy and “treat myself” Well, I could go on & on. I see that I have a slight problem here with spending money on makeup and it’s crazy because I have so much that I’ve probably only used 80% of my pallets once or twice. I keep telling myself I’m NOT buying anything else unless it’s foundation, concealer, moisturizer, face wash, or something along those lines because heaven knows I have a TON of everything else. I even buy backups of pallets I really love a lot. For example I own 3 to 4 of every single UD Naked eyeshadow palette including Smokey & Heat. Plus I own EVERY SINGLE UD VAULT that came out in 2017. I could go on & on. I’ll include some photos of my collection but note you don’t see all of it in these photos. Anyway, I’m feeling kinda stupid posting all of this stuff. Right now I have numerous items in my cart on Sephora, Ulta, Tarte, UD & Too Faced’s websites not to mention I have discounts to use up from a couple of them (never Sephora- drives me nuts how rarely they give discounts even when you hit their highest membership level and maintain it. Hence the reason I started purchasing directly from some of the companies websites because they tend to constantly offer me promo codes, discounts and have really good membership benefits). I want to buy so bad... Uhg. I literally could live in my makeup room. It’s like my peaceful sanctuary. So I enjoy adding to my “collection“. But I’m trying to be strong. Besides I’m mad at myself for buying every single new tarte lipstick (6 of them) that came out recently and 7 other items from them as well the other night on their site. Of course in my head I rationalize it by saying how I had enough promo codes to get it down to around $150 which is awesome for 13 items from tarte and only 1 of them being a sale item. Still, I know I shouldn’t have bought it all. So, if you’ve read this far you probably see I have a bit of a makeup addiction and maybe accidentally stumbling upon this group was a good thing for me. Maybe talking with others who get it and can relate will help me not click the buy button-especially when I also am in the process of looking to buy a new house AND I fly home to Australia every 2 years which is expensive (but my sister figured out I could fly home a few times a year based on what I have been spending on makeup😬😬😬). I feel like my money should really be going towards traveling or my new house when we find the right one and buy it. So, idk, if someone in this group can relate or understand... idk I’m willing to listen to advice or thoughts. I must sound so pathetic. How embarrassing. Anyway as promised I shall attach some photos of my collection.... I took them about 6 weeks ago so there is actually more and my whole collection isn’t even shown in the photos. That’s just some of it. The drawers have mostly my duplicate pallets in them and other random makeup... it’s a lot. I know....

I can absolutely relate. I buy to treat myself and then b...

I can absolutely relate. I buy to treat myself and then buy even more when I'm stressed out to soothe myself 😭😭😭 I'm easing myself into changing my habits by setting low buy goals and finding alternatives to manage my stress🙃 However you go about it, baby steps is what I figure.

@BohoBeauty1313 yep short term goals is definitely a good...

@BohoBeauty1313 yep short term goals is definitely a good start in right direction. U don't have anything to be embarrassed about it, were all human. A mini challenge I started was to not purchase anything from one of my fav cosmetics line Colourpop for 2months if ur up to it maybe u could try it with one of ur fave brands & keep checking out this thread there are alot of great suggestions & motivating people here good luck 👍

Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

You're not alone.  We're a bunch of hoarders here.  😉 We're also a great group of support no/low buy.  Have you check out the Pan-It thread?  I think it's great to curve the urge of impulse purchasing.  Good luck @BohoBeauty1313!!!!

Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@BohoBeauty1313 you've come to the right place!  the urge to splurge is very real but this group is awesome at helping to talk people down!! 

good luck on your journey!

I know exactly how you feel, @BohoBeauty1313!  Welcome to the thread!  I hope you feel that we can help one another!

RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Hey BohoBeauty1313! I’m so glad you were willing to share with us - stress shopping is a real thing! I’ve been working on not buying as much makeup too and really pairing down my collection. I know where you’re coming from with buying makeup as a coping mechanism; it’s a habit I also have that I’m trying to break. I guess I just realized that all my makeup didn’t make me happy, it just made me depressed that I had so many expired items I never used and had to chuck. 😞 I’m trying to replace makeup shopping with other hobbies - even with just creating new eyeshadow looks from my own collection! I hope you’re able to meet your savings goals!! It’s so empowering to save money for things like a trip or a house! Much love ❤️

Thank you for showing your collection I love the way you showcase your palettes.

All of us love makeup. I’m doing a lipstick no buy for February, I couldn’t resist getting three lipsticks this month. At first I was sad that I was unable to do a complete no buy of even one product for a month but I got back on my no buy and have not purchased another lipstick this month.

Perhaps, you could set a limit of only purchasing one lipstick or gloss from a release to try out low buying? 

testing