Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 Resolutions: Makeup, Skincare and Haircare Edition

With the countdown to Christmas/holiday season and the New Year I thought it would be interesting to take a moment and plan some resolutions around our love for everything Beauty. In my experience its important to be realistic about your plans and also be willing to adapt as the year goes on.

Do you want to try the Project Pan challenge? Promise to use SPF everyday? Be diligent about double cleansing at night? Be more experimental with colours and techniques? Hate resolutions and live everyday in the moment!?!

List your resolutions, either each from skincare, haircare and makeup or multiple for any category. Listed below are some examples of resolutions, with mine in bold. Feel free to list your own!!

Beauty Resolutions for 2018

1. Avoid impulse purchases, take a day to think twice before buying something
  2. Use all my face products at least once a month each
  3. Wear more then shades of brown on my eyes!
  4. Clean them Brushes - Face, eyes, hair and sonic
  5. Take care of my lips - scrub, moisture for the win!
  6. 'Make up' a budget and stick to it
  7. Treat SPF like your phone, always on you
  8. Routine Routine Routine, the skincare edition
  9. Take 30 minutes every week for self care like multi-masking
  10. Don't jump on EVERY new product hype
  11. Try new hairstyles - curly, wavy, straight, coiled?
  12. Clear your makeup/skincare/haircare collection giving/throwing away products you no longer use or are expired
  13. Accept that one persons mole is anothers beauty mark - Love what you got!
  14. Spend less time looking at makeup GIF's!

anigif_enhanced-9615-1417521769-9.gif

Happy Holidays!

Re: 2018 Resolutions: Makeup, Skincare and Haircare Edition

i'm ready to set my goals for 2019 but felt it was only right to end off 2018 first!  my goals were:

1) mask more

• you got 'em use 'em
  • at least once a week

i have a total of 7 masks currently in my stash.  3 eye masks and 4 face masks.  all of which came into my collection in the last couple of months.  i do need to get back to masking more often.  for a while i was doing a mask on a weekly basis.  i have 2 kids, go to school and i have a full time job so i find by the time i get the little one into bed i'm exhausted and just end up crashing myself.  some form of masking will be in my resolutions for next year.  

2) use the collection

• project pans
  • monthly makeup baskets
  • rotate products into use to finish or get use out of

i have mixed emotions on how i did for this one.  i did rotate stuff and project pan like a crazy woman - i finished 67 items in project pans.  where i think i fell short was on the rotation of products.  i got so stuck on using things up that i didn't really rotate a lot.  i plan on going hard again next year for project panning so i'm going to need to figure out a balance!

3) low buy

• get over the fomo
  • repurchases when out of a type of product - not because 1 of 30 is finished
  • no impulse purchases - think about what is being purchased and why
  • buy things because i really want them not because everyone else does

i think this is one area that i actually did really well in.  i'm purchasing very few makeup items in general.  i don't really care anymore what other people like its about what i like and more importantly what i will use.  

big shout out to @Aaliaa for starting this!!! really helped to keep me on track!

Arise, thread! I want to write my 2019 resolutions soon, so it's time to see how this has worked out. 🤔

Spoiler

🍀 2018 beauty resolutions 🍀

1. 🔎 Find a new everyday BB/CC/ZZ cream Supergoop! CC
  2. 🔎 Find a new signature scent
    I had one picked out but I think I have to go to Canada to get it now.
  3. 🔁 Find a new basic neutrals palette for everyday looks 
    I had crossed this off, but it didn't work out after all. I've ended up just using a Dior cream shadow pot as my lazy default eye look.
  4. 🔁 Use up both incoming Dr Gross vaults by October (skincare routine discipline)
  5. 🎨 Eye palette diet - only 5 this year [ 🗹 🗹 🗹 🗹 🗹 ]
  6. 💆 Skincare before bed! Just do it!
  7. 💆 Work out a consistent weekly multi-mask/nails/hair/etc routine
    This is still a work in progress. Sigh.
  8. 🌦️ SPF every day
  9. 💅 Do my nails at home this year
  10. 🛀 More bubble baths!
  11. ♨️ Go to hot springs/Korean spa at least twice [ 🗹 - ]
  12.  Replace my Mia brushes more often
  13. Keep up my finally-well-organized vanity area!
    This was going great until about October.
  14. 🐇 Make all full-size makeup purchases from CF companies
    I got really conflicted about this because so many CF/"green" brands made major inclusion/diversity fails this year, and a lot have crappy shade ranges in general. So I started prioritizing that over CF status, because I had kind of painted myself into a corner as far as brands I'd like to support.
  15. 🛍️ Spend higher % of my budget on WOC-owned/friendly brands 
    Moderate success. I'm still half-on/half-off the CF wagon; if I fall off I'll probably be looking more to PMG in 2020.
  16. 🛍️ Beauty budget: ideal re-Rouging timing of September or October
    The biggest of fails. But I'm prepping for a year-long 2019 no-buy.
  17. 🉐 Test products in-store but shop online when possible (better promos/freebies)
  18. 💋 Book a free Rouge makeover or attend an event at least once every other month 
  19. 💇 Maintain current hairstyle for at least 6 months (just got a cut I really love)
  20. 💇 Invest in a high-quality straightening iron or hot brush Amika Blowout Babe brush
  21. 🎁 Keep maxing samples so I can donate extras to women's shelters
  22. 🚮 Toss old/expired stash items: stop feeling bad about it... just do it!
  23. 🚮 No more Marc Jacobs purchases (dead to me after last ad campaign 😡)
    Successful, except for one eyeliner in October when I became allergic to the one I had been using
  24. 💳 Use up all my store credit before ordering anything online
  25. 💰 Low-buy in Q1/Q2 (shop the new stash - no re-VIB until June)
    Faaaaaail
  26. 💆 Choose and transition to a permanent skincare line (AmorePacific, Sunday Riley, Tatcha, Herbivore) by December Youth to the People
  27. 🈹 Curate my Loves list carefully, so I can capitalize on sales 
  28. 🈚 Get hooked on using things up! 

