Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 Resolutions: Makeup, Skincare and Haircare Edition

With the countdown to Christmas/holiday season and the New Year I thought it would be interesting to take a moment and plan some resolutions around our love for everything Beauty. In my experience its important to be realistic about your plans and also be willing to adapt as the year goes on.

Do you want to try the Project Pan challenge? Promise to use SPF everyday? Be diligent about double cleansing at night? Be more experimental with colours and techniques? Hate resolutions and live everyday in the moment!?!

List your resolutions, either each from skincare, haircare and makeup or multiple for any category. Listed below are some examples of resolutions, with mine in bold. Feel free to list your own!!

Beauty Resolutions for 2018

1. Avoid impulse purchases, take a day to think twice before buying something
  2. Use all my face products at least once a month each
  3. Wear more then shades of brown on my eyes!
  4. Clean them Brushes - Face, eyes, hair and sonic
  5. Take care of my lips - scrub, moisture for the win!
  6. 'Make up' a budget and stick to it
  7. Treat SPF like your phone, always on you
  8. Routine Routine Routine, the skincare edition
  9. Take 30 minutes every week for self care like multi-masking
  10. Don't jump on EVERY new product hype
  11. Try new hairstyles - curly, wavy, straight, coiled?
  12. Clear your makeup/skincare/haircare collection giving/throwing away products you no longer use or are expired
  13. Accept that one persons mole is anothers beauty mark - Love what you got!
  14. Spend less time looking at makeup GIF's!

anigif_enhanced-9615-1417521769-9.gif

Happy Holidays!

I moved to keeping only a "capsule wardrobe" quite a few...

@sparklekai Love this! I moved to keeping only a "capsule wardrobe" quite a few years ago after reading "Forever Chic" and it is still one of the best decisions I've made. I definitely have to weed out every so often but I feel like having even one minimalist area of my life has so many mental health benefits! (And I feel more free to be editorial in my makeup, oddly enough.)

Re: I moved to keeping only a "capsule wardrobe" quite a few...

Yess @fieldsofclover! Iโ€™m working on changing over to a capsule wardrobe, I follow thegarmentlife on Instagram and she shares ethically made, amazing clothes and does pop-ups and stuff. Itโ€™s been a huge help in acquiring staple pieces ๐Ÿ˜

@fieldsofclover i am FARRRR from a minimalist! i only ended up getting rid of about 50% of my clothes! i still have a ways to go

@sparklekai  Evolution, not revolution ๐Ÿ•‰๏ธ

Re: Marie Kondo is getting to me... considering returning a p...

@sparklekai  That's a ton of clothing you decluttered.  Less things in a home can lead to a clearer mindset. 

Oh wow @sparklekai! I try to do a declutter before every winter and summer but there are always a few pieces that sneak in knowing It doesn't fit me/I don't love or just because! Good on you @fieldsofclover!

that was my typical seasonal declutter @Aaliaa! but after reading the book i went hard. if i didn't love it and/or it didn't fit it went!

Re: 2018 Resolutions: Makeup, Skincare and Haircare Edition

I definitely need to stop being tempted by good deals or even stocking up on products. By the time I finish a product, I usually want to try something new, so I tend to pull out samples and find something I love even more. 

Also, I really, really should not re-Rouge within the first few months of the year. No red brush of shame for me until late in the year!

@txcatx  You make a very good point about backups.  The same happens when you finish a product you get the itch to try something different.  It's a hard battle because if there is such a good deal should you miss out or cave? ๐Ÿ˜ž

Couldn't agree more about the deals @txcatx! My online impulse orders are typically due to the promos they send via email. Recently, those promos haven't piqued my interest which may be a good thing!

Also, I was so close to not re-Rouging last year, but a last necessity pushed me over... oh well (lol!)

ughhhh deals are so hard to resist!!!! 

@txcatx Agreed! I am definitely living the mini life when...

@txcatx Agreed! I am definitely living the mini life whenever possible from now on... do you have a target re-Rouging month/season?

Yup. After three years I've allowed my VIB Rouge membership to lapse and by not very much. I am committed to making fewer better purchases. 

@Aaliaa Iโ€™ve got the day off tomorrow and Iโ€™m going to jump into my resolutions right away by tackling 1, 2, 3, and 8 ๐Ÿ™‚

1) Do my nails more often. I have so much pretty polish, but I find it so difficult to tolerate the boring drying time each week. Does anyone have any suggestions to make it a better experience?

2) Set a monthly budget and stick to it. I honestly never set a budget in 2017, and Sephora laughed all the way to the bank! 

