Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Bath & Body
|

Body acne doesn't respond to Salicylic Acid.

The acne on my chest/arms/back isn't horrible, but it is stubborn and persistent enough to where I don't like to wear anything that shows my arms or back. Salicylic Acid in acne prone body washes doesn't seem to make a difference. What has helped the most was using Nizoral dandruff shampoo on my back! Since Ketoconazole (active ingredient in Nizoral) is an anti-fungal medication, I'm wondering if my body acne isn't actually the "regular acne," that normally responds well to SA based treatments, but rather a problem with the natural bacteria/yeast found on skin? Has anyone else experienced this before? What products helped you the most? Nizoral has helped a lot, but it isn't meant to be used long term. Thanks!!!

RE: Body acne doesn't respond to Salicylic Acid.

This sounds like it could be dermatitis or keratosis pillaris. Keratolytic agents (20% urea, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, tretinoin/retinol) or anti-fungal ingredients (ketoconazole, selenium sulfide, Pyrithione zinc) may be more effective. Also, try using a leave on product. Unless you’re allowing the product to sit like a mask, you’re likely not leaving it on long enough to make a difference.

Re: Body acne doesn't respond to Salicylic Acid.

@wareagle0223I actually used to use head & shoulders for a body wash, bc it seemed to help!  before that there was a body was that seemed to work well, I think it was by noxzema, but then it disappeared - I think bc the active ingredient, troclosan, was banned. 😞

I haven't tried the one you mentioned, but I saw on dr.oz that that ingredient is apparently good for thinning hair, also!

@wareagle0223 hopefully you found some good options already but, in case you haven't, I just wanted to say that I've been using Nizoral on my scalp 2-3 times a week since I was 15 years old... and I'm 40 now. After struggling for almost a year with an increasingly itchy back, I've also started using it on my back and the lower part of my arms (applying it like a paste for ten minutes before showering it off about once a fortnight). 

I've never had any negative reactions other than needing to use a butt ton of conditioner. 

If you haven't already, please do search for simpleskincarescience - this is a great resource for anyone struggling with this issue.

@wareagle0223 Nizoral is drying and can strip the skin of natural oils, besides being blue. You may have folliculitis instead of true acne. Talk with your doc. Otc doesn't always work for stubborn conditions, as Otc strength's are low nor when thinking it's one thing, but not. It could be hormonal too, but a doc needs to test for hormones levels, usually not a part of a routine blood test. Could be an allergy response too.

Cleansers do get washed away before they can do much, like @greeneyedgirl107 mentioned. Docs will do a two part routine, simple cleanser and a leave on topical or pill.

@wareagle0223 SA in a body wash won't do much because it gets washed away before it can do anything.  It needs to be applied as a treatment.  Also, many SA products have a low concentration or don't have the right pH.  I high rec using Paula's Choice BHA - start with the 2%.  PC even has a larger squeeze tube made for the body, but IDK how well that works since I haven't tried it.

I don't know anything about Nizoral....

I rec washing your body with a gentle body wash (see beautypedia for rec's; I like Target's knock-off from Aveeno Naturals; FAB makes a good one; and Target also have a knock-off of Dove's sensitive skin).  Then, applying the BHA.  You can spot treat with Persa-gel, but remember that it stains clothing, hair and sheets -- so I would apply before bed and sleep in pajamas/sheets that you don't care about.  If you feel like you need more help, you can ask your MD for an Rx of Differin.  I personally don't think the OTC one does much.

Good luck!

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing