Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Well, it looks like my colourpop ban till march wont stand a chance. I pleaded with myself to ignore the lux lipstick launch but cp just unveiled a sneek peek & their is at least 4 i can't resist 😞

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

These are not limited edition right @ELNene17 ?  Instead of snagging them right when they launch what about waiting until you are able to see swatches?  Or holding off until another 20% off rolls around?

@ElleElleG ur a genius!

@ElleElleG ur a genius!

January spending update! I'm gonna try doing this at least monthly, maybe twice a month. Hopefully having it write out all my Sephora/Ulta purchases will keep me from buying too much.

January 2018:

-KVD Basket Case eyeliner

-Sephora gel concealer

-Fenty Stunna Lip Paint (gift)

-Matrix Shampoo & Conditioner (jumbos)

So not too bad for January! Of the stuff I bought for me, only one was a splurge item and not an everyday use kind of thing. I will be stopping by Ulta in the next week or so to get some makeup remover but that may technically count under February depending on when that gets done.

My goal for this year is to try and focus my spending on tools (such as makeup brushes I would like in my collection), possibly a new hair dryer, and staple items I use for hair, skin care, and makeup already. 

I am going to try and avoid impulse purchases and other things I do not need. Going through my collection, I have so many unused things BNIB from last year! 🤔 I also need to stop buying backups of makeup items, since I rarely finish anything.

The backups should be relatively easy @angel7594 .  Do you happen to have your items somewhere that you can easily see?  I find that makes me more accountable when I'm tempted to snag extra.

@ElleElleG, I do need to work on making my items more visible. I still have stuff in moving boxes to unpack! 🤔🤦‍♂️

Ha!  I understand the struggle @angel7594 !!  I've been in my place nearly 2 years and still have some boxes hiding in plain sight, LOL.  Not to be a bad influence but perhaps you should just pull out those things you are tempted to repurchase and leave the boxes for another day 😆

I was running low on cleanser and I was desperate so I emailed Ulta again asking for my 20% off coupon so I could use it in stores. Finally I got it, so I picked up the new(ish) IT Confidence in a Cleanser. I haven’t used it before, and I really love the L’Occtinate but I feel like I go through that sooooo quickly. After using my new cleanser last night, it seems like I don’t need as much to get the job done so I should be able to stretch it further. I redeemed some points as well, which brought the cost down. There are a few more things I need to pick up but I’m not desperate for it so I’ll place an online order and use the code @MissPuff so kindly sent to me before it expires. 

Previous YTD - $76

New Purchase - IT Cosmetics Cleasner (w/ coupon and points) - about $12

New YTD - $88

This time last year - $106

Difference of $18

Looking forward to February, I spent $190 at Ulta and Sephora last year. I’m expecting to spend at least $50 for that dang free shipping (plus the items I need are a bit more anyway) at Ulta, and I’m hoping I can redeem my Ebates for a Sephora GC to treat myself to something. Other than that, February should be an even bigger difference from last year. It’s the BFs birthday month so I gotta get him something too I guess.... haha.

@alexasteph I like that you are keeping track of your spending and comparing it to where you were last year.  May need to incorporate this!

@ElleElleG It’s really helpful! It shows me what I spent on things I barely use... I know I’m not the only one who has enough eyeshadow to supply a sorority so why would I spend that money again? It reminds me how much I’ve bought in the past and gets me to second guess those impulse “check out” clicks. Especially since I’m saving for a trip over Spring Break... seeing I spent $190 on stuff last February tells me I should have at least that and then some available for when I go. 

Darn your logic @alexasteph LOL!  All good points though.  In general I am fine with spending until June/July and then things go wayyyyy down hill late October through the end of the year.  Adding your methods of operation to my to-do list.

RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I’m over the halfway point to rerouge 😞. I need help.

Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

This is a judge free zone....but inquiring minds want to know, it's January, what did you buy? LOL @KNC24

RE: Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@ElleElleG girl skin care. I’m a skin care junkie. I got two skin hydration sets by Sephora favs. Two combo skin Sephora favs set, full size tatcha deep cleanse, 3-4 lip liners, and 3 lipsticks. That’s the only stuff I can think of off the top of my head.

Re: RE: Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Well I know who to reach out to when I start to look into new skincare @KNC24 !  They tend to have some great sets so I can't blame you for those, I usually get the SiJCP sets during holiday season, nice opportunity to try new things.

Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Yeah I had a reality check when I VIBed in week 3 😓

Does it seem to be mostly in one or two categories? Makeup, skincare, haircare, bath & body, etc.?

RE: Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@fieldsofclover it’s mainly skincare with some makeup. I’m a skincare junkie. Makeup still learning. That’s what my saving grace is.

I think I have a new strategy that's working for me. Now that I'm mostly working at home I'm shifting my buying pattern to more in-store shopping and less online ordering, since running errands for an afternoon gives me a reason to get out of the house (Prime Now and Amazon Fresh make it too easy to accidentally get cabin fever).

For now I'm focusing on tightening down to little or no impulse shopping rather than a general low/no-buy... the past few trips to Sephora and Ulta I've planned my purchases ahead, checked stock levels in the app, and basically used my online cart as a shopping list. I've done this successfully four times now without getting anything that wasn't already in the cart/plan. Also did a lot of swatching of products I wasn't able to see in person until today, so now I can edit my loves lists accordingly. And didn't buy anything I swatched! Success 💪

only a couple more days left in january & i'm starting to really get the buy urge! i need nothing & i don't even have anything that i want to buy.  but i feel that urge to hit the check out button!! 

i'm pulling all my makeup out & reorganizing in hopes of losing this urge!

Since you don't really need anything I like your idea of distraction! Sometimes when its more about the 'process of buying' something then a specific product I head to the dollar store. I'll pick up something random for the house and browse the shelves knowing that the damage can't be too bad! A box of extra soft tissues or cotton wool are beauty items, not expensive and always used! @sparklekai

1 Reply
testing