Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Exactly @jesscheems finish your current stash then go back for more 👍🏽 👍🏽

Oh yes they are a weakness of mine too!

Oh yes they are a weakness of mine too!

Ugh yes! Especially when they’re such a good deal! They actually help my budget sometimes like the Becca $25 primer ones. If you guy two then you have two full size primers! That last me at least half of a year! So then I save money on what I spend on primers or that’s what I like to tell myself. 😂 ROFL! 

RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I should try not to let the foils buy ins get me.

Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Nooooooooo don't fall for the foils @KNC24 !  In the grand scheme of things you receive very little product for the amount of money you'll end up spending.

The only time I'd say go for GWPs if it has high value and/or if you already need to make a purchase.

RE: Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I’m going to do better @ElleElleG.

I'm in, I desparately need this. NO more shopping for me this month, I'm just going to get a couple of things for my galentine and resist the siren call of new pretties. I've still got bills to pay for my broken foot so I really need to save. Thanks for starting this thread, @ElleElleG

Oh no! I hope your foot gets better soon! 

"Siren call of new pretties" -- why is that so accurate @prettyinpa ??

Sorry to hear about your foot, I hope you have a smooth recovery 💕

Hello there. I have subscribed to this thread because I m...

Hello there. I have subscribed to this thread because I made a personal vision board for 2018 and this was on there. I like the idea of sticking to LE items, panning challenge, and sales! We just had the 20% sale event and a separate 20% code for shopping. When is the next one? (for planning purposes and to stay on track) The only things I ever run out of, that I find hard to stop buying, Lancome sunscreen and eyebrow products.

Re: Hello there. I have subscribed to this thread because I m...

The next one should be in April but if they mimic past years it will only be 15% off for VIB/R @sunshine202.  I agree with @sydtomato that if you want to stick to sale times that you should plan for several months at a time.  

Another option is to evaluate exactly what you are purchasing.  Are there other retailers that offer your staple items?  Do they have sale periods, better rewards, or offer substantial GWP?  Something you may have to do is plan your purchasing across different retailers to maximize savings, etc. 

Also, LE items are tricky.  Things to ask: is this a brand that usually discounts the LE item after a period of time?  when this brands says "LE" does it stay that way or do they tend to reintroduce the limited items?

So I just used my last gift card. and still spent some ca...

So I just used my last gift card. and still spent some cash on my purchase. Seriously, going to try and go 3 months. Very hard my winter skin tone has significantly lightened more than ever. So my foundation is a tad too dark for me. Sigh. Do you stay away from YouTube? I feel like every video I watch I am convinced I need whatever product. (which I dont).

Next one should be in April.  I suggest figuring out how many of those products you use between the sales, so about a 5-7 month period, and then you can have enough to last until the next sale.  I do this with products I always use then I can get it on sale.

I do too! I buy my mascara once a year because the lash stash last me all year! Especially because I get so many in my monthly sub boxes. I think I am going to cancel my Sephora play box, I just don’t use the samples often enough. I end up forgetting about them and they end up in a drawer. I also sub to Ipsy , Boxy-charm and Julep, although I skip julep most months. I do love their face wash though. So Every few months I get that. I also like Juleps make up brushes and I like that you can customize the boxes. I save a lot of money by using the Julep face wash. 

I need to join this!! Though I'm happy that it's almost halfway into January, and the only beauty product I've bought is the Sephora Favorites Give Me Some New Lip set. Lipstick is the last thing I need, but I was so curious about the new Marc Jacobs and Fenty lipsticks that when I saw that the set had the colors I probably would have chosen anyway, I had to get it since it was the most budget friendly option. 

The other thing I'm questioning right now is related to subscription boxes. I'm subscribed to both Play by Sephora and Allure Beauty Box and trying to decide if I should cancel one or both. On one hand, it's a great way to try new-to-me products, but on the other hand, I probably don't need two beauty boxes a month!

I know how you feel about the subscription boxes. Before November, I was subscribed to Play, Ipsy, and Boxy Charm. I canceled them due to money getting too tight. When my money situation gets better, I know I want to resubscribe to Ipsy since I love that you get a say in what they send you as far as colors and brands go. I may or may not resubscribe to Boxy Charm. I won't resubscribe to Play since I end up not using at least half of what I get sent.

Well, subscription box dilemma solved, and the universe may have sent me a sign. Saw the Play box spoilers, and they're sending me the same hair product I've already received twice and an eye cream I've already received once. I think I'll stick with Allure for now!

I am going to cancel Play too. I just feel like I don’t use the samples, they’re always so tiny and don’t seem as good as some other boxes. I know it’s only $10 but $10 adds up! 

@txcatx Me too! Almost...So far I've only purchased the kit then picked up another #lipstories yesterday to redeem for the YSL 500 pt perk. Night Mauves turned out to be way too light on me but I'm loving the Fenty

I stopped the Sephora Play subscription when I realized I had already tried most of what they sent and that I was only keeping it around for the extra 50 pts redemption.

@MissPuff That's a good point about the Play box. But...I find that after subscribing to various beauty boxes, I haven't had to buy primer, dry shampoo, or hair volumizer in years. 😄

I also forgot until this morning that I did buy one other beauty product last week at a Dior counter--the new matte Lip Glow. But now I've satisfied my curiosity of all the new lip product formulas, and I think I'm good for now. Those #lipstories have been really tempting, though.. 

Lizzie McGuire is back and she's donning her well-deserved HOF gear 😉, LOVVVVVVE  💕

Do you find that you actually use the items you receive in each subscription @txcatx ?  I am less familiar with the Allure box (signed up recently to receive the January items) but does it allow you to pause the box on months you're not interested in?  We typically have full spoilers for Allure in the Subscriptions thread so if you are able to pause it that could be one way to cut down on subscription box costs/avoid products you won't use.  

Thank you for bringing up subscription boxes, I need to come to a decision about BoxyCharm soon as that could save an additional $21 each month, sigh.  

testing