Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Age Defiers

Ugh Iโ€™m over 40 now๐Ÿ˜œ

So everyday since I was 25, Iโ€™ve been wearing different kinds of face lotions for firming your skin! People always guess me to be 10 - 15 years younger than I am!  But does any have suggestions on how to fade the dark spots from the sun?

Re: Ugh Iโ€™m over 40 now๐Ÿ˜œ

I've had a lot of success using the Goop vitamin C product - it's gentle so takes a bit more time but I don't have the type of skin I can be harsh with anymore now that I'm over 40 too ๐Ÿ˜‚  It's really lightened my sunspots and goes on very nicely as a first step in the morning.

@DriverGirl  I totally agree with @WinglessOne  she is a skincare guru! Iโ€™ve had great results using Summer Fridays CC Me Vitamin C + Niacinamide Serum 1.0 oz/ 30 mL  and Peter Thomas Roth PRO Strength Niacinamide Discoloration Treatment 1.7 oz/ 50 mL i use both and my spots are pretty much gone!! Bonus the vitamin c gives the skin a nice glow after you apply it! 

@DriverGirl  The usual go-to ingredients to repair sun damage hyperpigmentation are retinoids (retinol, retinaldehyde, tretinoin, etc.) and vitamin C. For my particular skin, retinoids have been vastly superior because they boost my skin's own collagen production and speed up the whole skin renewal process. Have you ever used one before? 

If you're a retinoid newbie, start low and slow: pick a low-strength retinol product (below, say, 0.3% retinol) and use it just once or twice a week for a few weeks, to see how your skin tolerates it. Then increase usage to 2 or 3 times a week for a while, and so on until you're at a comfy-for-you frequency like daily or ever other day. You can also see a dermatologist or other doctor about prescription strength tretinoin if you want. But an OTC retinol or retinaldehyde product can be very effective, just slower to show results than tretinoinโ€”and even tretinoin's not an overnight miracle. 

And of course, wear a broad spectrum sunscreen (at least SPF 30) daily, and reapply every couple hours, regardless of weather or season. ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing