Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@bakeamuffinWhite Peach anti-haul update: I was in a Sephora this evening (skincare class) and while I was having a wander/swatching ABH Prism afterward there was a guy in the TF section walking his buddy through the entire historical arc of the peach/chocolate bar hype cycles.

So I asked him if he'd seen the new palette, what he thought, etc. (this dude seriously knew what was up, the random Peach commentary I overheard was ace) and he was basically like "Chalky, all of them, formula doesn't look like it's behaving like the other peach palettes either" so there you go, we can be FOMO-free now. 

I might swap out a couple shades but I'm going to stick with my little ABH quad plan, and you probably have 80% of the shades, or possibly better versions, spread out through your other TF loot. 🙌

@fieldsofclover thank you so much, that makes me happier than it should haha To onad the formula is not

up to par, it’ll be easy to skin knowing that combined with the similar colours. This just means I can go back to building my KVD collection, right?! 

Good job not buying the TF palette! Just wait it out unti...

Good job not buying the TF palette! Just wait it out until your birthday or the spring sale. We can do it!! I've added it to my cart so many times but I have to wait! @bakeamuffin I'm right there with you!

( @bakeamuffin psst... what face wash? )

The Dr. Jart+ Dermaclear micro gel face wash @fieldsofclover 😄😄

RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@bakeamuffin I feel your struggle! I need to stop with the eyeshadow palettes. I have the same shade of brown 500 times over. I’m concentrating on hitting pan (my biggest fear in life) and not purchasing doubles of everything Limited Edition.

Re: RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I feel you @darlyndar, I don’t want to hit pan! Something’s gotta

give though haha! 

Re: RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@howconnie is my panning role model. I'm determined to learn to love it this year!

Aww, so flattered thanks 🙏🏿 

@bakeamuffin I'm still thinking about it because I'm already looking for some of those shades anyway, but I see so many people saying how similar the pans are to a few other TF palettes... I honestly don't think you'll be missing out on anything.

@fieldsofclover that is actually really reliving to know others felt the colours were close to others. Maybe if I owned less TF palettes this would be a good addition. I did like the formula of the Just Peachy palette. 

@bakeamufffin Gambling on whether TF's formula agrees with my face is mostly what's holding me back since I can't swatch it in a store yet. I built an ABH quad (hasn't arrived yet) that is trying to hit the same notes, but the White Peach colors seem less muted in the photos... bah. #paleproblems

OKAY I'M ON BOARD. As badly as I want some of the new releases, I just can't justify adding new eyeshadow and cheek palettes to my collection (here's looking at you White Peach and Diamond & Blush). Since my daily routine is so basic with makeup anyway, I barely wear what I do have. So I'm trying to wake up a few minutes earlier and use more products I already have. That will hopefully prevent me from wanting to buy new makeup products. I've starting to post in the Perfume Challenge thread again to keep me from wanting to buy new fragrances. So, for my low-buy, I'm limiting myself to replenishing skincare and hair products, primers, and using any Ebates back through gift cards or Ulta rewards (I have some saved up already) if I want to purchase a new makeup product. In September, I will get the Bite Virgo shade. I'm also going to commit to listing what I've purchased and how much I spend at the end of each month. Even though we aren't at the end yet, here we are to start (and they do follow my rules!):

Ulta: UD Primer $34

Sephora: IGK Walnut Scrub $36

Target: Granier Leave In $4

Total: $74

I went on a low buy so I decided to peruse target and the drugstore. Ended up spending just as much money 😢 

Slip ups happen, don't beat yourself up over it!  Target always full of temptations.  Take note of what drew you in this time around and try to avoid them next time 🙂

you know those dang surprise bags we had as kids? i now hate them!! i see mystery bag and i'm like I NEED ITT!!!! i'm walking away from you pur $29 mystery bag.  i'm walking away.  i'm going to circle you a bunch of times but i'm walking away!! 

@sparklekai

Pur's mystery bag is now $20 and code SLICKDEALSPUR brings it down to $12.50. Free shipping at $40, unfortunately, but at least that's before the discount so 2 bags will be $25 and shipped free!

Sorry, I know this is the low buy support thread, but I also endorse purchases that involve some major good deals 😛

@RGbrown I caved 😛 because ebates is also 7.5% and heck my birthday is on sunday 😛

just kidding...i was about to hit to order and it won't take ontario as a province - realized i need the myus thing so this purchase was not destined to be!

Seeing the mystery bag swap thread bubble along has helpfully put things in perspective for me. So many people who got stuff they already own or don't actually want! It's like a thread about really expensive Play! boxes 😂

I spent too much this holiday season plus just bought Hamilton tickets for later in the year. I’m on a no-buy for the next 6 months (at least on clothes and makeup). It’s so hard and I feel total FOMO from LE packaging. 

Also, Lisa Eldridge just put up a new video and commented on how exhausted she is by the pace of new releases and how similar they all are. I totally agree. It’s just too much. And I’m not into many of the brands that are popular on social media so it’s already a lot easier on me than most of you. 

testing