Wow - great job this year with your goals, @fieldsofclover 📄

Thank you for resurrection if this thread. I need to scroll through and find mine... I can’t even remember what they were 🤭 FYI, @Aaliaa messaged me on elfster recently and she’s having trouble signing into BIC. I would love to see another thread for 2019!

Oohhhh I can't believe its time for this again!! Shall I start a new thread ladies? @scott1201 @fieldsofclover

Also @fieldsofclover, I haven't seen you in a long while, welcome back missy!

Yay you can log in! @Aaliaa

Yes! New thread 😄

I haven't forgotten about you, goals thread...

Spoiler

🍀 2018 beauty resolutions 🍀

1. 🔎 Find a new everyday BB/CC/ZZ cream Supergoop! CC
  2. 🔎 Find a new signature scent 
  3. 🔁 Find a new basic neutrals palette for everyday looks 
  4. 🔁 skincare routine discipline
  5. 🎨 Eye palette diet - only 5 this year [ 🗹 🗹 🗹 🗹 🗹 ]
  6. 💆 Skincare before bed! Just do it!
  7. 💆 Work out a consistent weekly multi-mask/nails/hair/etc routine
  8. 🌦️ SPF every day Supergoop CC
  9. 💅 Do my nails at home this year
  10. 🛀 More bubble baths!
  11. ♨️ Go to hot springs/Korean spa at least twice [ 🗹 ☐ ]
  12.  Replace my Mia brushes more often
  13. Keep up my finally-well-organized vanity area!
  14. 🐇 Make all full-size makeup purchases from CF companies
  15. 🛍️ Spend higher % of my budget on WOC-owned/friendly brands 
  16. 🛍Beauty budget: ideal re-Rouging timing of September or October faaail
  17. 🉐 Test products in-store but shop online when possible (better promos/freebies)
  18. 💋 Book a free Rouge makeover or attend an event at least once every other month 
  19. 💇 Maintain current hairstyle for at least 6 months (just got a cut I really love)
  20. 💇 Invest in a high-quality straightening iron or hot brush Amika Blowout Babe brush
  21. 🎁 Keep maxing samples so I can donate extras to women's shelters
  22. 🚮 Toss old/expired stash items: stop feeling bad about it... just do it!
  23. 🚮 No more Marc Jacobs purchases (dead to me after last ad campaign 😡)
  24. 💳 Use up all my store credit before ordering anything online
  25. 💰 Low-buy in Q1/Q2 (shop the new stash - no re-VIB until June) faaailed
  26. 💆 Choose and transition to a permanent skincare line (AmorePacific, Sunday Riley, Tatcha, Herbivore) by December
  27. 🈹 Curate my Loves list carefully, so I can capitalize on sales 

Wow girl, you've been really thorough about working through your list. I might ignore seeing how I'm doing on mine till tomorrow 😊 @fieldsofclover

This is going well; May was a record month for me with empties. The Nars x Erdem and Burberry palettes are my (very) long-term panning projects now, too.

Spoiler

PhotoGrid_1527984540654.png

I just love your lay-outs!! Great job, @fieldsofclover! 👌

RE: Re: 2018 Resolutions: Makeup, Skincare and Haircare Edition

@fieldsofclover Well done 👍

5. 🎨 Eye palette diet - only 5 this year [ X X X X X ]

(*️⃣ Bonus Modern Ren replacement: Nars x Erdem - Night Garden)

I've been using blushes on my orbital bone so I decided I didn't need to replace the pinks, but I did need this palette. Now I'm really done until holidays.

ok so here is my update! 

