Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Advisors

RANT: MAKE-UP THAT HAS BEEN OPENED, TOUCHED AND TRIED ON!

I do a lot of shopping at Sephora.com but when it comes to buying a new shade of something like lipstick, I definitely like to go into the store. In the past year or so I have had to return a few items that I have purchased because when I got home I found that it had been opened and obviously touched or tried on. Of course this really makes me angry because

A) There is a tester available on the floor and

B) I then have to go back to the mall and return it for one that has not been molested.

What makes matters worse is the fact that today I asked the sales associate who rang me up to please open up the lipstick so I could see what condition it was in. She pointed to the long line and told me that she had no time for that and it was against store policy. REALLY? I was in a huge rush so I didn't make a fuss and went home. WELL, my new lipstick from Bite Beauty (Pomegranate) was not shiny and pristine. Someone had definitely touched it. There was even a small smudge of the color on the inside tube. I am kicking myself for not checking it in the car. I wish the items were shrink wrapped so that they can't be tampered with. I am so tired of people being so self centered and inconsiderate that they feel they can open up things like lipstick and nail polish (not the tester) and just try them on.  I don't even what to consider the idea  that these are products that have been returned and then put back out on the floor.

Have any of you had a similar experience or am I the sole collector of messed up make-up??

Re: RANT: MAKE-UP THAT HAS BEEN OPENED, TOUCHED AND TRIED ON!

I haven't had the experience at Sephora but I did have it at Dillard's before when I had purchased blush and eye shawdows that has obviously been opened and used and then put back in stock. That's a big NO NO with me.

I was at Sephora earlier this year and I saw a woman who I had just seen being generally confused about makeup in the MAC store stick her fingers in every one of the Benefit boxed powder testers. I regret that I didn't mention this to someone working there because it was super unhygienic. 

@Sweetfirefly- Ewwww!

When I go to sephora I usually swatch the testers before i buy the actual product.  Make sure you get them in the back, not the front ones. 

I ordered the Naked palette online, turns out five colors were swatches (eww I hope they were clean fingers) and brought it back for a switch. it was super easy and I just walked out with a new palette. I love that they didn't give me a hard time or questioned me. If they did I would've been pissed off. 

Highlighted

I bought a too-faced candlelight illuminater, and I noticed that the box had a rip, and the product was obviously tampered with. The sephora rep acted as though she didn't believe me. She was like" Its ok - we'll still let you return it even if you did use it a couple of times." I guess it is nice that they have that policy, but by principle, I would never buy something and return it used, so I felt embarrassed for someone else's rudeness which turned out to be a pain in the butt for me.

Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 24 Hearts Given
  • 14 Contributors