Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Advisors

Overpriced.

Why is everything in Sephora SO extremely overpriced? A small compact to go concealer is $49, its NOT worth it. I find myself buying most things there and returning it, because I cant afford it sometimes. Not everyone is a millionaire.

Re: Overpriced.

Sephora doesn't charge any more for the brand name items they carry than any other department or specialty store does.

Sephora only sets the price for the Sephora Collection products, which are among the lower priced products in the store.

They don't set the price for anything else- your complaints are really with Dior, NARS, Guerlain, etc.

If you're looking for lower priced items, I highly recommend asking specific questions on the board.  We're usually pretty good about suggesting products that cover a variety of price points.

I agree, I'm finding there are some awesomely beauty-saavy and friendly people on here who are very helpful. 

Also don't forget that you're paying for quality! Most (if not all) product lines that Sephora sells are higher-end lines, and while that means that yes, they will be more expensive- a little goes a loooong way and they will make you look and feel fabulous! Not only has my skin greatly improved since using skincare items sold at Sephora, but I feel better using them too.  

What concealer is $49?! The Sephora line of make-ups is more affordable. 

Sephora carries products at multiple price points. Part of the fun is finding a product you love at a price point you are comfortable with. The SAs in stores can give you a sample of almost everything. What they cannot, you can swatch.

While I can empathize with your sticker shock, to be honest Sephora carries a lot of items that are very reasonably priced, like drugstore pricing, either from the in-house brand or sale items that have been drastically reduced. Sure, if your only impetus for buying some from Yves Saint Laurent or Marc Jacobs is to buy into the braNd and the associated prestige, then be prepared to pay name brand prices. It is unfair to target Sephora unless you also condemn Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, Macy's, and Saks Fifth Avenue In the same breath. If someone can only afford to purchase goods that are not prestige brands and from stores that are not prestige stores that person can still save up and buy more expensive goods when it is feasible.

Once upon a time I didn't even know Sephora existed (yikes!) but thankfully I am gainfully employed, I have my savings, and I can afford to treat myself to more premiere goods when good sales come around. Now, will I skip paying my mortgage just to buy the latest offerings by Givenchy or Lancome? Nope, but you bet your sweet bippy that I tell everybody who asks that I only want  Sephora gift cards and eventually the things I really want will be mine.

Delayed gratification is a tough thing to get used to, but trust me, you can adjust your point of view from resentment towards the perceived injustice that others can readily buy something that is not currently in your budget to an  aspiration to work hard and save up so that you can indulge yourself when the time is right.

I honestly don't find that Sephora is overpriced.  Yes they do carry some brands that are more expensive but they also carry some brands at a good price point for the quality you are getting.  It's a good variety and you need to remember that some people are willing to spend more for quality.  I find there's something for everyone.

You're totally right, not everyone is a millionaire!  Sephora sells luxury cosmetics - I mean, cosmetics in and of themselves are all kind of a luxury anyway!  We don't actually NEED makeup (as much as it may seem like we do, at least for some of us LOL) so even inexpensive drugstore cosmetics are technically luxury!  As with all things in life, there's a range of items available in different price points.  Think about it for a minute, it's not like this is a concept that only applies to cosmetics.  There are cheap cars, mid priced cars, expensive cars, and super luxury cars.  There are cheap apartments, small mid priced homes, and mansions.  There are cheap shoes, mid priced shoes, expensive shoes, and everything in between.

Life is full of options, and one of the best things about Sephora is how many choices you can find that cater to a number of price points.  AND of course, the fact that you have the OPTION of returning anything and everything you buy from Sephora for whatever reason you want - so let's not randomly blame Sephora for being expensive.  Sephora is part of the marketplace, part of the consumer atmosphere in which there are tiers of products according to multiple budgets, none of which may perfectly suit your particular budget.  But Sephora isn't the REASON there are expensive items.  Let's be reasonable here!

well said! Smiley Wink

Wonderfully put. And Sephora is one of the few retailers who sell these products with a discount for everyone at least once a year as long as you're a Beauty Insider (and being one is free and gets you a birthday present). And sometimes things are even more enjoyable to use when you save for them and really know you want them. 

But I agree, if you let people know what you are looking for they can suggest something in your price range either in Sephora or elsewhere that can still provide good quality. 

I have found, that if you price shop, sephora's prices for specific items are comprable to any other beauty store.  Now, with that being said, they do carry some high end products.  As others have stated below, you just aren't going to get Givenchy, Nars, Dior, Marc Jacobs, Urban Decay, etc products for cheap.  And there are many cheaper alternatives out there. (Search internet for "Dupes" of whatever your favorites are).  Sephora brand itself is reasonable.  Plus I would suggest browsing the sale section.  Expensive makeup is a luxury item, definitely not a necessity. However, some of us here enjoy the occasional splurge and find it worth it.  We are also happy to help you find a more reasonable alternative!!!!

I'm going to have to just say something here. $49 is expensive BUT you can't expect drugstore prices at Sephora. The quality of the cosmetics are way better than drugstore. You pay for quality. Plus there are plenty of concealers that are less expensive at sephora (wasn't there just a sephora concealer in the sale section for $7 for like weeks?). 

