Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@alexastephHehe!  Yes, but let's just say I'm afraid to count how many lip products I own.

I've started trying to equate things to the cost of something more practical: $26 lip balm? That's what I paid for groceries last week. Or two mid-range meals out. $38 toner? That's 1.5 tanks of gas.

It helps me keep it in perspective when I try to convince myself that it won't be that big a deal if I splurge on "just this one thing."

@Susubee  Great tip, and very true.  Everything costs something, either time or money.

@Susubee Wow, that is a great idea! I’m going to start doing this! 

@Starburst24 Some ideas depend on the size of your existing stash... there are number of people here who make baskets each month of different items from their collection that they want to use more often. Some people do a series of "one week one palette" challenges so they're not just using the same things all the time.

I don't really have enough makeup for that, but my collection of skincare samples has gotten a tad large so I'm doing something similar with those. The common theme seems to be finding ways to keep things feeling "new" instead of actually buying something new.

A tip is to always double check what you have so that your not buying a similar product, and also look up sites or other programs to earn money for gift cards in case you actually do need something that you dont have

This is the kind of thread I NEED in my life.  I can ALWAYS reason with myself a totally logical explanation as to why I need to buy something.  I haven't purchased anything since just after Christmas, and I had a gift card, so I was really being enabled.  Now, I'm getting my taxes so I feel like I can finally splurge a little on the skincare I had been holding back from getting.  I think one last hurrah is in order before the sale in April, no?  I just need more enabling...

Oooooh you want the Haul Stars group for enabling... here we're mostly trying to talk each other out of stuff haha 💸

I became VIB Rouge in January...one month! My husband is going to kill me!!! So glad I found this thread!!! I'm on a huge Sephora/Drugstore diet this month! And next month...and until I've used a tenth of all the crap I've bought!

@MrsFrizz  Now that you've reached Rouge, the pressure is off to reach it. 😉  You're not alone.  I reached the Rouge level for this year, 2018, during 2017. 

Haha I *wish* you could bank Rouge status ahead of time. If that were the case I'm already Rouge through 2020 or so 😂

@MrsFrizz i think most of us have been there at some point!!!

It's February first. I've already been to the vet twice this month (ie, TODAY) and learned my homeowners insurance is going up. And there's a weird pool of water that never goes away outside my from walk that I should probably investigate eventually when I get up the courage. This after January - aka, "everyone is maxed out after Christmas, so lets just make every yearly payment we can think of due right now!" 

Essentially, I'm never getting to buy anything ever again. Ever.

(Don't mind me. I'm having a day.)

@Susubee  Those home surprises are not fun.  We had pooling water on our porch and front door landing (both concrete,) and that ponding caused the conditions for massive termite damage to occur.  A few other big things happened, to the tune of thousands of dollars of necessary repairs.  It would not have been so harrowing had I not bought so much junk, to be honest.  Not just makeup, but things like ready-made foods, etc.  The little stuff all adds up for me, as much as I feel suffocated by having to pay attention to all of those details.

So, I really agree with you, adulting isn't always fun.  I just tell my kids it's something you have to do. lol

@Susubee sending you massive hugs! this was my life this summer just weeks before i had my daughter so i feel your pain! 

time for some good karma to kick in!

@Susubee, I know that feeling.  These things seem to come in waves.  Homes really are a money pit.  I hope your pet is better.  Good luck and I hope things improve!

I certainly know the feeling. Hugs to you.

@Susubee aw man, I hope a rough start turns into an awesomer month (totally a word 😛

a-big-hug-for-you-teddy-bear-graphic.jpg

Thanks. If I make it through the workday, I'm getting frozen pizza. And possibly ice cream. And coloring and watching cartoons and preying In five. Friday Partay!

That is definitely a day! 💫

I'm convinced it was in fact several. 

2 Replies
testing