Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2017 Favorites: the Best of the Best!

I can't believe we're already at the end of the year! We've missed a couple months of favorites, but I wanted to round it all out to the best of the best for the year. What have you purchased or fell back in love with this year that ended up making the Best of the Best list?! 

Here are mine: 

Makeup: 

Pat McGrath Mothership II Sublime Palette: I have all three palettes and this is the warmest of the three. I love it for everyday and evenings out. The formula is really what attracts me to this one. I love it. 

Becca x Chrissy Tiegan Palette: This was my favorite thing this summer. The blush color is perfect and I enjoyed having Rose Gold and that Nectar highlight. I wasn't so big on the bronzer as I don't wear them, but it made a nice crease color. 

Tom Ford soliel Blush Duo - Paradise Lust: Another summer favorite. I traveled with this all summer and loved that I was so into both shades. It blends so well and gives a great glow! 

Tom Ford Lipstick- Night Mauve: This rosey/coral color is my jam. When I swatched this color, I knew it was totally me. I've been in love with Mr. Ford's lipsticks since getting my first which I think was Reckless. This is the perfect everyday color for me. 

Makeup FavoritesMakeup Favorites

Skincare: 

Uma Oils Clarifying Oil: Total game-changer for me. I just re-purchased bottle #3. This oil is amazing if anything weird is happening with my skin. It clears it up within 2 days. It's a total savior! 

Jordan Samuel Plie Cleanser (now known as After Show): I really like this for a first cleanse/makeup remover. I didn't think anything could beat my last cleanser but this stuff is amazing. It gets every little bit of makeup off and my skin feels so clean afterwards. The best part is the price: $20. 

Uma Oils Ultimate Brightening Mask: Talk about glow when you take this off. It lasts for days. I love this when I have an event I need to be glowy for, or if I'm feeling a little dull.

May Lindstrom The Youth Dew: I found this one last year, but it's the serum I keep coming back to for ultimate hydration and keeping my skin in check. It's expensive but I repurchase it every time. 

May Lindstrom The Blue Cocoon: Similiar to the Youth Dew, this is a HG for me. I finished my first one; it lasted about a year, so that totally justifies the price. It helps my perpetually dry/dehydrated skin. 

Trish McEvoy Retinol Eye Cream: Another HG that I've been using for years. Nothing compares, so I simply don't try. 🙂 The only thing that keeps me from having to use a color corrector under my eyes. I don't know what magic Trish is working with but I love this product.  

Skincare FavoritesSkincare Favorites

What are yours?!?!? 

Anonymous Insider

Re: RE: 2017 Favorites: the Best of the Best!

The Tarte palettes are nice, @kaaaylarr!

Re: 2017 Favorites: the Best of the Best!

My favorites this year (no pictures) are:

Tom Ford Honeymoon quad - I've been interested in this quad for some time.  Imagine my surprise when I received it gratis from Sephora a few months ago!  I absolutely love it!  I love how the colors make my blue eyes pop.

Too Faced Sweetie Pie bronzer - I also received this in the same gratis package from Sephora.  Because it's a bronzer, it wasn't on my radar.  I am so happy I received it.  I wear bronzers like blushes rather than the way you're supposed to wear bronzers.  This bronzer goes with practically everything!  This was a happy "accident."

Tatcha The Water Cream - I've been looking for a new moisturizer for quite a while.  After trying the deluxe sample (the one that came in the cute miniature jar), I had to buy the full size.  I think this is the first moisturizer I've ever finished!

Anonymous Insider

@Titian06, the miniature Tatcha Water Cream was soooo cute.  I came this close to buying it, but got distracted by the Tatcha sheet masks!  

Congrats on the TF Honeymoon Quad - so great that you received it gratis and that it's a "best of" for you!

So glad Honeymoon worked out for you! That's amazing! Even better that it was free! 😊

9C092E7E-B7D5-400A-9560-D914D6397A68.jpeg

Great thread @mrsbaine

MAKEUP FAVOURITES: 

Too Faced Just Peachy Mattes - I love these colours, how well they blend, and the smell. 

Too Faced Hangover Primer - this keeps my skin feeling moisturized all through the day, keeps my makeup from caking in my dry areas, and my makeup stays in place all day. 

Benefit Rollerlash Mascara - pulls and holds my lashes up and out giving them great volume! 

ABH Brow Wiz - it’s so easy to get great shaped brows with this retractable pencil/spoolie duo. 

Too Faced Shadow Primer - keeps my eyeshadow in place all day and stops it from creasing which is really important to me because I have hooded eyes and the crease IS REAL 😂 

Too Faced Born this Way Foundation - after trying multiple foundations I fell in love with the natural/radiant finish this gave me, akin with how well it sat on my skin. It’s easy to blend out and they have a decent amount of shade selection, Snow

is great for my fair skin. 

Too faced Melted matte in sell out is my go to colour because it looks great with so many eye looks and stays on pretty well throughout the day. 

Fenty Gloss bomb is a newer favourite but I use it so often I had to include it. It’s the perfect gloss, it doesn’t feel sticky or gross, has a delicious scent and the packaging is gorgeous. It also go on top of Mattes and lip pencils easily to add a nice glossy shine. 

Too Faced Ethereal setting powder is the bomb because it feels smooth, it isn’t drying, and I don’t get flashback. 

Urban Decay All Nighter setting spray - it mists in perfect, the smell isn’t strong or offensive and it does its job at keeping my makeup on and im place throughout the day. 

@bakeamuffin I have Too Faced Sell Out in that same mini size!!  I can't remember where I got it from, because I had it in my drawer for a few months, and then in September I pulled it to use and fell in love with it.  It's great because it's a nude so it goes with everything, but it's a dark enough nude that it actually enhances your lips rather than just looking like them.

Anonymous Insider

So many great "best of" picks, @bakeamuffin!

RE: Re: 2017 Favorites: the Best of the Best!

I think the Just Peachy Velvet Mattes palette is one of the most underrated releases of the year. When I’m not using Natasha Denona palettes, I’m using this one.

I keep wanting but talking myself out of Just Peachy Palette.  Ugh, I have no business buying another palette ever, but I want it! @bakeamuffin

It’s such a gorgeous palette @sister13, I love everything about it. You may need it 😂

Figured there’s no time like favourites to start posting in the new BIC community! ( took me way too long to get into the new BIC) Now for my ultimate 2017 favourites;

E2E92703-B41A-4C3C-BA0A-9A9B8B9AFF9C.jpeg

Skincare

Tatcha Camellia Cleansing Oil...

best first cleanse/ makeup remover. Makes my skin feel so soft, takes everything off, smells so comforting at the end of the day.

Drunk Elephant Lala Retro Whipped Cream...

at first try I thought this was sooo thick, but it really isn’t! Sinks right into skin and hydrates all day especially in a cold Canadian winter climate. Does not break me out or make me oily (I have breakout prone combo skin) 

DDG Ferulic+ Retinol Recovery Peel...

weekly retinol peel treatment. Keeps the breakouts away, my oil normal, brightens my past acne scars and has the anti aging benefits all in one. I’ve been using this ever Sunday since last January and it’s made such a noticeable difference.

Tatcha gold leaf lip balm...

this is my second pot! I finished an entire lip balm and liked it enough to repurchase! To me, that speaks volumes! A winter lifetime saviour and so luxe! I’m slasthering gold leaf on my lips and it doesn’t get better than that.

Makeup

Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer...

I use this everytime under foundation/ concealer. Smooths pores and keeps oil normal all day. This is the fourth time I’ve purchased this, can not quit it. I recommend the larger size squeeze bottle for convenience/ travel/ getting the last drop out of the tube.

Benefit Gimme Brow...

I stuck at brows but mine are naturally thick so just swiping this through sets them at a normal shape for the whole day. More than 30 seconds on my brows and I overthink them.

Tom Ford Eye Defining Pen...

The only liquid eyeliner I can use. It’s magic, thank you Mr. Tom. Glides easily with no tug, dispenses good amount of product, tip does not fray, and really does not dry out. I had my first one for 8 months and I know that’s not sanitary so I bought a new one, but it was still good as the day I bought it. 

Lancome Monsieur Big...

This is a newer product for me, but still my second small tube. I rotate through mascara samples and am never super impressed, I find something I don’t like about all of them. No complaints with this one. Thickening and lengthening with no smudging. I will purchase a full size when this sample is done.

Bite Liquefied Lip...

I have the set of 4 minis that was like 25$. These are so great! The set comes with two neutrals and two reds. Staying power on these is ridiculous, the colour will transfer to a cup/ glass/ food but won’t wear off from that, when it does wear off though it’s so even. Not a matte liquid lipstick, it’s more satin smooth and not drying whatsoever. I need more!!

I'm looking forward to trying the DDG ferric and retinol...

I'm looking forward to trying the DDG ferric and retinol peel! It's great to hear that you live it!
Anonymous Insider

@Haleyhale, the Bite Liquified Lipstick mini set is a great buy - I picked up a few to give as gifts!  

Anonymous Insider

the BITE liquified lip set is so cute; lucky gift recipients.

@Haleyhale  I LOVE that Tatcha Cleansing oil!!!!

@Haleyhale The Tom Ford Eye Defining pen is my secret love/can't believe I regularly drop this much money on an eyeliner pen 🙂 I left one behind once on vacation and there were some actual tears 😕

Yes! It’s actual tears worthy. That’s such a sad story 😭

RE: Re: 2017 Favorites: the Best of the Best!

Great thread @mrsbaine!

These are the Stand outs for me this year:

HUDA: I just fell in love with her eye palettes! I went to Sephora before the 20% off sale in November to look at the Rose Gold palette in person and they did not have it in stock, but they had Desert Dusk on display. It was so gorgeous that I ended up getting BOTH of them PLUS ElectricObsession! THe pigmentation is ahhmazing and effortless blending!

SUNDAY RILEY: HOLY GRAIL!!! Need I say more?? I went to Sephora to check out foundation and skincare for acne prone and oily skin because my skin was suddenly hating my old tried and true Korres. I tried the UFO in a 100 point perk and was so blown away that I bought Space Race. I used my Rouge December sale voucher to restock that because i REFUSE not to have it on hand. If OI see a breakout starting, I use the SATURN mask. Immediately after the mask it is visibly diminished and by the next morning, almost completely gone! My skin looks like it has been retextured. I cannot say enough good things about Sunday Riley!

LANCOME MONSIEUR BIG: This mascara had me eating my words. I gave it a lack luster review when I first tried it, But then I read in allure that the best way to use it is to apply 5 to 7 thin coats so I gave it another try. WOW!!!! IT was the first time my sister ASKED ME about what I was wearing: falsies or mascara?? I only wish it came in waterproof!

TOO FACED: Although I put the CLover palette up here, my first TF purchase this year was the PEaches and Cream palette. The smell! The colors! THe packaging! Oh MY!!!! I also LOVE the loose powder, lipstick and creamblush from this collection. THe Love Light highlighters are my GO TO for when I'm looking for \"YOu look like a goddess\" natural glow rather than holographic magic. Looking forward to their Festival Collection coming next year.

STILA: The liquid eyeshadows. I have them in every finish: shimmer, glitter and metallic duochrome. They are GORGEOUS and budgeproof once dry. NO glitter all over my face like a 12 year old--unless I want that!!!!

COLOURPOP: SO MUCH BANG for your buck there!!! Ijust LOVE the super shock shadows and the SHE palette. THe liquid lippes are great, too. Just discovered them this year and was blown away for the quality you get for the price!!!!

TARTE: I love their foundations and concealer!! I have fhe Clay Stick foundation ( current go to) and the loose mineral foundation as well as the Rainforest of the Sea  water foundation. Different ones for different weather./finishes and all wonderful!!!!

BITE: ( not pictured) Hands down my favourite lipstick brand. Great smell, great colors, great for your health and just plain luxe!!! Thinking of getting the matte crayon vault one holiday shopping is over!!!!! The only thing I didn't nail down this year was the waterproof mascara and eye primer. My go to eye primer used to be UD. I HATE the new formula. Hate it. IF anyone has ideas on that, let me know!!!!

Anonymous Insider

Re: RE: Re: 2017 Favorites: the Best of the Best!

That Too Faced Clover palette is adorbs, @mermadelove!

You had a good year!!! Nice! Glad you love the huda palette. 

That Monsieur Big is amazing, I love it and I am not easily convinced by new mascaras! @mermadelove

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos12
  • Makeup Favorites
  • Skincare Favorites
  • CF5187F5-E83E-4B56-99F8-878C98431E40.jpeg
  • Neutral Rose
  • Ruby
  • E2E92703-B41A-4C3C-BA0A-9A9B8B9AFF9C.jpeg
  • 9C092E7E-B7D5-400A-9560-D914D6397A68.jpeg
  • IMG_0397.JPG
  • chrissy.gif