Sephora isn't really overpriced. In the same way you can get Walmart clothing, brand name clothing or designer, you can get different levels of cosmetics. I think Sephora actually has a good range of products from those that are priced equivalently to the more expensive drugstore products all the way to luxury products. And yes, these are luxury products. If you find these price of $49 for a concealer too much (which I also do), don't get it. You can find very good concealer for have that price (which Sephora carries) or even at a tenth of that price (at the drugstore). 

Also Sephora doesn't set the prices (except for their own brand). Their prices are no different than you can find elsewhere, like Department stores.

I feel the need to add that Sephora offers perks with beauty points and promo codes with your purchase. Not many other companies do this, and that is why I shop here. So yes- $49 for a travel sized *edit: concealer* may be expensive, (and I would probably never purchase something like this) but use a Blitz promo code, choose your 3 free samples and maybe add a 100 pt perk to your order and BAM! You've just turned a travel foundation into a box FILLED with goodies.

Not everyone is a millionaire, you are absolutely right. Where we will disagree on though, is saying Sephora is overpriced. You get what you pay for. Name brands are expensive because of the name yes, but also because of the quality of the products. You get what you pay for. There are plenty of drug store alternatives for everything at Sephora.

Foundation? L'Oreal instead of Urban Decay. Eyeshadow? NYX instead of Lorac. Primer? Hard Candy over Too Faced. But the quality of the products is vastly different. My eyeshadow won't crease and stays on all night with TF primer. My Lorac Shadows have less fallout and are less chalky then NYX. I haven't tried L'Oreal foundation, but I do know that their other face products have a tendency to break me out. 

Same can be said with clothing, shoes, cars, etc. There's high end, and then there's low end. There's Walmart and then there's Juicy Couture. What matters though, is what you decide to spend. You can spend the $7 on NYX eyeshadow, or the $42 on the Lorac Pro Palette. It's all about what you want to do and spent. I'm a college student who goes to school full time and works part time. Money is not something frequently in my pocket. But I budget out because I know  like some high end products over drug store. So if I have the money and I can afford it, I buy it. If I don't, I don't. But there's not use for me complaining that it''s expensive when there are other options out there I can take. 

Woah comment twin, that's super weird

I have to agree with everyone else. If you go on Dior, Bobbi Brown, Clarins, First Aid Beauty, Urban Decay... brand websites, then you will see that Sephora's prices & their prices match up exactly. Same goes for department store prices that sell the same exact items. 

Do you complain that a Burberry trench coat is too expensive for you? Maybe you do, but they won't drop the price for you. 

If you want makeup at drugstore prices, you're going to have to shop at a drugstore. 

You should NEVER purchase something that is out of your budget! Credit Card debit is serious and can ruin your life. Please make wise decisions when it comes to your purchases. 

Sephora is not SO extremely overpriced. Is it more expensive? Yes. BUT, you are paying for quality. The products generally look and feel much better, then a drugstore item for instance. A way of approaching might be, you purchase less in quantity, but you receive more in quality. And, i'm confused as to how repeatedly buying things there and then returning them because it's unaffordable sometimes, makes any sense? If you want to stick to high-end products, set a budget for yourself - find ways to tuck a little money away, and then go in and get that high-end item that you wanted. Remember, you only live once. Gotta make the most of it and enjoy it to the fullest! *even if that means saving for a bit to splurge on something for yourself* Smiley Happy

Or just sell unwanted items on Kijiji to make extra cash. lol Smiley Very Happy

lol Smiley Happy 

Like everyone has already said, it isn't really that Sephora is overpriced. You can maybe argue that cosmetics as a whole can be overpriced but you can't say that Sephora itself is overpriced. Sephora isn't a drugstore, it's not Walmart/Target/CVS, etc. It's not meant to be a place you go to to spend $10 on a foundation which is what Revlon goes for these days in the drugstore. If you want something made of better quality or in a shade that'll match your skintone, you go to Sephora and you know you'll be spending a certain amount there.

Can I also just say, if you do think it's overpriced, which is a very understandable thing to think, please do not purchase an item with the knowledge that you'll definitely be returning it because it's too much. I definitely get that it's out of budget and that for a lot of people, a $40+ foundation or eyeshadow palette is too much of a cost but by returning the item, you're not doing anything more than wasting it. It won't be re-sold or re-used in any way and will be returned to the manufacturer to be disposed of. 

It sounds harsh to say this but if you can't afford it, most definitely do not buy it. I'm not a millionaire and I'm in quite a bit of debt due to my university costs so I won't go around spending a few hundred on things I cannot afford. I buy what I can! It's also about budgeting. There are some BTers, myself included, who save up especially for the 20% off sales and buy only what we really want to. I would rather buy one quality item than three that won't work the way I want it to. 

I completely agree with 'one quality item over several that don't work'. 

I also realized that nickel and dime drugstore purchases can also add up to a fair bit. I bought my things at the Sephora sale after a drugstore no-buy and actually saved money in the end. 

Definitely! I tried out a few foundations from the drugstore and they simply didn't work out quite the way I wanted them to. I own quite a few drugstore lipsticks (Revlon) that I love but I also own a few mid-level ones, like MAC, that broke me out terribly. I had a horrible allergic reaction to lanolin which is in about 95% of all MAC lipsticks and had to throw away all the ones I owned. Sometimes, it really does matter the ingredients in them if you have something you're allergic to. 

I think it's spending wisely that's the most important. 

76 Replies
Conversation Stats