Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Bath & Body
|

Treating keratosis pilaris (chicken skin)

How do you treat this for those with darker skin? Thanks!

Treating keratosis pilaris (chicken skin)

@LeahTori You should look into Glytone. It's a body wash with glycolic acid that I use a couple times a week to keep my skin smooth. It's a bit pricey and doesn't smell lovely, but it really works.

RE: Treating keratosis pilaris (chicken skin)

I used a charcoal soap for the backs of my arms and it made a noticeable difference. I suggest the HERBIVORE bamboo charcoal detoxifying soap bar

Re: Treating keratosis pilaris (chicken skin)

I totally get you pain and I just discovered something that has actually helped! I'm been dealing this for years to the point where I hated wearing sleeveless. COSRX 'One Step Pimple Clearing Pads'. These are meant for the face but I use them on my upper arms - sometimes I'll use one for each arm and have noticed a huge difference (in a week!). They are also reasonable at $20 CAD for 70 pads. Basically, a chemical exfoliant really helps. I've heard about moisturizers with Glycolic or Salycilic acid but haven't been able to find anyone. 

I also have on order the Ordinary Glycolic 7%, hopefully that helps as its an even cheaper option!!

I've had KP on my arms for as long as I could remember, until I got into my 20's and eventually it started to go away on its own. What took care of the residual KP was body cream with alpha hydroxy acid (AHA). I used Paula's Choice, but there are many other options out there if you want to give that a try...

I inherited scaly looking legs from my mother (my mom, sister and I all have it) and this cream helped take care of that, too, when moisturizing didn't make any difference.

RE: Treating keratosis pilaris (chicken skin)

For years I’ve had bumps on the back of my legs and Im not sure if it’s keratosis pilaris put I’ve tried a couple of different things to treat it. I’ve used Dermadoctor’s KP Duty cream and that worked really well as long as I used it consistently. Gold Bond Rough and Bumpy cream works pretty well also. I just started dry brushing my legs and using Sol de Janeiro Bum Bum cream and the bumps on my legs are almost all gone.

Re: RE: Treating keratosis pilaris (chicken skin)

What is dry brushing? My son has KP o  his face.

Both of my daughters have very sensitive skin. One of them had this just few months ago (around July/August) and she uses prescription cream. 
We are advised to let her use mild soaps/non fragrant soap and shampoo.
Put hydrating lotion morning and night. My daughter uses Eucerin 
Don’t wear too tight clothing that can irritate your skin. My daughter said it was itchy.  So try not to itch your skin. 

I hope it gets better soon. 

TBH nothing topical really helps. I'd suggest seeking out a naturopath for advice on this and doing some research online. Cutting all gluten from your diet should really help but it takes a while. I think at least 30 days to see a difference.  That's why I suggested to seek out a naturopath... because they are in a better position to help with this. Sorry. I know it sucks but in everything I've come across this is probably the best option.

Following this. I have it between my collarbones. I have no clue how to get rid of it or at least make it less noticeable.

9 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing