Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Advisors

Time Saving Tips?

I like putting on makeup and love how it makes me look afterwards obviously, but my limiting factor is time.  On workday mornings (mon.-fri.) I only have time for face wash, prescription acne treatment topical, serum/moisturizer, undereye cream, primer, foundation, concealer, & setting spray.  Luckily that only takes me about 20-30 min. which isn't too bad I suppose.  But if I ever want to do my full face (eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, eyebrows, lips, blush, etc.) that can take up to 2 hours.  So I'm curious to find out how long it takes all of you to put on makeup.  I'm a perfectionist and slow at doing things (not coordinated I suppose), which is a bad combo, because it takes me forever to get things done.  My boyfriend said he had an ex-girlfriend who could do her full face (heavy makeup, goth-like I think) AND hair and it would only take her about 20 minutes.  I couldn't believe that, but then again I'm often surprised at how quickly people can do things that take me forever.  If anyone has any time-saving tips, it would be much appreciated!

Re: Time Saving Tips?

I also like to wait for each layer to sink in.  While I'm waiting is when I'll be getting dressed, brushing teeth, etc.

Full everyday face only takes me 20 minutes at most, if I don't dally and get sidetracked.  Hair takes 15 minutes as I blow dry with a diffuser and let the rest air dry so I don't get frizzy.  My "night on the town" makeup usually takes me an hour (it's hair that puts me into the 2 hour range for a night out, depending on what I do.

I'm a former burlesque dancer so high glam makeup on a tight schedule is something I had to master.  While I take my time for a night out, it helped get my everyday routine down to a short time span.  I do shower in the morning, though that changes depending on my work day.

I was taking way too long getting ready in the morning and so I decided I needed to find a way to streamline what I was doing and still get the look I wanted. I am not a highly organized person by nature so I had to make some changes and stick to them.  The first thing I did was get all my cosmetics, skincare, tools,etc, organized and ready to grab.  I own many cosmetics and I now have them in a set of storage drawers organized by type.  I have a small container on my table top that has all the things I need to get my face done. When I am doing my evening skincare I put things in that box that I would like to use in the morning.   I have cups on my table that hold my eyeliners, tools, and brushes so I can easily find them.  I have a routine that I try not to deviate from. This keeps me focused.  I told my husband that he's not allowed to talk to me while I am getting ready unless it's truly important.  Getting sidetracked and distracted really eats up time. I generally don't try any new techniques or colors for the first time when I have to get out the door.  Those are things for the weekend or in the evening when I just want to play.  I can take a shower, do my skincare and complete makeup, style my hair and get dressed in 40-45 minutes.  If I have to rush out the door for whatever reason I have ways to make that shorter.  Trying to be organized and focused is the key.  So far, this seems to be working for me.

Highlighted

Though I know this thread has covered mainly make up and even going in depth in terms of looking at things from a perspective of "making time" as opposed to just "finding time", yesterday after getting home from work I washed off my make up and put on a face mask. I then proceeded to cook and while I was boiling the pasta and stirring it, I let my face have a few short moments over the steam from the pot. I figured I would share this small tidbit because it's an added way to still multi-task and work efficiently (skin care/pampering while cooking) and the steam from the pot helps to open up pores and really let the face mask sink in better and nurture my skin. Smiley Happy

I steam my face like that all the time! Then run to the bathroom real quick to apply a mask. 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats