Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Age Defiers

taking care of your face at 30??

am turning 30 and i never put lotion on my face or facial wash. My friends are telling me i need to moisturizer toner and exfoliate etc

Tags (1)

yeah, it would be a good idea to start. but you dont have...

yeah, it would be a good idea to start. but you dont have to jump into a crazy 15 step regimen. just a good cleanser twice a day, and a lotion with spf. a good scrub cleaner a couple times a week.   ill recommend philosophy if you want sephora products, but olay is very good too. i always used olay "hydrating beauty fluid" for day and "night of olay" at night. ive been trying out some other brands too, like estee lauder and philosophy.  im turning 30 in a month, so i figured i might try to step it up a bit.  but if you havent been using anything, im guessing you have pretty good skin to begin with. good luck!!

If you aren't experiencing any issues with your skin, I w...

If you aren't experiencing any issues with your skin, I would go easy on introducing a lot of new products, which could irritate your otherwise happy skin. Cetaphil cleanser which is available at drugstores is an excellent, inexpensive gentle face wash. I would definitely recommend a good sunblock as UV rays are the biggest cause of wrinkles and sunspots that develop as we age. Moisturizer like Murad Essential C Day Moisturizer SPF 30 is a very good one, and if you are going to be out in the sun, use a high SPF sunblock like LaRoche-Posay Anthelios 60 ultra light fluid sunscreen, and reapply every 2 hours. Make sure you use sunscreen every day, not just sunny, summer ones, UV damage is cumulative and occurs whenever it is daylight! 

Hi, Just a few tidbits of info. for introducing skincare...

Hi,

Just a few tidbits of info. for introducing skincare for the first time @30:

Need for a toner is controversial. Some experts say it's pretty useless and to save your money.  Others suggest that the toner sets the stage for your moisturizer and should match the brand/line of your moisturizer.  If you use a cleanser to remove all the oils on your skin surface it is important to put pack on some with moisturizers; it will also be important to moisturize after you exfoliate.  Take a good look at your face, smile in the mirror and look to assess the needs of your skin. Even in the absence of blemishes, you may notice lines around your eyes and maybe dullness? These are things I never saw happen but  a good skincare regime can help me with when I started shortly after 30 too.  SPF is important but I wouldn't recommend wearing SPF 24hrs. So consider SPF separate from your moisturizer or a separate day moisturizer with SPF and night cream  without.

I think that it's great that you are wanting to take care...

I think that it's great that you are wanting to take care of your skin at 30--I wish that I had started that early.  At your age you really need a very simple skincare routine.  Since you didn't mention your skin type, I looked at your profile page and saw that you have oily skin (like me).  So I'd recommend using a good cleanser and a good sunscreen.  The sun is our #1 enemy when it comes to premature aging, so wearing a sunscreen is so very important.

I'd recommend using Caudalie Instant Foaming Cleanser which is an all natural soap-free cleanser that really does a great job of cleaning all the oil, dirt, bacteria and makeup out of my pores.  You can read about it here:  http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P12978&categoryId=B70

For a sunscreen, I'd recommend using a mineral powder sunscreen that serves a dual purpose of protecting you from the sun and helping to keep your skin from becoming oily throughout the day.  The one I'd recommend trying is Peter Thomas Roth Oily Problem Skin Instant Mineral SPF 30 which works immediately to block out the sun's harmful UVA, UVB, and infrared rays to help prevent sunburn, skin damage, freckling and discoloration.  The matte powder absorbs oil, helping to reduce shine and prevent future breakouts and it leaves a nice matte finish over your foundation.  I use it as the last step of my makeup application.  It's handy, too, because it comes with a self-contained brush so you can even carry it with you for touchups throughout the day if you start to get shiny.  You can read more about it at: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P235909&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=3728

I hope this helps you.  Smiley Happy

The age doesn't matter. I'm 20 and I started to taking ca...

The age doesn't matter. I'm 20 and I started to taking care of my face two years ago.

This is what you essentially need:

-Cleanser

-Scrub three times a week or a treatment

-Toner

-Antioxidant Serum

-Moisturizer

-Sunscreen

I don't know what your skin type is, but anyway, always go for a slightly foaming cleanser (never too creamy or not foaming at all) that doesn't feel dry or tight after cleansing. Also, check out at the ingredients list, and look for ingredients like sodium PCA, sodium hyaluronate and aloe barbadensis leaf juice, these ingredients are water-binding agents and prevent water loss to keep your skin optimum and hydrated always.

If you're starting to having problems with your skin (like fine lines, dark spots, uneven skin tone, dull complexion, etc), I would recommend an AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acids) treatment, at night only. The most well-known AHAs are glycolic acid and lactic acid, these are the two most common ingredients in AHAs treatments. These treatments are leave-on exfoliants that can exfoliate dead and damaged skin cells by breaking down the substance in skin that holds skin cells together. Eventually, they will help you bright and renew your complexion. But, if you're not having any of these problems yet, I would recommend that you use a scrub three times a week, this is an essential step, because your skin at 30, has no longer the ability to renew itself as well at 20, causing the acummulation of dead and damaged skin cells that can end on a dull and dry complexion, and also prevent the proper absorption of other essential products like moisturizers or sunscreens. So, a scrub is essential.

A toner should be simply an hydrating booster. Look at the ingredients list and search for these ingredients: hyaluronic acid, sodium PCA, glycerin, aloe barbadensis leaf juice. Also soothing ingredients like centella asiatica and chamomille would be the best.

An antioxidant combination is the most essential thing. Can prevent free-radical damage from UV exposure, prevent signs of aging and correct some signs of UV damage. To me the antioxidants are the best anti-aging products, to prevent cells oxidation, aging and also provide sun protection (sunscreens can only block 50% of UV radiation, leaving your skin still vulnerable, always remember this). Two of the top antioxidants are vitamin C (ascorbic acid) and vitamin E (alpha tocopherol), but there are some others like Ferulic Acid. I use SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic, but it's a bit expensive ($142), so you can go for another vitamin C serum, but, always remember that an antioxidant is broad-spectrum and really effective if is combined with some others antioxidants, like vitamin E.

Hyaluronic Acid and vitamin B5 (panthenol) are what your moisturizer should contain. Hyaluronic acid can boost skin's moisture content and help prevent moisture loss. Vitamin B5 help with tissue repair, replenishing nutrients and prevent water-loss. With age, your skin starts to lose its ability to renew itself and starts lacking moisture and eventually, starts to lose its firmness ending on fine lines and wrinkles. So, keep your skin nourished is essential.

Finally, the sunscreen is a must. Prevents photoaging caused by UV exposure. An SPF 20 or higher would be the best. Use it daily at least 30 minutes before go out and reapply every one or two hours.

If you don't want to invest in so many products at once,...

If you don't want to invest in so many products at once, for exfoliating try using a simple terry washcloth to exfoliate your face once a week. Remember to not scrub harder if you need more exfoliation, but scrub longer. As for cleansers, did you say that you've never used facial wash? If you have good skin already, I would say to keep your cleanser simple and get a drugstore brand because ultimately you're washing this stuff off anyway. No use in buying something that won't absorb into your skin. Of course avoid menthol and sodium laurel sulfate because those ingredients can be drying. I'm on the fence about toners, but I use the Olay one just for my neck. If you have an effective cleanser, you shouldn't need a toner. As for a moisturizer, again if your skin is fine as is, just stick with a simple sunscreen with anti-aging ingredients. I'm sure that's moisturizing enough. Remember to work one product at a time into your regimen because if your skin does not react to a product well, you might not know which product was the cause of it. Good luck!

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors