Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

middle aged porcelain skin - love my foundation match, but now that rest looks flat and I look old...not glowy

I finally found a foundation match in MUFE Y205. you honesty can't tell I'm wearing it. I had thought 225 was looking pretty hot, and my face had a nice \"glow\"...until a stranger (who was not being mean, btw) ,pointed out how orange it was when my jaw compared to my neck. anyway my friends admitted that yes they just didn't want to tell me for fear of hurting my feelings (sigh). anyway, this colour is perfect, but man, am I pale. I wore really neutral colours prior and now I look totallywashed out and I don't even know where to restart. the only thing I have that still works is a really dark buxom lip gloss in Royale, that I layer with buxom dolly or Marc Jacobs pretty thing, but I have to HAVEto have the purple of the Royale under it. all my blushes are either too dark (my husband asked if I got burnt...) and when I went lighter they hardly do anything. and I my light eye neutrals are a joke now, but I tried greys and I look like I got punched in the face. contour just looks dirty and bronzer LOLOLOL im rooted platinum blond, dry skin, hazel eyes. mega moisturizer and sunscreen 50+ daily. vitamin c, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, and ceramide (all in rotation). im over 40, my skin looks good, genetic forehead lines (not the 11's) and light crosshatching under my eyes and dark circles. i look awesome in bright pink and emerald green shirts. someone please point me in the right direction for help. what the heck do I do for blush, contour, and eyeshadow now? I think my high beam highlighter still works...but it's subtle. I look older because I have no more "glow" ...even though my skin does and looks good.

Re: middle aged porcelain skin - love my foundation match, but now that rest looks flat and I look old...not glowy

Hi there, by now you probably have your look figured out and are feeling fabulous again. Your post hit home with me, because a couple of years ago I looked in the mirror and suddenly realized how washed out I looked.  My solution was to embrace my porcelain skin (Andalou 1000 Roses Tint in Nude, dusting of loose translucent mineral powder over top), eschewing bronzer & Co. (for evening Benefit blush in a Carnation shade works well). I cover my hair for religious reasons, so from the mostly black or grey scarves that was my "uniform" for over 25 years I migrated to a selection of jewel tones and fun prints, and added colorful shirts to match. Daily musts are filling in eyebrows with MAC taupe pencil (the automatic superfine tip), sometimes a nude eye, time permitting, always line eyes, curl lashes,  add a couple of coats of Benefit Rollerball Mascara. Top the whole thing off with a classic red, bright pink, or berry lip in a satin formula, done! Oh, and always wear earrings 🙂

Anonymous Insider

middle aged porcelain skin - love my foundation match, but now that rest looks flat and I look old...not glowy

I'm 49 and bare minerals is the best foundation ever! If you like a liquid foundation( creme) try Kiss it says Briadway and it's a satin matte finish,or Classic and Chic Blur..Can get at walmart or walgreens.I do not like to see my pores or anything looking like I have foundation on.Getting a pearly,light color illuminatir to lightly put at the top of cheekbones forehead an middle chin will give you a youthful look.I put my face right up on the mirror in the sunlight to gauge my foundation because wgat looks good in the bathroom or 5 feet away dies not bode well for outsude,clise up,or flourescent lights.In the daytime i just dab my finger in a light gold,tan glittery eyeshadow abd jyst put on lid with a mauve gloss.Loving pink and mauves for eyeshadows.Summertime really light pink on lids,mauve outer corner and crease,whit eyebrow highlight.Love popping light frosty pink in middle of lips in Spring and Summer too.I try to avoid any glitter on my lids other than the quick daytime dab I mentioned as I think that ages our eyes.During the day I line my bottom lash underneath with just eyeshadow( same shade or slightly darking than crease and for night when I do the black liner I jyst line from outer cirner to midway in to unage me....lol.Hope you get something out if the tips! Getting older is fabulous!😉
Anonymous Insider

Re: middle aged porcelain skin - love my foundation match, but now that rest looks flat and I look old...not glowy

If you look good in bright pink shirts then you'd probably look good in bright pink blush and/or lipstick.

Have you tried anything with orange tones?  I bet an orange eyeshadow would work well for you.  Think vibrant colors, not earth tones.

Sorry I took so long to reply. YOU ARE A GENIUS. Oranges....

Sorry I took so long to reply. YOU ARE A GENIUS. Oranges. reds. yellows. COPPER for some bling. not silver. coral blush. CORAL. Not pink. FREAKING SPECTACULAR. I wouldn't have picked any of these for everyday use, and they seem counterintuitive based on my colouring, but you were right. I also went back to my natural colour and that shaved about about 5 years off my appearance. the makeup you recommended makes me look so much better. my application ability is still sketchy, so I do pretty basic looks, but wow what a difference. THANK YOU!! those colour charts from the 1980s (what season am I?) need to die. I look better in chocolate brown even though I'd be a "winter". Great advice you gave me. I even stole a palette from my daughter lol!

I meant to add coral leaning pinky. full on coral was too...

I meant to add coral leaning pinky. full on coral was too orange. bright pink was too much bc I'm so pale. but you weren't wrong. needed brighter!

okay, I will try that. I'm sure my daughter has a pallett...

okay, I will try that. I'm sure my daughter has a pallette that would have that. I never thought of orange...like REALLY orange. I'll find a look and put something together. for pink blush I'll have to fake it with lipstick today (yay for multitasking products). you're the best. thanks for your help. I'll report back as to how it works out.
Anonymous Insider

Re: okay, I will try that. I'm sure my daughter has a pallett...

Have fun with it! I can't wait to hear how you did.

I bet you'd like Benefit Galifornia blush for both the color and the glow.  And for the orange eyeshadow, Google search it to see how it's done.  It's a fun, brave, color.  Just be careful to play up only one area at  time.

Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing