Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Advisors

Help finding good eye brushes?

I have a few brushes but find I am short a good domed eye shadow brush and crease brush. I have sets from Bare Minerals, Smashbox, Eco Tools and Laura Mercier. They all do ok but I love how soft the Laura Mercier brushes feel and find this works well for blending, just that the ones I have are a bit big.

I am open to suggestions/input. I did do searches on the board before posting and know brushes have been discussed quite a bit, but I had a hard time narrowing down to the couple I need.

Also, I've been using the Bare Minerals brush cleaner but have heard some people use olive oil (did I dream that? Lol).  Guidance on how best to take care of my brushes appreciated too!

Here's a link to my brushes:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/280097/image-id/58157i713DF50582BF908E

Re: Help finding good eye brushes?

Natural hair brushes can get scratchy over time, just like our hair, so a bit of olive oil will condition it and make it softer again. The silver hello kitty set on sale right now is small/med, compare to my Sephora brushes at least. Also, have you tried the set from Too Faced?

I have not seen the hello kitty set nor have I looked at Too Faced, I will check out both right now, thanks! Smiley Happy And thanks for the info on using oil. 

I'm not sure if you checked this out, yet, but Charlotte Ronson has a small brush set on sale right now at Sephora. I got this set a couple months ago and I have loved it! It comes with a blush brush, as well as four eye brushes and a lovely brush roll. 

It looks like it has a couple brushes that you may not already have- including their "blender" brush which is a lifesaver. I've had them for a couple months and I haven't noticed any shedding, which is great for such an inexpensive set. 

Oooooooo nice set! And I really appreciate your feedback on how it's worked for you, that's super helpful! Smiley Happy thank you!!

look up some of Kiki's posts - she is a brush hoarding aficionado!

i think the mac 217 is fantastic for the crease as well as for blending. it can be a bit big though if you are looking for more precision. i like the new wayne goss brushes for a smaller crease brush. if you want to go super high end, the suqqu brushes are really nice but hard to find.

I've gone through so many different affordable brands and they never live up to my MAC brushes as far as EYE brushes go. Sedona Lace is a good alternative if you can't invest. MAC has some really good sets out right now. Most brush sets they put out are not great quality, but these Stroke of Midnight sets seem pretty decent. I purchased the Mineralize set yesterday and love it! The mua recommended using the 159 blush brush for foundation and it was flawless! But anyway, they have two other sets that have eye brushes in them for $49.50 and the clutches are amazing, I will not be surprised if I go pick up a different set within the week.

Kiki, I heard you are The Brush Master Smiley Happy , I really appreciate your advice!  I have a local MAC, I will have to start a brush collection. Smiley Happy

Syd i told you the brush master is Kiki and she is personally helping you - she is so special and so are you Smiley Happy

Kiki Kiki she is swell

let's give Kiki a great big yell

yay Kiki - rah Kiki

yay rah Kiki!!!

brat have you been drinkin' lol Smiley Very Happy

Hmmm I want some of whatever it is hehe! I swear I'm always smiling through the screen though @spoiledbrat!

Ok you guys were cracking me up last night, lol! I was too tired to post anything but late into the night, in the glow of my tablet screen, I would burst into giggles. Smiley Happy

Brat, didnt know you were a poet! Smiley Wink

I have pretty much all MAC brushes and love them.  Some are 10 years + and still look great!  I prefer not getting them in sets because I think in the sets they are shorter.  I like having long handles on my brushes.

Me too! They showed me some sets the last time I was picking up a few brushes and I'm like no. I couldn't resist the duo fiber set though just because I don't have any similar ones. I have the Real Techniques duo fiber set but they're completely different. I really wish MAC would put together at least one long-handled set. I have big hands, I prefer big brushes Smiley Very Happy

Yeah would be nice!  I guess they make them for travel.

it's those "happy pills" i am so fond of; thanks Doc Smiley Wink  actually i rarely drink, but i do like a nice cocktail from time to time and Tito's goes with everything! A little Tito's and Jack Rudy over ice - yum!

lol.  I love my white russians Smiley Wink

Like Kiki, I have tried LOTS of brushes and most of my favorite eye brushes are MAC. I would steer clear of the holiday sets though - I find natural hair brushes to be the best, and the holiday sets use synthetic bristles instead. Hakuhodo is also great and softer than MAC, but unless you live in California, you would have to order them blind. Two of my Hakuhodo eye brushes are from when I was searching for eye brushes smaller than what was typically available for creasework. I ended up ordering the S142 for blending and a pencil brush that is much longer and fuller than the MAC 219. I really love them!

Highlighted

That's what I was wondering. Everyone keeps raving about Hakuhodo, but their website is so overwhelming. There are hundreds of brushes and I just wish I could see in person.

Hi Kiki1517,

I recommend you look at some by Bobbi Brown (great long handles for more precision and control) and even our Sephora Pro collection- I have both and even though I wash mine a lot, they are still in great shape and are very soft on the eyes:

Eye Blender Brush Eye Sweep Brush

http://www.sephora.com/bobbi-brown?brandName=bobbi-brown&node=1050102

Sephora Collection

SEPHORA COLLECTION - Smoke Machine Smokey Eye Brush Set SEPHORA COLLECTION - Deluxe Antibacterial Brush Set

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana

Ooooh everyone should go check out Temptalia's most recent post and she breaks down all the eyebrushes! Guess who's Hakuhodo cart is being filled up? Smiley Wink

honestly sephora pro collection is my favorite! I find they are high quality. when looking at mac's I didnt find them to be very durable and I didn't like the feel of the handles. Also I found the brushes to not have the density I would like, they ran more on the thinner side. Sephora's fits comfortably in my hand and feels sturdy. I tend to buy them one at a time. However there is some selected already in a set available if you got 275 handy. lol we should be having that 20% or 15% coupon coming to us vib's soon though. Something to keep in mind.

http://www.sephora.com/deluxe-standing-easel-brush-set-P377910?skuId=1489665

Working at sephora and in the cosmetic section of macy's I had the fortune to try out lots of different brushes. I have had everything in brushes from ecotools, tarte, bare minerals, kirkland brand (costco), lancome, sephora, clinique, urban decay, and probably another one or two I can't remember. the sephora brushes I reach for each time.

I would not clean your brushes with olive oil! I would be so afraid that the oil wouldn't get all the way out and mess up my make up (oil is a great makeup remover, like its all I use to remove makeup). Instead I use Parian Spirit brush cleaner. Not from Sephora but I love it and it smells great, not to mention it makes brush cleaning a breeze.

But for brushes themselves I use Sigma and Coastal Scents. Both are online brands, Sigma is better, but more expensive. Coastal Scents is good, but cheap. I just bought MAC brushes for the first time and just...wow. So smooth and wonderful. @_@ I want to try Bobbi Brown brushes though.

I agree, I tried the olive oil and Dawn dishsoap before and it's just a mess, you have to be uber careful not to get too much oil on the brushes, it was a nightmare. I've been cleaning mine with Sephora brand purifying face cleanser and when there's alot of buildup (mostly foundation brushes) I put a dab of dawn dishsoap. This method has been working the best for me.

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos6
  • MAC-Stroke-of-Midnight-Mineralize-Brush-Set.jpg
  • MAC-Stroke-of-Midnight-Essentials-Brush-Set.jpg
  • MAC-Stroke-of-Midnight-Smoky-Eye-Brush-Set.jpg
  • s1489665-main-hero.jpg
  • kit1.jpg
  • ickies.JPG