Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Advisors

Hakuhodo Brush Users!

Hi,

I bought some Hakuhodo eye brushes after seeing Temptalia reviews raving about them as well as some recommendations on here. 

I want to buy a brush for highlighting above my cheekbones with Nars Albatross. I was thinking of getting the J4004 based upon a Temptalia review. Has anyone used that or can anyone recommend a better brush for that purpose from Hakuhodo?

I also want to buy a concealer brush from them but there are so many choices making it difficult. Does anyone have recommendations for that?

I would appreciate it! I want to place my order soon. My old brushes are no longer pleasing me. 

Re: Hakuhodo Brush Users!

I'm not into fan brushes, but i use the WG #2 brush for highlighting

Thanks, I will keep that in mind if the J4004 doesn't work out. 

Hi,

Just wanted to add my five cents Smiley Happy

Recently I've bought few Hakuhodo brushes: K007 for eyeliner, G545 for liquid foundation and concealing large areas and J242G for concealer/cream eyeshadow. I love all of them, they are definitely the softest best quality brushes I've ever owned.

I also have Wayne Goss brush #2 and love it too. It's a great multitasker - I use it for blush, contouring and even powder (I have small face though). The brush's look and feel is very similar to Hakuhodo ones, it is quite possible that's where Wayne manufactures his brushes.

When buying Hakuhodo brushes I was browsing different beauty blogs and the best one I've found was sweetmakeuptemptations created by Sonia. She has great collection of brushes (not only Hakuhodo ones) and her reviews are very detailed and helpful. She's very sweet and knowledgable too, people ask her questions about brushes all the time, and she tries to help everyone.

The biggest disadvantage with Buying Hakuhodo brushes is that you can't see them before buying. So what I did when choosing brushes was taking brush size from their web site and drawing the whole brush on paper. This way I could put the brushes I already have next to it and get better idea of its size.

Hakuhodo customer service is great too, they respond quickly and really know their brushes, their answers are really helpful and informative

Hello, thank you. I just looked up the J242G and now I am thinking of getting that one. So many choices!!! Are you able to blend with that? If not then I will get that plus J124R or BJ125R along with it. 

And, yeah, I have a few eye brushes, they are really soft. I will slowly upgrade my other brushes to Hakuhodo, too. Smiley Very Happy

And, yeah, you might be right cause Hakuhodo manafactures for other companies.  I will look up sweetmakeuptemptations as well.

Their customer service is great, they recommended a few for me. Smiley Happy 

J242G is a little bit longer(I mean the actual hair, not handle) more narrow and thinner than MAC 239, this would be the easiest way to compare. I actually tried to use it with Studio Finish concealer and quite like it, but since it can perform only minimal blending (it's not really fluffy), you have to take tiniest amount of concealer, distribute it and then apply some more as required. You can't pile up concealer and then try to blend it out with this brush.

With that being said, this brush is great for applying concealer for relatively small zones. I have thin skin and sides of my noses near the eyes can get dark blue, it's like weird extension of under eye circles, and this brush is perfect for that hard to reach area. I also love it for eyeshadow base (I use MAC Paint Pot), and it works great for powder eyeshadows as well.

If you prefer fluffier brush (which would be great with Studio Finish Concealer and definitely will be perfect for blending), you might want to check out J5523, it can be used with creams as well. It is similar to MAC 217, but a little bit thinner. I'm planning to buy it in future, since I've recently bought Sephora #57 brush for that purpose (good brush, but I wish it was a little smaller).

I wish I knew about Hakuhodo brushes sooner, I've bought quite a few expensive brushes and unfortunately some of them are definitely not worth the money when compared to Hakuhodo

Regarding deciding what to get - don't do impulse buys, you can end up with too many brushes Smiley Happy Write down all the brushes you are interested in, and forget about them for a week. Then look through the list again and see if you really need them all, most of the times it works really well for me Smiley Happy

Ohhh, ok. I actually plan on buying MAC 239 in the future to pack on eyeshadow base colors, etc. And, I am going to be using it in a small area-just like 3-4 small acne hyperpigmentations.

And, as for the J5523. I already have that. I use it for eyeshadow blending and it works really well for that purpose! But, I prefer a duo fibre or synthetic fibre brush for concealer.

And, omogosh, I totally agree with you about knowing about Hakuhodo earlier! I have an expensive powder brush and blush brush and after I found out about Hakuhodo. I felt as if I was ripped off because they definitely aren’t as soft which is very important to me. And, I don’t want to just upgrade right away. So, I plan to use those until they actually wear out and then treat myself to Hakuhodo brushes. But, at least we know now. Smiley Happy

Forgetting about stuff for a week is a good idea. But, I’ve actually been looking to get a concealer brush for a few weeks now. I am going to analyze my choices now and then decide because I could really use one. 

For duo fibre take a look at J214R and J122R, I don't have them but I've heard great things about them and plan to buy one of those in future too Smiley Happy I've also PMed you some posts about brushes

I just looked through my notes, and I was actually thinking of buying either J122R or its smaller sister J125R for concealer, they are supposed to be great with creams, sorry about confusion

I just placed an order! Smiley Happy

I will check out your message right now though.

And, ohhh, I was actually recommended those 2, the G358 (I think those were the numbers) or the J214R by a Hakuhodo representative.

It took me awhile to decide but I actually picked the J214R. If that doesn't work for some reason then I will consider the J125R. 

P.S. I have a question!

