Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@Susubee  Ulta is tough for me to pass up too; sometimes you earn 2/3 back of what you pay in purchases!  But, if it doesn't help me meet my goals, it doesn't matter. 

It's the freebies. They suck me in every time 🙈

Okay, so I was doing great all month not needing anything and behaving really well and I ruined it all in one night of therapy shopping hiding out from family in Regina.  I’m considering returning everything, but let’s be honest, I don’t return things unless they’re broken.  I’ll do better going forward.

In happy news... no it’s not a good thing, never mind.   Oh and Sephora is really rubbing it in my face.  FE21589A-F5DC-4720-8596-CE606A7DDCBB.jpeg

No worries @heartsmyface , therapy shopping happens.  It doesn't sound like you overuse the return policy and I don't think a few returns in this situation is a particularly bad thing especially if you ordered things you don't truly need.  

LMAO Sephora is so rude sometimes.....no one asked for a reminder, thanks 😜

@heartsmyface I have less then that to go...i dont even w...

@heartsmyface I have less then that to go...i dont even want to post it...it's been 31 days!!! What did I buy?!!?

Re: @heartsmyface I have less then that to go...i dont even w...

@GG84 this is what I'm asking myself 😭

(I wrote it all out, but it still hurts)

Spoiler

Screenshot_20180131-163614.png

I never would have guessed that was your name. I honestly pictured you a Vanessa lol @fieldsofclover

I know it adds up quickly but normally it’s due to smaller purchases throughout the month.   I almost made it too which is the real irritating part. @GG84  if I had of waited just a couple more days. 

@heartsmyface  It's the small purchases that kill me too.  My husband suggested (and place) a piece of paper at my computer to write down my purchases so I don't lose track of the spending and have a huge cc bill.  $20 doesn't sound like a huge amount of money, but done ten times in a month and you're talking $200.  Yikes!

@Ispend2much6 That is a really good idea. I always order from my phone, if i force myself to do a mobile excel spreadsheet *which I detest* I bet that would curb some spending

oooh negative reinforcement 📊👍

@GG84   I am sooo fortunate I never got a smart phone; I'm sure I would be 10x worse.  Hope it works for you.

Good idea.  I should do it checkbook style.  Thanks!  I’m going to try that for February!  @Ispend2much6

@heartsmyface  It works as long as you don't lose the paper...every month...subconscious rebellion? 😉

On the bright side, this post made me snort-laugh at the end of a very trying workday. 

(Just call me Pollyanna!)

😂🐽😂.  Haha,  perfect!!! As long as the snort wasn’t due to the « I will do better » cause I’m already having a hard enough time believing myself.  😭

(I do think i’m doing better than last year so there’s that.  

@Susubee

@heartsmyface I think it was this bit: 

"In happy news... no it’s not a good thing, never mind." And honestly, don't ask me to explain my weird sense of humor. I was expecting an actual bright side, and then things took a turn, and my brain short circuited. But hey! Now THAT can be your bright side. If you consider my brain short circuiting a bright side. (Obviously, I'm still in reboot.)

/Oh wait! I know the bright side! Now you can post a haul and we can all have fun looking at awesome things!

(snort-circuiting)

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

So I did pretty good this month, I focused on low-buys and splurged on my galentine instead of my self. I did go shopping today, but I spent more time in Target and the less expensive portions of Ulta than in Sephora. I actually talked myself out of everything I picked up in Sephora. 😊 I also went to 2 Marshalls but didn't get anything! They had some awesome palettes too. My inner angel and devil definitely had a dialogue but the angel won! lol I just keep reminding myself that my b-day haul is coming up.

@Lazybeautybeast  I love that; angel and devil dialogue.  It's so true.  I'll bet you'll enjoy your birthday haul even more as you resist the earlier purchases.  I already spent my birthday allotment two months early. lol

Lol. It's so true.

Devil:"This TF palette is discontinued!! Get it! And this ABH palette that you have never even thought about buying before is $40 at Sephora and they want $17?!? You don't want to lose money."

Angel: "You just want it because it's on sale. If you had to pay full price you wouldn't get it." 

Devil: "But its TF and ABH palette for half the price!"

Angel: "If you buy this you can't buy as much for you bday. Put it down." 😆

It helped that the things I REALLY wanted were swatched. (Gross!) I told myself I would only buy KVD palette if they had it and they didn't. 

15 Replies
testing