Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Why don't you try to Pan your Becca highlighter and then buy the UD x Leane. That way you will feel super accomplished for finishing a product and be justified in buying a new one??

Thanks

Thanks

You've hit pan but there's still plenty of product left right?  Hang in there for a bit longer.  One of my SAs commented that they wouldn't be surprised if that collection went on sale sooner rather than later.

@ElleElleG yep there's enough to carry me over until it g...

@ElleElleG yep there's enough to carry me over until it goes on sale. Thanks.

Okay ladies, this is going to be a long post but I REALLY need to try better, be more accountable and I know I'm going to need your help and this thread to do it. Though one of my Key 5 resolutions was not budget based, the last few weeks have shown me I definitely need one. I’ve bought 13 different beauty related items, and I am only in need of 3 of them. I’m a few dollars away from becoming VIB again, and for me thats unheard off. Though I have been Rouge the last few months, I wouldn’t have been if I wasn’t also buying my mum all her skincare. Yes I’ve gotten back into a detailed skincare routine and wearing makeup, but that does not justify going broke over. 

I justified the heavy spending in the last few months of 2017 as building up essentials and not skimping on products that weren’t going to help me. I pre-saved for it and went all out during the 20% off sale. Around the same time, I’ve also discovered this blog and am loving chatting, learning and partaking in challenges along the way. The problem is, I seem to lack all self-restraint to stop buying things all you lovely people recommend, try and purchase. (This is not a blame game on any or all of you, many I have personally asked for recommendations). 

I’m going to do a few things to be more accountable:

1. Make a list of all my existing skincare by category (This won’t happen until end Feb)
  2. Post on this thread if I plan on making a purchase, mentioning if I have a similar backup and waiting 4 days before purchase (Is there really ever a beauty emergency?)
  3. Limit 3 purchases a month and these can be carried over. Only time I can break this is for sheet masks, The Ordinary Products and while on Holiday. This includes everything from eye cream to mascara!
  4. Remember to be thankful for everything I have

If you read all the way, THANK YOU, flu medicine and shivers clears the mind I guess!

@Aaliaa i know i said never do it but maybe an inventory with cost for categories you typically purchase would help.  seeing everything like that was the shock i needed to stop the urge to buy things just because.  now when i'm thinking about something i go to my google doc and look at the 18 other products i have in that category to decide if i actually need it (fyi the answer will always be no 😞 )

Thanks @sparklekai, honestly I'm a bit too scared to add prices! I might take baby steps with a list first and then prices. The list will also help me judge what I will need to buy as the year goes on so I can have a rough plan each month. I've been on the lookout for a matte palette and I'm going to be mindful and wait till either February/March, look for the right one and then enjoy it when I buy it without feeling guilty.

totally baby steps @Aaliaa! you want to be aware not have a stroke! 

BT, well I guess BIC now, is the worst enabler there is so trust me I understand just how easy it is to purchase something based on the various conversations you encounter here.

Looks like you have a good plan.  I would caution you about the rollover part of your list though.  It's easy to start counting rollovers and to over-accumulate.  Having extra allowances is good unless you still end up purchasing things you don't really need weeks/months later than you would have otherwise.  No clue if that made a bit of sense, lol.

Totally get your point about rolling over. The reason I've allowed it, is because during the sale spring/autumn these rules will apply, so I will probably roll over (and save) each month like I did last year and buy more during that month. Honestly, if I can get past February alone I'll be quite happy.

I love your plan of action, @Aaliaa! One thing that has really helped me is, like you said, saving for the sales and buying big there. Another way I strategize for this is cashing in Ebates and credit card points for Sephora gift cards. It’s kind of like, “free money” (or I tell myself... hahah!) so it helps me curb my spending even during the big sales. 

Thanks @scott1201! So I started Ebates for the first time last quarter. I am supposed to get my refund in a check, is that the best way or do they charge you a fee for it?

