Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Advisors

not happy with makeover at sephora

I feel bad even writing this...and I'm not trying to offend any of the girls that work for Sephora. I just want to know if anyone else has had a bad experience with a makeover at Sephora. I went there yesterday for foundation, concealer and blush. She offered to try some products on me. I don't know if it was her or the lighting, but the concealer she had used (becca creamy concealer) was SO ORANGE on my skin. I am super pale, and I don't know why she thought it looked good. Then she tried a MUFE concealer under my eyes, and it was ghostly and all you could see was my purple bags. Next we moved on to foundation, and she still couldn't get a color right. So now I am totally clues as to what skin tone/IQ I am :-( A little disappointing. Do you know if they take makeup training classes like MAC does, or is it just basic application? Thanks for any feedback.

Re: not happy with makeover at sephora

Hi RMOR86,

I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with the makeover you received at the Sephora store. 

As far as I know, all of the makeup artists who work at the store have to go through a training before they start performing makeup applications on clients. Was the lighting in the store off a little? I know how frustrating it is when a foundation is too dark on your skin. Smiley Sad Please let me know if you would like me to forward your feedback to our retail division. 

<3, Randee

I have rarely gotten a good makeover at Sephora or elsewhere.  Foundation or powder is always way to orange or dark.  I usually wear the lightest color or shade.  I think it's because the lighting is so different inside.  Went to return something yesterday and a young girl was getting a makeover and I could tell that it was way too dark! If it's a good makeover it seems like they apply to much product and it's caked on. 

Hi RMOR86, 

I'm sorry to hear this! The majority of our cast members DO need to attend specific Sephora training that covers skincare, makeup, fragrance and hair care ( I myself had to attend it as well for a weeklong course). Also, some may have more enhanced skills or overall familiarity than others do with products. 

I would always send my client outside with a mirror after doing a color match so they could see it in the natural light and how they liked how it would look-I was fortunate to be in a store that was on a busy street and not inside a mall with the synthetic lighting.  Color matching can be tricky if you are not so familiar. I suggest going back (maybe even to another location) to try out the Color IQ machine and find your direct color match. 

Like Randee suggested, we can gladly forward a store complaint over if you wish for us to do so!

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana

no need to put a complaint it, the girl was super nice and was really trying to help. it just didn't go well. but thank you!

I got bombarded at Sephora once by a woman desperately trying to get me to buy Dior products. I was in the chair having stuff put on  my face before I even knew what was happening. She threw about four thousand things on my face, the foundation and BB creme that she insisted were "perfect" made me look like an oompa loompa (it wasn't even oxidation, my friend standing there said it looked bad right off the bat), and there were brush streaks left all over my face. I left rather unhappy. 

Luckily, all my other experiences have been pleasant, and often quite helpful, it was just that one woman who was a dud.

Yeah... I think most of us have had bad experiences with "makeovers" at Sephora.  Personally, I've never had a good experience with a makeover at Sephora... but I think I've limited it to about 3 or 4 "makeover experiences" with Sephora in my over 15 years of shopping with them.  To be fair, I've only had 2 other makeovers outside of Sephora -- one was at MAC and the other was at Chanel.  The Chanel one was very good, and the MAC one was just ok.  I've had downright nasty makeovers w/ Sephora though.  I know it's hard to do makeup on other people, and most of the sales associates are not trained as makeup artists so they're in tough position.  I think the problem is compounded by the range of brands that are offered at Sephora.  Anyway, I think if you want a really good makeover you have to go to a department and go to a specific makeup counter.

Highlighted

I think that in most cases, nobody is going to apply makeup like we do to ourselves, so it tends to look heavier. I had this happen just last week at the "other"" place when picking a color of BM foundation. By the time she was done testing colors and then applying all over to blend, it had about 5 times more makeup on my face than I ever would have put on myself! Smiley Happy I never like how my stylist does my hair, either--the cut is fine, but she just doesn't do my hair like I do, and it doesn't look right.  OH well....

I know I got this makeover once, the eye look was nice and I use it regularly. But the foundation was just dreadful. My skin had been prepped and had been catered to my dry, dehydrated skin....or so I thought. They changed the skin care products on my face twice and even used a special product to make my skin look less dry with the makeup. I was mortified when I looked in the mirror at my house. My skin had never looked so dry before. I'm asking for medium coverage next time. And drinking more water now.  

Conversation Stats