3) Clean my brushes more often. I used to be so good about this! I just have so many now that itโ€™s quite a process...

4) Donโ€™t give away things so quickly. I need to give products more chances before I kick them out of my beauty organizer. My friends love my fickle nature but my wallet doesnโ€™t. 

5) Learn to use my Beauty Blender properly. Iโ€™m a brush girl and I just canโ€™t seem to fall in love with my Beauty Blender. I think I just need to hone my technique more. If anyone overcame a similar Beauty Blender hurdle, let me know what helped you ๐Ÿ™‚ 

6) Wear even more colour to work. Iโ€™m already living the editorial life every day but I can push it further for sure. Which brings me to my next resolution...

7) Stop hitting the snooze button in the morning so I can spend 45 minutes of relaxing time doing my makeup creatively, instead of slapping everything on in a rushed 20 minutes. 

๐Ÿ˜Ž Pack away duplicates, organize samples, and make my organizer tower more fun to access each day. Why do I need to keep all my back-ups in my main tower where they clutter everything up? They can live in clear bins in my closet until I need them. 

@PinkEvergreen I bought a nail drying spray called onyx nail dryer (from target or Walmart) and it cuts my drying time to like 10 minutes. It smells kinda of like a fruity coconuty tropical drink too 

@PinkEvergreen I hate waiting for my nails to dry as well, but a little patience really makes a difference! I like listening to music and catching up on BIC and the news while I wait. I use Seche Vite as well, and it makes a world of a difference. Not only does it dry your polish faster, but it makes it glossier and more resistant to chipping!

I also had issues getting used to a Beauty Blender, but I learned it depends on your foundation and skin type. If your foundation is on the thinner side, a brush is definitely better (i.e. MUFE Ultra HD, Nars Sheer Glow, etc...). And if it's on the thicker side or full coverage, a BB is much better. My thickest foundation is Too Faced Born this Way (not the thickest formula), and I like to use a flat foundation brush to paint it on, then use a BB to blend it out. This method is more tedious, but it gives me my ideal coverage and finish.

@Melissa136 Thanks for your input ๐Ÿ˜Š I think another thing that puts me off about using my Beauty Blender is having to clean it every day. I know it probably only adds an extra 2-5 minutes, but thatโ€™s a lot in the morning for me lol... I guess I could clean it in the evening before bed.

I clean my brushes regularly, but definitely donโ€™t feel the need to clean them every day, whereas Iโ€™ve read that itโ€™s essential to clean your BB every day. Iโ€™ve bought the Beauty Blender charcoal soap cleaner and Iโ€™m not a fan of that. It seems to leave a lot of residue. I assumed it would be the best option since itโ€™s sold by Beauty Blender, but Iโ€™m having doubts. 

09852F18-055F-48D4-8F3C-BDC21E883698.jpeg

i use the seche vite topcoat as well! i also try to do my nails when i plan on just lounging - watching tv, surfing the internet, etc. since i'm already planning on being lazy i find it easier to just sit and let my nails dry

I love how well thought out your resolutions are @PinkEvergreen! I have spoiled so many a manicure because I don't wait long enough. I use the Seche Nite top coat, its fast drying and definitely helps with shortening the wait time. I also tend to listen to music/podcast/Audiobook simultaneously. Hope you have a relaxing day off today!

@Aaliaa Manicure audiobooks are a great idea!

@Aaliaa Manicure audiobooks are a great idea!

RE: 2018 Resolutions: Makeup, Skincare and Haircare Edition

I want to only buy cruelty free brands. Iโ€™m pretty good at that with makeup, in 2017 I think I only purchased about 5 makeup items that were from a brand that tested on animals. BUT when it comes to hair care and skincare Iโ€™m not as aware what brands are actually cruelty free. I now have a little picture of lists saved in my phone of brands to choose from so I want to be super careful making my purchases this year!
Photos10
  • anigif_enhanced-9615-1417521769-9.gif
  • NY resolution tina fey.jpg
  • 11150206_10153997334238840_7423197495935150770_n.jpg
  • 11146267_10153997330033840_3585831608123696307_n.jpg
  • 11148721_10153997326898840_8680722449612985404_n.jpg
  • 09852F18-055F-48D4-8F3C-BDC21E883698.jpeg
  • 6FC405EF-5A34-4169-B0BE-E655260A44C3.jpeg
  • Samples sorted for donation to local women's shelter/dress-for-success program
  • PhotoGrid_1527984540654.png
testing