Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers

Women in their 40's and how make up and skin care is different

As we get into our 40's us ladies notice a change in our skin. We have fine lines and our make starts to look different. What has always worked before doesn't work now. On this post we can discuss what works and what's best for our skin and to look our best. I started this post so ladies in the 40's can get the help they need.

Re: Women in their 40's and how make up and skin care is different

The thing that has amazed me is how many oils I put on my face now. When I was 20, I barely moisturized. I mean, I think a lot of us had no clue what we were supposed to do. If 20 year old me knew that 40 year old me was going to be slathering herself in oils and thick creams, she’d have been shocked. Oh, and that I never use a scrubbing/physical exfoliant. My young skin lived on St. Ives apricot scrub. Oh, and powder! I never wear powder anymore. I have yet to find one that doesn’t settle into the fine lines on my face. Everything about my skin care screams DEWY! But, I think, other than a few age spots (which I’m dealing handling with the help of a dermatologist), my skin is in the best shape its every been. Smooth, soft, no breakouts, and such a clear, blackhead-free nose. 

Women in their 40's and how make up and skin care is different

@Bamamom9703 ohhh I'm loving this topic! I'm currently on the hunt for a good, "real" clean serum for my fine lines and tone discoloration. I've been reading more (maybe too much more) into the ingredients and even some that Sephora deem "clean" aren't really that safe. It's all so confusing and contradictory. Some of the products I've been using that I thought were good for me are turning out to not be. How do you decifer it all? I use a lot of Asian brands and try to follow a good K-J-Asian routine and thought I had a solid one. Is anyone else going through anything similar? Have you overcome the "ingredient wall/nightmare "? I'm currently using in this regime 1. Wash with Elemis rose balm, 2. Second wash with Tony Moly Peach water, 3. Tone with Peach and Lily Good Acids Toner, 4. Peach and Lily's Wild Dew Essence, 5. Serum- Peach and Lily's Glass skin and Herbivore Bakuchiol serum, 6. Juice Beauty Emulsion, 7. Herbivore Lapis Oil or Julep Rosehip Oil (I alternate nights) + 8. either Peach and Lily's Matcha pudding face cream or one of my sleeping masks (Glow Recipe's Watermelon mask or Avocado mask, Fountain of Truth Dream Glow mask, or I have several others). Oh! plus I use Boscias eye cream (the purple color one) and Philosophy's lip stuff. Sooo....can anyone suggest anything to improve this? I want more natural, organic, healthier for you items than these. Granted some of these are great, the Herbivore products I won't change. I'm almost out of P&L serum, which is what prompted this search that I didn't expect to take so long! i don't want to add another AHA to my lineup. help!!! sorry this is so long but you opened up a big ol can of worms with that question!! haha!! TIA!! Mel

RE: Women in their 40's and how make up and skin care is different

I was reading your response and it mirrors my own concerns and what I’ve been moving towards. Over the last several months, I’ve restructured my skincare regiment towards a more Asian inspired system, particularly Korean. I have to say, it truly has changed both the appearance and the overall feel of my skin on my face, neck, and hands...the three areas that I’ve concentrated on. It’s pretty time consuming and detailed but it’s, for me, been very rewarding. One of the best things about my regiment is that I can mix and match products that I like with different brands and the price points are surprisingly decent. There’s a lot of information online about the 10-step Korean skincare regiment. That includes the exfoliating and sheet mask elements, which you don’t do every day. But, in my opinion, following this program, even at 80%, concentrating on the double cleanse and essence, along with the moisture, will give you unbelievable results in no time! There’s tons of different brands, many available here on the Sephora website. The ingredients tend to be simple, clean, and pretty minimalist but slightly different than what most western skincare products offer.

hey @mellyski ! thanks for responding to this. I just saw...

hey @mellyski ! thanks for responding to this. I just saw this so apologies for not responding earlier. can I ask specifics of the products you use and what areas you are treating? I just bought 3 of Edible beauty's serums and their "try me" set to see if I liked them. haven't used long enough to report on them yet. I just want products that are effective, clean, and cost prohibitive. oh also I purchased one Primara's toners, hoping that will be effective as well. thanks for jumping in and helping!
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 20 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing