Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

So in January I spend more (of course🙄) than I originally planned to but I will look at the bright side: I haven’t placed a single Sephora order!!! Wooohooo😆 Also most of my purchases were paid with gift cards. Suprisingly I spend more at ULTA than Sephora. They had really good GWPs so it was hard to resist. On the other hand ULTA’s shipping sucks so I don’t think I’ll be placing order soon. 

For February my goal is to not place online orders(Sephora or ULTA) and not to buy anything in ULTA unless there is a good multiplayer. I also limit myself to one Sephora trip a week. Baby steps😊

@katkapivarci  Good job!  I always felt badly about having to develop a new habit slowly, but then a personal trainer said that except for a very few, most people are like that.  I was glad to hear I'm normal-ish.

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

🤤$691. Thats how much I spent on gas in January. That's disgusting.

Oh wow.  What are your gas prices per gallon? @GG84

...ouch!!!

RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

That’s close to what I️ spent this month. I’m should be ashamed of myself.

It's tax-deductible though, right? I don't know how you all do those gas prices... I always fill my tank before I cross the border. 🍁

@fieldsofclover Yeah because I'm self employed it's a tax...

@fieldsofclover Yeah because I'm self employed it's a tax deductible but I still have to pay for it now lol I don't cross the boarder enough to compare gas prices. We go back the litre, you go by the gallon...there are 3L in 1G I believe.

Re: @fieldsofclover Yeah because I'm self employed it's a tax...

Forget I said anything, then. Nothing to see here 🎶🤐

Shop your stash: mascara edition. I love Velvet Noir but I decided I'm done giving money to Marc Jacobs, so I'm in the market for a new mascara. I just want to see how long I can go without buying one... since that will mean buying twelve.

(I have long lashes with curl so I have opposite needs of most people and can't shop based on reviews. It sounds enviable, but it mostly means almost all mascaras clump or transfer on me so once I find one that works I re-buy it for *years*. Finding a new one could easily be a $200 project and I'm really not in the mood for that right now.)

IMG_20180202_161952.jpg

@fieldsofclover so basically you don't need mascara 🙂 . I think most of us wish we had long lashes with curl since we spend so much money on mascaras that will lengthen and hold a curl.  If only we had your problem 🙂 . #lashenvy #lashgoals #longcurlylashproblems

On a serious note though, have you tried buying the mascaras that everyone hates because they don't lengthen or hold a curl?  

Like I said, sounds great until you have to shop for it. 🤨 Like how everyone wishes for long legs and forgets that means pants are always too short.

"It doesn't work!" is everyone's complaint about every mascara unless it's their HG. But it's difficult to sort out genuinely bad products from ones that could work for me even though a lot of people hated it.

Comments like that are probably why I can never find any useful reviews, though. None of us want to ever write anything because everyone immediately shouts us down about how great it must be. It's fun to be minimized!

I cashed out my Ulta points last night; I like it when a plan all comes together like that and I'm happy about it.  My Lancome lipstick collection is almost complete (1-2 left, of which I'm not even certain I want those colors unless I see them IRL.) So, that's out of my system and I can stop spending time perusing the site, wondering how I'm going to spend my points.

Any tips for a no-buy/low-buy? This is the first time that I'm doing a no-buy (well more like an extremely limited low-buy) that's going to last two months. 

Thanks so much for the tips!! 

im trying to remember that in the event if a zombie apocalypse i won't care about makeup...& if i do i'll survive for years!!!

more helpful things:

• shop my stash
  • reorganize my set up and storage
  • unsubscribe from emails
  • stay busy
  • have a goal to work towards

These are all great. The unsubscribe one was liberating for me... I can't get FOMO if I never heard about the sale!

somehow the makeup emails have been replaced with ones for baby clothes....back to unsubscribing i go!

I kept telling myself "You have enough lipstick to wear a different one everyday for a year. Don't buy this," and eventually I listened to myself. 

@alexastephLOL- Or, as my husband likes to say, "You only have one face."

@Ispend2much6 Haha! Yeah but that one face might need to wear more than lipstick in a day sooooo..... 

1 Reply
testing