1) mask more

• i feel like i've been doing well with this.  i only have 3 more sheet masks in my collection.  the only other masks i have are the 2 i just received from bic and origins!  
  • going forward i think i'm going to limit the sheet masks i purchase and use and find a good hydrating mask and a good purging type mask - the origins masks may end up filling this void.  so far i've only used them once so way too soon to may that call but so far so good

2) use the collection -project pans, monthly makeup baskets, rotate products into use to finish or get use out of

• so far i'm about 50/50 on this.  i've been doing pretty well on project panning and using up products but i haven't been rotating stuff in and doing monthly makeup baskets.  
  • going forward need to figure out a balance between rotation and project panning

3) low buy -get over the fomo, repurchases when out of a type of product - not because 1 of 30 is finished, no impulse purchases - think about what is being purchased and why. buy things because i really want them not because everyone else does

•  planned purchases were  -january mac purchase - birthday gift - restock items i actually use, january sephora purchase - birthday gift  - something fun (possibly 2 somethings...), november vib sale - restock products i'm low on/ran out of, sephora december coupon
  • i'm doing pretty well on this.  i made both of my planned january purchases.  however my sephora purchase ended up being something fun and unnecessary and i ended up regretting it. i've made 3 other purchases that weren't on this list - but i'm considering all necessary in some way.  i feel like i've done a good job at changing my mindset. there are plenty of things i want but i don't need everything, particularly when i already have 8 billion options
  • going forward continue to be mindful of purchases.  i don't know that i will wait until the november sale but purchases will have a purpose

@sparklekai You've been very mindful of how you are handling this.  Very nice work.  It's tough to keep a level head about some of these purchases.  Sounds like you're doing pretty well.  Don't beat yourself up for a purchase you regret that's beyond returnable.  Just remind yourself to stick to your limits and keep on the project pan.  Keep it up!

@sprocketta thanks! the regret was mostly because i grabbed things i didn't need & haven't used but i've decided to use the regret to keep me motivated!

Looks like you've been doing really great @sparklekai! I definitely need to work on being more mindful too, because I definitely give in once in a while.

@Aaliaa i've only become more mindful because i'm working on another plan!

5. 🎨 Eye palette diet - only 5 this year [ X X X X X ]

1️⃣ UD Naked Basics

2️⃣ ABH Prism

3️⃣ Nars Danger Control

4️⃣ Becca Ocean Jewels

5️⃣ Burberry Complete Eye Palette (Smokey Grey)

(*️⃣ Bonus Modern Ren replacement: --- )

---

So other than a possible eventual peachy-pink replacement for the ABH I returned in January (which will probably be the Burberry in Rose Pink whenever it restocks), this shop is closed! I'm done buying eyeshadows until November now. I'm pretty happy with where I'm at, too... the Burberry has become a surprise daily go-to for me, and I really love the others even if I don't reach for them every morning (well, maybe not the UD but it's ok, it's doing the job for now 😂).

Good Job @fieldsofclover. I wonder why Danger Control was 50% off the other day. I almost bought it but those colours just wouldnt work for me. Did you get the Burberry with the 15% off sale?

@GG84 The Nars is kind of hard to use... it's more like pressed pigments than eyeshadow, I need to use my fingers with it. I'm ok with having paid full price for it, it slots nicely into my "tropical cyberpunk" aesthetic, but I see why it didn't sell well.

I paid full fare for the Burberry at Nordstrom... I reserved ten different grey palettes there and then went in and compared them all to each other right on the fancy little tray, so I had already made my peace with buying the winner outright. I was happy to pay the sticker price to get the whole in-store-reserve experience... it saved me a huge headache since I find shopping in crowds or negotiating a lot with SAs to be kind of stressful.

Back in January a bunch of ladies had asked me to do quarterly checkins to see how we are doing on our resolutions. Well, my original 4 or 5 resolutions are going pretty well. I need to get better with SPF and not use the excuse of I'm only in the sun for two minutes each day. I've also gotten products a majority of my daily skincare regimen down to products I love. I'm looking for a few treatment products to add to my arsenal and I've used the sales to find a few.

The masking is definitely going well and the other thread has helped me a lot so thanks to everyone who has helped kept it going! However you might be doing, todays a new day!

1 Reply
Photos10
  • anigif_enhanced-9615-1417521769-9.gif
  • NY resolution tina fey.jpg
  • 11150206_10153997334238840_7423197495935150770_n.jpg
  • 11146267_10153997330033840_3585831608123696307_n.jpg
  • 11148721_10153997326898840_8680722449612985404_n.jpg
  • 09852F18-055F-48D4-8F3C-BDC21E883698.jpeg
  • 6FC405EF-5A34-4169-B0BE-E655260A44C3.jpeg
  • Samples sorted for donation to local women's shelter/dress-for-success program
  • PhotoGrid_1527984540654.png
testing