Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@howconnie Hopefully it ends soon haha!

Two weeks in. No makeup or beauty purchases. I did go out with some coworkers and I needed to grab some coffee on my way somewhere, but other than that, I've been good. 

February 2017 total: $190

February 2018: $0

@alexasteph Good idea! I'll have to do this in secret.....Very away from the husband. Haha 🙂

@alexasteph I like how you know your totals. I try to do that, but always give up after the second paycheck of the year lol.

@Samtian I just look at back at my purchase history and figure it out that way.

RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Soooo I only found out about this conversation thing a few days ago I think it’s awesome then I stumbled upon this thread. I quit my job dec 1st because my bod was a psycho and I can’t even remember the time I bought something...oh it was the too face just peachy matte and palette. Okay so I haven’t bought anything like 3 months. With that said we are going to Jamaica next month was already planned for in July....Soo I need new makeup right...someone needs to take my money away. I bought two obsessions palette from huda beauty, nyx brights palette, a Becca gloss on sale, ahh nyx highlighter 3 nyx Lippies, wet n wild brow, skinny mascara, liquid liner, tarte B.B. tinted moisturizer, and I have 3 items in my cart right now.....struggle is real I need to stop and can’t!

Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@amanda2628 something that may help is consider what you will actually take with you on the trip and then what will you actually wear?  Keep in mind that more new releases will come about between now and your trip so it may be good to postpone purchases to see what new things pop up and which older items get a price reduction.

Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Darling you’re going to look fabulous on the island, make sure you pick up a gorgeous bathing suit and some self tanner. I recommend jergen in shower bronzer light or suave 

I suck at saving money, especially when I'm down or stressed. Right now, I'm trying to not spend money on beauty items because I honestly don't need it (and can't afford it as much as before). I usually end up justifying it because I don't usually buy other things for myself (shoes, purses, clothes, or jewelry) and I don't often get presents (we're not big on celebrations). I also don't have a lot of friends nearby and don't have much to do so I end up at the mall. I'm torn because I want to save money and use up stuff that I have, but I love trying new things. The struggle against the pretties is real.

Awww I completely understand @makeitup305 !  Instead of going cold turkey why not give yourself little rewards?  Another idea if there's something that catches your eye is to intentionally set aside a few dollars for it each month and then reward yourself.

@ElleElleG I'm trying to little by little be more conscientious about what I'm purchasing. Hopefully I get to the point where it's replacing items that have run out.

I don’t have many hobbies either, and my dearest friends have moved away so I play in makeup. Realizing I’m on the other side of the mountain and many products accentuate wrinkles I glitter on.

I understand, @makeitup305!  I don't really have other hobbies, and my car is 8 years old (and will be around for a while) because I hate having a car payment.  I'm also cheaply weird in some ways - for example, I hate running the dishwasher & washing machine unless they are absolutely full because I hate to waste the water.  So I sort of justify it as my hobby and that I'm frugal in other ways.  I do need to try to cut back, though!

@curlychiquita I just end up feeling bad afterwards when I look at all that makeup I love and haven't used in a while in search of the newest best thing. Even if the money isn't getting spent elsewhere it just seems wasteful. I think watching so many YouTube videos warped my reality of makeup spending- I'm not a reviewer so I shouldn't be trying to keep up with new releases like they are and it feels like that's what I’m doing. I'm definitely not getting paid to buy all this stuff (I wish!). I just want to be more conscientious of my spending and not end up looking at my spending budget like WTF! 

@makeitup305 I can relate... and going to the mall here is something I prefer to do myself because I don't have many friends who are into makeup in the same way.

For me part of it has turned out to be the thrill of the chase, so I'm working on getting some satisfaction from being able to see something in person and swatch it (at which point I'm usually let down by it) instead of buying it myself.

Is your interest in new releases a reactive thing (like ooh, I want it because it's new)? Or are you stalking releases for the certain perfect smoky palette/nude lip/coral blush/purple shadow/etc. ?

@fieldsofclover I like things because they're new and pretty. I don't need anything. I'm pretty sure I have every tone of any color for every part of my face that I could possibly need. It's more the thought of "is this better?” “Oh I wonder how this compares to ___” and I love trying new textures and new finishes too. But it's starting to lead to a sense of dissatisfaction for my overall makeup and shopping experience.

Even if I gave away half of my collection I'd still have more than the average person by a mile. I think I've just gotten carried away with purchasing items because of YT and IG and BT and it's warped my sense of how much makeup I should have. I just look at people trying new things and my brain goes “I want to look like that too” but I already have things that do the exact same and let's face it- how different can this "new thing” really be? This isn't to say I wouldn't own every single release that came out if I could but what it comes down to is that I need to prioritize what I buy and stop spending money lon items that are just going to end up getting used once a month, not because I don't like them, because I have so many others.

Sorry about the ramble.

Me too, I Want all the pretty makeup 

@makeitup305  I think long rambles are good in this thread, whether or not anyone else reads them (I always read everyone's here). 

Beauty should be a fun hobby that brings us joy, but there is also so much social and societal "stuff" tangled up with it that I think it takes some effort (and rambly self-inquiry) to *keep* it a love and not a burden.

@fieldsofclover thanks 🙂 it's a weird subject to discuss with people who aren't as into it as we are, so BIC is a good place to unload.

Really wishing I had taken store credit for that second big return instead of a real refund. Being an adult is overrated. 😡 But I bought new things by actually returning the returns that had been sitting on my dresser for six weeks! So that's an improvement. 

I'm officially giving up on my no-more-Nars ideals, but almost all the new makeup I've picked up since New Year's is either Hourglass or Nars, which is good because historically I've bought less and enjoyed my collection more when I only follow a couple brands.

Yes being an adult is overrated that’s why I have chosen to never grow up. I’ll just play in my makeup toys forever.

3 Replies
testing