You said that J242G is similar to MAC 239. I mentioned that I plan to buy MAC 239 in the future. But, since you have it-do you think it is comparable to MAC 239 in a better way or would you stick with MAC 239?

As I mentioned before, Hakudodo J242G is slightly longer and more narrow than MAC 239. MAC 239 is a great brush, but I find that J242G is a better one for me since I have smaller eyes. For closer dupe, take a look at J004G, it is almost like a twin for MAC 239 and costs only $20. Here's a photo from sweetmakeuptemptation blog where you can see and compare all 3 brushes.

Thank you so much!!! 

That picture was SUPER helpful. Smiley Happy

I think I will go with the Hakuhodo dupe because Hakuhodo brushes tend to be softer from my experience. And, it really is almost identical. Plus like you said, it's only $20.

=)

Too many decisions!

Agreed!

I was recently in japan for a short vacation and got to visit a Hakuhodo counter in Tokyo (sadly, it wasn't the one that carried all of their brushes, nor could I communicate in Japanese with the lovely sales assistant). Nonetheless, I got to touch and feel so many brushes which was exciting. In the end, due to my limited budget, I walked away with 3 brushes. 

I was looking for a small face brush at the time, one to use for highlighting, precision powdering or as a small blush brush. I did A LOT of research before I went (so many choices!), and I decided on B5521 for this purpose. It's the same as the G5521 others have recommended previously, and there really is a reason for the multiple recommendations! One of the things I liked it about it is that it's a blend of goat and blue squirrel hair, but at $35, it's still quite affordable. With squirrel hair blended in, it provides a light application. Comparing to the other brushes I bought that day, which were all goat hair, this one is noticeably softer; and comparing to the other brushes more commonly seen in the western market, I find it more unique.  

Have fun brush shopping! I know I did Smiley Wink

Thanks! It must have been so cool to go to Japan! I already went ahead and placed an order. I got the J4004 fan brush. I will look at the one you and others recommended if it doesn't work out for some reason though.

Smiley Happy

opinionatedjenn, because I was looking through the brushes to help you decide, of course that meant that I had to actually buy some after all that leg work. Smiley Wink I couldn't decide so ordered both the J125R and the J214R. Not to mention, I received my Le Metier de Beaute Large Concealer Brush, which I plan to use for initial application. So I think I'll be set for concealer brushes! I do know from experience that if one of the brushes don't work out, that they can always be used for something else. I have several brushes that I set aside because they didn't work for their intended purpose and then rediscovered they were perfect for a different product/application.

We should revisit this post thread to share our findings... Smiley Wink

Highlighted

Lol, you definitely deserve to after all the research you did. Smiley Happy 

And, yeah, we should! I had a hard time choosing between those 2 brushes, too. So, I definitely am curious about the 1 I did not get. (J125R). 

And, hmm. You are right. They probably can be used for something else most of the time. Smiley Happy

Anyway, I will be back on this thread after I receive and use my new brushes. 

Dear opinionatedjenn and DiVWA

Please come back and share your thoughts about those brushes

I'm very curios about them, and planning to place Hakuhodo order soon too Smiley Happy

I promise I will as soon as I receive them! Smiley Happy

For the J214R, Mac 239 dupe and J4004. 

I received my brushes today. Ordered the on the 5th and already got them today (the 8th)! Sephora won't let me upload the pictures though. It says: Error Code: Upload Failed. Does anyone know how to fix that? 

them*

I have been using Hakuhodo brushes for years. Here are my brushes:

S142L – It blends the colors on my eyes so easily, use it lightly for a flawless effect. MY FAVORITE<3

G5556L – Foundation/Cream blush brush

I also got a full set (they are so amazing):

Powder brush / Blush brush / Eyeshadow brush / Lip brush / Pouch for travel

My blog : Makuality (Google it)

I bet they are. I want to slowly upgrade all of my brushes to Hakuhodo. Smiley Happy

@marika123, I'm unable to reply directly to your comment asking me to update when I got my brushes.

I tried out both the J214R and the J125R. I've only used each of them once so my opinion could change after I've had more time using them. Both brushes are soft. The J214R seems to be a bit better for overall blending and buffing--the bristles on it are a bit longer than on the J125R and it's easier to move the brush around. The J125R seems more densely packed, and this, combined with the bristles being shorter and the brush being angled, means this brush is better at more direct application and blending, like in the crease that goes diagonally down from the tear duct. I like both brushes a lot and see myself using both of them for under-eye concealer.

I also used my Le Metier de Beaute Large Concealer Brush for initial application--this brush is pricy but it's wider than most concealer brushes, sort of like a small version of a foundation brush, and I think this is the best traditional concealer type brush I've owned (although it's wider and has more/longer bristles than the traditional brushes). I'm not sure how either the J214R or J125R would perform in initial application -- I tend to use a synthetic flat brush or fingers for the initial dotting/spreading of concealer under my eyes. I suspect they would be okay but these are like eyeshadow brushes to me, in which I tend to keep blending brushes separate from application ones (so the bristles used for blending don't have too much product on them).

I think if only one Hakuhodo brush could be purchased, the J214R is the one to get first, especially if creamier or thicker concealers are being used. This assumes that one already owns a traditional concealer brush for applying, or uses fingers or sponge or something for initial application. If more targeted concealing is being done, such as on small areas of the cheek or other small areas of the face, then it's worthwhile to get the J125R as a second brush.

Conversation Stats
  • 54 replies
  • 44 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
Photos6
  • upload_1760209435673156794.jpg
  • s142l.jpg
  • g5556l.jpg
  • imag0908.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg