Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Advisors

Dry/Cakey Foundation

My skin is driving me crazy! Whenever I put my foundation on you can tell-looks dry/cakey in a way. I have used the matt velvet and boscia, applied with the beauty blender. I also use the OH walnut exfoliator and GlamGlow thirsty mud. I do moisturize and prime.

Re: Dry/Cakey Foundation

Which is the primer that you use?

Which product from Boscia do you/have you used in particular? Is it the BB cream you're referring to?

How often do you exfoliate and are you using harsh pressure or pressing against skin in a rough manner when using the Ole Henriksen Walnut Exfoliator?

Smashbox Primer and BB

Exfoliating every 2-3 days- my skin is very smooth and looks healthy until I put on foundation. 

Which Smashbox primer in particular are you using?

What moisturizer do you use? Since the OH Walnut Scrub is a physical exfoliant, you might consider cutting usage down to 1-2x a week to see if that helps.

Is there a particular reason you're using the MUFE Velvet Matte foundation? The look and finish that it gives along with the Boscia BB cream are two different facets. Do you have a preference in finish and coverage you want?

Highlighted

Ionic Photo Finish- 

Lady at Sephora chose the Matt Velvet when I told her what I wanted.

The Boscia BB was what I looked up and that matched to my "concerns".-I am just using a sample of it.

I would like a dewy look natural with medium coverage. 

I just don't want my face to look dried out.

I am light skinned with pink undertones then the redness on cheeks and chin. 

For starters, if you wanted a dewy look, something that states "matte" in its title isn't going to deliver dewy.

If you want to stick with MUFE, try the HD foundation instead, that offers a softer, more satin-like finish with medium/buildable coverage while the Velvet Matte offers full coverage.

Is your skin oily, dry, combination, blemish prone, or sensitive?

That's why I was surprised she gave me a matte foundation.

They don't have my shade in the HD foundation.

combination

If your skin is combination but your overall goal is still for a dewy look, my above response still stands that using a matte finish foundation to aid in oil/shine will still not yield a dewy look.

If your shade was not available in the HD category, try Smashbox's Liquid Halo, it offers light to medium coverage, is oil free, and the gel-encapsulated pigments wear very well on combination skin as to not feel weighted. Optical diffusers provide a soft focus finish on skin to give you that dewy, supple finish. Pair that with a silicone based primer so you can manage shine on that aspect rather than with your foundation.

Should clarify that a little better... My face gets oily but looks dry-flakey

I highly recommend trying kat Von D's primer. It is exquisite. I have dry skin, but that primer moisturizes my skin, hides my pores, AND makes my foundations glide on smoothly. 

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors