Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

It's hard to pass up steals for things that are "kind of" good, but not what you are dying to have. 

I have a feeling this birthday haul will be epic @Lazybeautybeast !  Nice job on your low buy this month!!

It's going to be legendary @ElleElleG!!! I actually need to make a list. I'm wondering if I have to will power to hold off until a 20% sale and spend my birthday money then so it goes a little further. 🤔

On the one hand, waiting means new releases and time to reconsider things on your list.  On the other hand, your list may get too long LOL.  This is a tough one @Lazybeautybeast

So far, so good for me for January.  I only purchased shampoo and conditioner which I ran out of. I will be picking up a foundation with my ulta coupon since I am at the bottom of the one I am currently using.  I‘ve been moving through my samples and current stash.  Whatever doesn’t work for me I give to my mom.  Of course now she is overwhelmed with the big bag I gave her, but she hasn’t had to buy anything new yet either.

That's great, @Beth530!

Okay... I redeemed my Ulta GC and use the 20% off for a final purchase in January. I got some Clarisonic brushes, Clinique Take Off The Day Wipes, and the new Philosophy Pore Extractor Mask I've been wanting to try. The GC and 20% brought it down to just over $16 out of pocket for me. Which is good because I decided to join a new gym in town and the initial cost was first+last months dues. I'm making myself feel a bit better about the dollar to dollar difference because I was expecting to spend that money at Ulta anyway, since I thought the GC would come out closer to the 15th. I'll no longer be getting something "unnecessary" at Sephora this month, since I used the GC to replenish at Ulta. It's still "technically" January, so I'll count this towards my January purchases, even though I won't get the items until February. 

2017 YTD - $106

2018 YTD - $104

Difference - -$2!! 

@alexasteph did you factor the GC into your total or just the 16? Also you're ending the month in the positive so that's always a plus!

@ElleElleG I’m just counting what my out of pocket cost was, so after the coupon and the gift card my remaining balance was $16. 

proof (ya hear that sparklez!!! proof!! listen to the proof!!!)  that i don't need to buy anything - these are the things i'm decluttering this month...they either don't work for me and or i don't love them/like them

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 10.21.50 AM.png

I spy several BoxyCharm items @sparklekai 🤔

What are your thoughts on the Glam Metals palette?

@ElleElleG i know!! and for a minute i actually thought about cancelling boxycharm! but i think the products i like still make the value more than with it for me! 

the glam metals palette just wasn't for me.  i think it was an average palette in terms of quality.  not horrible but nothing remarkable.  the shades aren't for me.  these aren't the colours i will wear.  

Ah you're not alone with those thoughts @sparklekai !  December was such a fail box for me that I almost did it then.  I'm wavering because they have had some great boxes but now I feel meh.  It may also have something to do with the volume of samples I have now......and the fact that they keep sending me face palettes that I have no use for 🙄

That girlactic lipstick is terrible!!!  I feel like they were big jerks putting that in the Boxycharm this month!  @sparklekai

What??  I actually wanted that instead of the lip plumping crap @heartsmyface ....what was wrong with it?

@ElleElleG if you want it i can pop it in the mail for you? might take me a week or 2 to get there but its yours if you want it!

Aww thanks for the offer @sparklekai , I'm OK though!

my confession is that i didn't even try it @heartsmyface! i just know that i'm over liquid lipsticks so thought i'd pass it along while i could. 

Another shop-your-stash photo. I rounded up all my cleanser samples to keep in the bathroom where I'm more likely to actually use them! 

Because of the packaging style I can't really tell when I'll run out of my second cleanser, and I don't want to buy another until all of these are gone.

IMG_20180130_223020.jpg

This is something I need to do. I'm extremely tempted to buy the new Tatcha cleanser even though I have two tubes of face wash already.

Visibility is a HUGE help @shyvicki !

testing