Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I agree the number of new releases is a bit overwhelming.  On the plus side, once you compare items to one another very few are unique and that makes them that much easier to pass on.

@nche, you're right, there have been almost too many new...

@nche, you're right, there have been almost too many new releases recently! I love the new ND citrus face palette, but it is time to take a break from new items! There will be something just as exciting in 6 months when I finish my ABH palette!

I hear ya @nche! I was experiencing total burnout from all the makeup launches. Not a bad thing I suppose, since I am trying to stop buying so much. 😛 But then Pat McGrath comes out with the Decadence palette and I'm seriously struggling not to buy it. Of course the one thing I want is almost $200CAD with tax and also happens to be LE. Trying hard to stay strong!

I thought shopping for my galentine would allow to me live vicariously and not purchase anything new for myself, but it's not really working...I now want to try all the things I'm gifting 🙂 Must. Be. Good! No more spending till after I get back from my next week!

@MissPuff . Adding items to my "love" list is one of my strategies to keep me from buying stuff.  I'll add it to the list, I research the ingredients, I view youtube reviews about it, etc.  If I can swatch the product at the store I do (especially for makeup items) and I've been successful so far in not buying any makeup products this year, so far.  The reality is that although my collection isn't huge (subjective of course, I've seen some really huge collections and others that are smaller than mine) I'm not using my products enough to justify buying another eyeshadow palette or any other makeup product.  

I have a Pan It Project that is also helping me realize that I don't need any more makeup products, so this year I'm on a no buy makeup (with a few exceptions like foundation, eyelash primer/mascara, eyebrow pencil).  Thanks @ElleElleG for this thread!

Skincare on the other hand, is a whole other story and I purposefully didn't set myself any purchasing goals.  But I've taken a similar approach.  Use up the products I currently have (don't buy any more masks, except maybe the Fresh Instant Perfecting Mask - unfortunately I"m loving the deluxe sample, ugh) although I am on the hunt for my holy grail eye cream and also a better SPF option.

Keep up the good work!

Add it to your list of things you want to pick up and see if they still interest you later 🙂

@ElleElleG My favorites list has been updated... 🙂 I'm hoping by the time the spring rouge sale rolls around, I will have lost interest 🙂 

nice work @MissPuff !  I'm sure there will be some new things that come out between now and the sale; you'll be glad you waited 😬

My goal this year is to create a budget and live by that, but I haven't gotten around to doing that. In the mean time, Sephora is giving out all these double points. I'm doing everything I can to not buy a tub of Glamglow super mud. I also have obsessive compulsive disorder and used to be obsessive about never spending money. Now all I do is go shopping at Sephora and Ulta when there are the deals. I went from 0 eyeshadow palettes to eleven within the past 2 months. Basically the struggle is real, and I know I'm just going to sit around and hoard my points because that's what I've always done. I know I can resist purchasing anything, but I bought into flash shipping, so uh I feel like I'm going to be throwing in one or two little things all the time. I guess that's better than trying to get $50 dollars worth of stuff to get the free shipping. I'M TORMENTED BY THIS OBSESSION.

That flash shipping is both the best and worst thing to e...

That flash shipping is both the best and worst thing to ever happen to me. It's led to a lot more impulse buying.. but who doesn't love fast and free shipping... at least it's led to a lot more samples and rewards... lol.

You can do it!!! There are some pretty nice budgeting apps out there which have helped me a lot.

RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I’ve stayed away from my local Sephora and Ulta all month! I’m on a drugstore kick right now. I’ve been wandering around my Rite Aid, CVS and Target. Not much damage but it can still add up quickly.

Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Target gets me every single time!  Though the purchases tend not to be beauty related.

RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@darlyndar how did stay away👀

This is for sure where I belong! It’s hard being on a budget but I must! I am mad as hell that I am still on chemo.  It’s stealing my budget and my young skin! My husband does his best and surprises me with Sephora gift cards as often as he can. I love him! ❤️❤️

I have my birthday ( Nov) and Christmas gift cards so I can do a little shopping! I am still not positive on what I want to buy yet. I thought my rouge status expired in December but looks like it doesn’t expire until December 2018! I am happy about that! 

It’s funny how a little title has meaning but I look forward to hitting it!  It’s really where all my extra money goes LOL! I usually save half my gift cards and do a big shopping trip when my rouge expires. Before I got sick I collected nail polish, coach handbags , shoes 👠and make up and now I just collect make up pallets lol! The good news is I still have my old bags and shoes oh and probably 300 nail polishes  hehe! I actually don’t miss it as much as I thought I would! I for sure appreciate them more then I once did! 

I’ve  been sick and on chemo for 5 years now! Most people don’t understand there is cancers that require very long term treatments. There’s new treatments they’re testing so We are hopeful for a cure though! 

I am here to support everyone on a budget because I for sure understand the feeling! My biggest problem is what to buy when I get to buy! I want everything LOL 👍❤️

Sorry to hear that you're dealing with this!  Prolonged health issues of any kind can be difficult, but it sounds like you have a strong spirit. 

I tend to want everything as well but find that time and looking into reviews help.  Someone else mentioned this too, but if the product is still on my mind after several days/weeks then it's something I actually want.  More often than not though I've forgotten about that must have item in a few short hours due to another release or sneak peek.  

The Sephora Favorites kits always get me. So far there are 3 up (1 not available yet) but I must not be tempted....I must not be tempted ....lol

Actually I'm fine without the kits. I have tons I need to get through so buying more would be silly!!

RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

If it can help you i purchased the « give me some new lips » kit and i returned it. It seemed so appealing with the full size marc jacob and the brand new fenty lipstick in there! But honestly only one of all of them is wearable. Its the marc jacob one wich is a pretty basic color that everyone probably has in their colection plus the formula is nothing special. The rest literally make you look like a disco ball. But now im tempted to buy the new « give me some nude lips » lol -_- stay strong!

Re: RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@isabellestp I respectfully disagree. “Wearable” depends on the person and I can wear all the colours in the kit. The Trestique is a sheer balm that can work for many. I actually find the nude lip kits to be too light for me in general (and I am in no way tanned or deep skinned). 🙂

The "Give Me Some Lip" kits always tempt me. But like I already said, I have way too many lippies right now.

RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I’ve already bought two of the Sephora favs. The hydration kit. One for me and one for my mom.
testing