Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Advisors

Makeup Ideas For Meeting The Boyfriend's Parents ?

Hey everyone,

So I will be leaving Toronto in 4 weeks to go visit my boyfriend who lives in Dayton, Ohio. We will be seeing his parents for a nice dinner. Now I haven't met his mother yet but I have met his father. I would like to look polished and sophisticated when I see his parents. I always like to make a good impression. So  I was wondering if you ladies have any ideas or pictures of some great makeup looks I could consider when I am down there ?. I already told him to book an appointment with the Sephora near him so I could do a makeover the day of. I'm also planning to get my hair cut and styled as well. 

Thanks for your advice and tips ladies !.

Always appreciated :-)

~ Carmen ~

Re: Makeup Ideas For Meeting The Boyfriend's Parents ?

Hey Lylysa,

His mom is the type that's more on the go and active and loves good conversation and good glass of wine also is very natural. His father is very laid back and mellow. 

I believe that I can take both looks and combine them into 1 very elegant look. I do agree with red lipstick. I don't want to have the dreaded lipstick on the chin. I've been there before it's very difficult and actually embarrasing for me. Seeing I take pride in my makeup I want to showcase my ability to beautify myself without having my lipstick go all over my face due to transfer. So a subtle lipstick is definitely a great option. 

I believe red lipstick is very classic and can often come off as very high maintenance. I think I do well pulling off a red lip but I do agree though it'll likely be too IN YOUR FACE or BOLD for seeing his parents. I don't want to look like a movie star lol. 

I really admire your POV on the topic of red lips. I never seen it quite the way you do before. It's great to really understand how something like a red lip can totally change the way you come off to someone. 

I've seen many photos of his mom on my facebook page. She's a very down to earth woman. 

The makeup she wears isn't really over dramatic at all. 

I think that I will go very neutral in the end though. Save my bold red lip look for another time :-)

Thanks so much for you informative and detailed post !

~ Carmen ~

My pleasure, Carmen!

It's crazy how a small detail like lip color of even the look of eye shadow can affect an impression. When I worked retail it was something I noticed greatly. My overall and constant goal was always great customer service and offering as much help as possible, but I would have days where I'm wearing loud, bold colorful eyes, some days where I was very subdued and natural, and some where I went more classic with the eyes but sported a bold magenta or red on lips and customers would really react differently with their approach.

Some folks didn't make any gesture or comment, while some would instantly be exclaim, "Oh, I don't want/need to look like you!" even before telling me what they wanted to go for. Sometimes older clients would give negative or callous reactions if my make up was louder, but sometimes they enjoyed the fun and difference in it. Same goes with the younger crowd, some would be put off when I had a natural face because they thought I would make them look older or "less fun". 

Best of luck at dinner and I hope you get along smashingly with his parents! Smiley Happy

I think you should go this route. Bold, but neutral. Let them warm up to you and them hit 'em with the good stuff  on a later visitSmiley Happy

Nothing like focusing on giving an even and flawless complexion and letting color items like blush, shadow, and lips just "enhance" what you have to work with already!

It's the "clean" slate approach and lets someone take all of your features in without focusing too much or solely on one part!

Some good advice here, and just to echo the best of what's already been said: I say soft and natural and NOT overdone!  Not TOO much smokey eye.  

I would be nervous to have my make up done by someone I've never met before an important event; then again, it would be fun if this ups your confidence level.

Definitely be yourself and let your personality shine; they should remember an awesome person, not some distractingly heavy make up.  

I'm a little conservative in that regard though -- if intense make up really is your thing (it's not mine), then go for that and be yourself! lol

Hey Nicrohr,

I definitely love the ideas/advice/tips I have recieved. I definitely want to be natural and not too overdone. A nice subtle smokey look is ideal for this dinner. 

I'm nervous only because I tend to be a bit picky with how I want to look. It's easy for me to envision how I see myself but harder to achieve it sometimes. However I trust that they can get the look I want spot on without looking to dramatic. 

It's definitely fun because I get to feel pampered and not have to feel rushed or nervous doing it myself. Usually in situations like this I would be so fearful of making a mistake and having to start over lol. 

I believe that intense makeup for me would only work if it was a different event/venue I was going to with him. Seeing his parents I want to look sophisticated without looking gaudy. 

These are all really great suggestions!! Smiley Happy -Laura

I agree Laura :-). Lots of spectacular ideas to consider !

Highlighted

Thats very exciting!! I would just suggest a fresh not over-done look. NOTHING really bright or smokey Smiley Happy...and NO RED LIPSTICK  lol!

Conversation Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 24 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
Photos2
  • tumblr_mcydm3qayd1qidrf1o1_500.jpg
  • swfupload_3241294765812058262.jpg