@Aaliaa Typically, a week or so before my check is mailed they will email me with the option to get a giftcard instead. It also doesn't cost money and they typically give me like 2% more to choose a giftcard instead of check!

Well a Gift Card it is, because I know I've already spent that money (well mentally anyways on something I can't get here is Canada). @scott1201

Yay @Aaliaa! I'm definitely pro-long-posting in this thread... recently I've found myself wishing BIC had some kind of mini-blog function since I'm really enjoying the little walled garden here.

I am reading your post here and nodding along... my spending/BIC-participation arc is similar and I just hit re-VIB today (writing this on the metro actually). No regrets, and a big chunk of that is spending store credit from items I've returned, but it's time to put the brakes on and enjoy my stash for a while!

Your list looks great. Post as much as is helpful, too.

I know right! I wish we could bookmark (and actually access those posts!). I decided to go over my resolutions and it took me ages to find my post!

Exactly, one of those items I bought, that was not on my plan was Good Genes, but I used a sample and can see such a drastic difference I don't mind. Do I need another enzyme mask, no the answer is no.

There are a few brands that either aren't available in Canada or shipping is really expensive and I plan on picking up while in TX, but do I really need most of them? I really need to try and think twice so that by the time I actually enter a Sephora/Ulta/Drugstore I haven't spent all my money!

@Aaliaa

I'm right there with you; I bought pretty much anything and everything my heart desired last year, and this year has got to be different...I can't keep buying and buying...I have no more space, and the budget needs to loosen up as well.

Something that has helped me has been to display and/or organize everything that I can. Skincare-wise, all of my masks have a shelf in my cabinet. Treatments and moisturizers have their own shelf, and cleansers have their own as well. And the same goes for my makeup...all of my palettes are lined up together, and everything else is sorted out by type (a cup of eyeliners, a cup of lip liners, mascaras all together, single shadows share a drawer, blushes and highlighters in their own drawers, etc etc). Now, if I'm tempted, I just have to think about what I already have like it, and I can picture the overload that's currently in place since I have it all organized. The thought of trying to shove one more mask in the cabinet or one more palette on my poor stuffed shelf is just more than I can bear lol.

It hasn't stopped every single purchase, but it has helped tremendously. And most of the few purchases that I have made this year have been tremendous bargains...a $40 LQ lipstick for $10, $18 Jinsoon polishes for $4.50, and so on. 

I'm also working on moving through my various samples, which has been a big help. I crave variety, hence the massive collection, but I can't keep buying everything just to try it. My samples largely went ignored last year as I always had another new full size something-or-other to play with, but I am making them front and center this year, trying to clear some out while keeping my need for new stuff satiated.

Slowing down is tough! Congrats on committing to it, and good luck with following through 🙂

Thanks @RGbrown! I've tried organization, by putting each category into its own drawer or space, but late night sephora browsing is getting to me! I spend so much time 'just browsing' its a dangerous slippery slope. I might try and devise a more visible way of displaying my skincare, so I'm more aware of what I have and therefore need or not need.

Looks like we are on a similar track with samples, I cleared out a lot of my samples at the end of last year, organized them and am now trying to use them one by one.

We all just need to work together to keep each other motivated (however cheesy that sounds)!!

Love it!

Later tonight I'll post a photo of how my bedside skincare is set up now... I spent a while tinkering with the visible-stash idea after the resolutions thread got rolling and it's really helping me make the most of what I have.

Thought i would give some advice for people who are on a budget, or cant really afford some beautiful make up goodies (im in the same boat). Make sure you guys use ebates when you do your sephora purchases, and also you can use an awesome app called Hatch where you can earn amazon money and then purchase a sephora giftcard with it. Honestly this helped me buy so many goodies where at times i did not even need to pay out of pocket.

Yep Ebates, and other cashback, sites are wonderful IF you're already planning a purchase but the bonuses they tend to offer can be too tempting for some.  

Same thing with GWPs, if you're not in *need* of something don't let a good cash back percentage reel you in 😉

testing