Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Advisors

Toners, what is comparable to Clinique prices for a good toner...

Hi, Is Clinique's toners bad for the skin because they have alcohol in them?  Anyone know of a good toner that is not so pricey?  TY 4 your help!!  >'.'<

Re: Toners, what is comparable to Clinique prices for a good toner...

Toner isn't always bad just because it has alcohol, sometimes it carries other things that irritate your skin. But clinique is known for its gentleness on sensative skin, so if theres any brand that wouldnt irritate your skin it probably would be clinique. 

Personally i don't like the way the clinique one smells, so i got one from the drugstore from the brand called simple, and it does not have alcohol in it 

I like the Nars Toner personally.  Alcohol free plus non-irritating for sensitive skin.  Plus, it cleans really well.  It says to use two pumps but, I only use one and it does a good job.  Its actually one purchase that I will be rebuying here on Sephora.

The Origins A Perfect World toner is very hydrating and smells amazing.  When I used it it didn't irritate my skin at all.  It was too hydrating for my oily/combo skin though.  You just need to listen to your skin.  Sometimes the natural ingreidents can be more harsh and irritating on skin than alcohol.  Regualr witch hazel from the drugstore is a great option for toner that gives you that smooth refreshed feeling.  I used to use Revlon's toner but if you don't like that alcohol sting, that wouldn't be a good option for you.  I personally love that feeling ha. 

Highlighted

Hi michjkim, 

I like the recommendations provided to you already! I personally like toners with a slight bit of alcohol in them because I have an oily t zone and they really help to reduce the shine and chance of breakout from bacteria.

Another favorite of mine is the Lancome Tonique Douceur which is also alcohol free and very lightweight, refreshing. 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana

Hi Michjkim,

Just to add to the great suggestions that you have already. If you want to stick with the Clinique brand, they make a toner that is alcohol free.

<3 Melissa

I 2nd the origins perfect world toner. i have 3 that i alternate between and thats the only one without alcohol

The trick is to know which alcohols are good and which are bad. Ethanol, SD alcohol, alcohol denat, propanol, propyl alcohol, and isopropyl alcohol are all drying in excessive use.

Good alcohols are emollient and are known as fatty acids, which help keep skin's lipid barrier in check, these include lauryl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, myristyl alcohol, steraryl alcohol, cetearyl alcochol, propylene alcohol, butylene alcohol, and behenyl alcohol.

Which toner from Clinique are you trying to find an alternative for? Give us some specifics on what you're looking for out of a toner and we can better recommend one suited for your needs!

I'm a fan of the Body Shop's Vitamin C Energizing Facial Mist, it contains butylene glycol, which is a healthy alcohol that helps to keep moisture levels balanced in skin.

Caudalie's Beauty Elixir uses plant based alcohols which are naturally occurring and less likely to dry out skin.

Fresh's Rose Marigold Floral Water contains butylene glycol as well and uses soothing botanicals to nourish skin.

Boscia is a great and gentle line that is preservative free and uses butylene glycol and propylene glycol to keep skin moisturized. They offer a few variations.

I had no idea there was a difference in the types of alcohols! Thanks for posting this Lylysa, this is extremely helpful. Smiley Happy

Conversation Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 31 Hearts Given
  • 14 Contributors
Photos11
  • swfupload_4565998639168545768.jpg
  • swfupload_4153091436021022847.jpg
  • swfupload_8566723600036204945.jpg
  • swfupload_2340615999866202714.jpg
  • lotion clinique.jpg
  • swfupload_739762097081650480.jpg
  • swfupload_6774749380342830350.jpg